DPrice

Does frame look repaired?

DPrice

Can't go look at it in person but this front has bugged me. Besides the rod does anything look none factory.

IMG_20240302_093651345.jpg

• Like 1

D_Mac

You have to consider the age of these machines. Over the years previous owners will have made changes and or modifications to keep them in service. Finding one completely original dosnt come easily or cheaply for that matter. Clearly its going to need some work. Thats the fun part, making them your own. What ever has been done, can be undone. What ever needs to be done, can be done. Its up to you to figure out how much time and money you are willing to part with. I have been known to spend more then I should have on both of these areas on some of my mine. That being said, I have always been very happy with how they came out. A few I have kept, most I have passed on to the next person. That person could have redone, none, some , most, or all of the changes I made. I get my kicks out of bringing them back to life again. I love getting them running and driving again. For the right price I would load that in the back of my truck and be happy as can be to have it. Cant tell much from photo but Im guessing it is a Wheel Horse 654 ? Im not very knowledgeable on round hoods. Im only guessing. What I find off pudding is the muffler being on the same side as the pull cord. Maybe thats normal, I dont know. Someone will be along shortly who will know exactly.

@Achto , @Pullstart @WHX?? , @squonk

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

DPrice

Yeah it's a 654 needs a ton of work and belt guard. It has the wrong engine on it has an hm80 on it now. I have a new sbh169c short block for it, If the frames ok. The metal all thread is just hanging there.

• Like 1

WHX??

Couldn't have said it any better Mac. 

Prolly used the rod for pulling it around? It can come off along with any frame work as required. 

• Like 3

ri702bill

Look underneath at the "F" plate when you do finally see it. Check for cracking around the 4 Unidrive bolt holes....

If it looks like this 854 frame, cracked AND twisted, figure that into the price. If it is cracked, check the lower cast iron steering block - it too may be broken.....

1404924880_DamagedFrame.jpg.38674e7e6faec23e48e13496fe69b5ca.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

We may have discussed this before.     I know some feel front ags steer better if they are installed backwards.     Is there a reason to run the rears backwards?

SylvanLakeWH
7 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

We may have discussed this before.     I know some feel front ags steer better if they are installed backwards.     Is there a reason to run the rears backwards?

Only if you drive exclusively in reverse...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

wallfish
18 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Is there a reason to run the rears backwards?

When you can't even afford to pay attention

• Haha 7

DPrice

I think it might have been built up grease I saw and freaked out thinking it was welded. Mower was free going to replace the rears with the original style turf kinda like the fronts. Working on getting the engine sorted and still need the correct tins and exhaust pipe and elbow for it.

• Like 1

D_Mac

The " Big Show" is coming up soon. I would imagine you could get everything you needed there. Plus, you can see some nice Wheel Horses and get some ideas for yours. Good luck with it. Welcome to Red Square. Keep us updated. 

• Excellent 2

Pullstart
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

If you get stuck you can always back out :confusion-confused:

Edited by Pullstart
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Ed Kennell
1 minute ago, Pullstart said:

If you get stuck you can always back out :confusion-confused:

Oh, sorta like never use your 4WD to get to the boonies.     Then you can always use is to get back home.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Achto
7 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Only one real reason that I know of - Competition pulling on pavement. I personally have never pulled on pavement but I know that most people run their tires backwards for such an occasion.

• Like 2

953 nut
18 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Oh, sorta like never use your 4WD to get to the boonies.     Then you can always use is to get back home.

My stepson wanted to buy a four wheel drive truck because he would get his two wheel drive stuck when he went hunting. I told him the only thing that would change is the length of the cable the wrecker would need to pull him out! Got to be a tad bit smarter than the mud you are driving into,   :hide:  He ain't!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

953 nut
22 hours ago, DPrice said:

does anything look none factory

:WRS:

Go get it.    That appears to be about as good an original condition sixty year old :wh: as you could ever find.  :handgestures-thumbupright:     Even the front tires look original though you will probably want to replace them.        :ychain: 

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
4 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:

Even the front tires look original though you will probably want to replace them.        :ychain: 

Nah, put in a couple heavy duty tubes and they will run for another 60 years.

• Haha 3

Handy Don
On 3/3/2024 at 9:15 AM, 953 nut said:

Got to be a tad bit smarter than the mud

I’ve only gotten a vehicle stuck once, back when I was a new driver. Having to get a farmer to pull me out with his tractor was extremely embarrassing--he was a good egg and didn’t charge me but he did get a good chuckle at my expense.

Since then I never to ask a vehicle to do anything it isn’t designed to do.

• Like 2