Moonshine*Connoisseur

'76 Maverick V8/ 4 speed swap

Moonshine*Connoisseur

Out with the inline 6 and C4 automatic, going in a fresh 289 and 4 speed toploader manual transmission. 

20240223_120913.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Moonshine*Connoisseur

20240223_112028.jpg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

I do like most inline engines a lot but there's something neat about a small car with a good strong V8 too.  

• Like 4

Moonshine*Connoisseur

The inline 6 engine that came out runs great, no smoke or knock, car sat in an auction yard since 1991, 90,000 original miles. I put it back on the road in 2020 when I purchased it, I've taken it to car shows and the wife and kids to get ice cream with it, but the time has come for a little more power and fun with a 4 speed manual. Been building this V8 combo since 2021. There is an annual Maverick/Pinto/Mustang II show every August at Geneva on the lake, Ohio. I took it there last year, I want to get this ready for this year's meet. I'm early on the schedule. I can't wait lol. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ri702bill

Nice looking Maverick, but, too many door handles. Unless you want to build a total sleeper!!! 

• Like 3

Moonshine*Connoisseur

Good eye, I would assume that's why it sat all those years unwanted...no one wants a 4 door Maverick, except me, I saved it from the crusher. I'm not a Ford guy but this car has grown on me. 

• Like 6

D_Mac

Way back when, I used to have a 71 Maverick Grabber. 302 V8, 2 barrel carb, 4 speed, duel point ignition, headers, aluminum slot racing wheels, Hurst Competition Plus shifter, Hayes Street Stip clutch. Might say a little too much car for a young teenager to be behind the wheel of. Then again some of my other friends were driving a 66 GTO, 67 Firebird, 70 Trans AM. Grace of God none of us ever wrecked because back then you could also legally drink when you were 18. I have a lot of memories with that car. Was the second car I ever owned. First car was a 70 VW Karmann Ghia. My parents were very strick about me paying for my own car, paying my own insurance, paying for any maintenance and repairs. So naturally I got a speeding ticket in that car and had my licence suspended. So then Im 17 yrs old trying to get auto insurance with a speeding ticket and suspended licence. High risk... Cha Ching cha ching cha ching learned my lesson. To this day the only speeding ticket I ever got. Like I said earlier.... a lot of memories.

Grabber Angle.jpg

Grabber Passenger Side.jpg

Grabber Rear.jpg

img010 (2).jpg

img011 (2).jpg

img012.jpg

Maverick Hurst Shifter.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

Moonshine*Connoisseur

@D_Mac thank you for sharing your story. I love hearing of days past. What a nice ride, what became of your Maverick?  Ive had a few vehicles that ive been sorry that i either traded or sold, never again, im holding on to what I got.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

D_Mac

Back then I didn't hold on to my cars very long. My father was in the car business and would come up with deals for me. However I did hang on to that Maverick until I was into my twenties. I finally traded it to some guy for a 71 El Camino and some cash. I had some nice cars. Wish I had a few of them now. I would settle for even some pictures of them. Back then everyone didn't have a camera in their pocket like we do now. 

• Like 4

Pullstart
14 hours ago, ri702bill said:

Nice looking Maverick, but, too many door handles. Unless you want to build a total sleeper!!! 

13 hours ago, Moonshine*Connoisseur said:

Good eye, I would assume that's why it sat all those years unwanted...no one wants a 4 door Maverick, except me, I saved it from the crusher. I'm not a Ford guy but this car has grown on me. 

Like the ‘57 I have waiting in the barn for me, it being a 4 door had no real big collector value.  It’s perfect for the family to hop in and take a cruise though!

8F56C2DF-31C4-49C7-BFCF-B5CE06966A9B.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

D_Mac

If you want a family cruiser..... nothing beats a 5 door !!! My 91 Caprice 

20220511_062643.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 2

Moonshine*Connoisseur

Here's the same car, in 2020, the day we brought it home from the bone yard. 

20200104_150250_55700247373164.jpg

• Like 4

8ntruck

@dmac  You should lower it some and put Moon caps on it.

Somebody campaigned a 4 door Maverick in the 70's sucessfully.  I think it was in the one of the stock classes.  Called it the Tijuana Taxi.  The rules gave the four door some sort of weight break.

• Like 2

6wheeler
40 minutes ago, Moonshine*Connoisseur said:

Here's the same car, in 2020, the day we brought it home from the bone yard. 

20200104_150250_55700247373164.jpg

I hope you kept the vinyl top. I see you repainted it. I can't tell if it is on there. My Uncle still has his 71 Torino Brougham. It is a Yellow four door with a black vinyl roof. It has a 351 Cleveland 4bbl. with the factory shaker hood on it. His son is planning on restoring it. But your Maverick?  I smell 1 wicked sleeper. Have fun with it.......

• Like 2

D_Mac

Here is a Then and Now photo. Glad Ford brought the name back but not excited about it being a truck.

A9C1DB6B-3615-4326-9CDE-677DD93C8F16.jpeg

• Like 4

Beap52

My first car was a '70 Maverick.  It was orange,  6 cylinder, three on tree.  No air conditioning.  I drove it to trade school that I attended half day my senior year of high school. I believe Mavericks were advertised at selling for $1,999. I think mine cost a little over $2,200   If I remember, one advertisement for the Maverick showed some women changing the front fender and it was sold as a vehicle you could repair yourself.  For Christmas present from my folks, I got a set of recapped snow tires.   I didn't keep it very long because I traded it in for a new 1971 El Camino.  I picked it up on the day my senior class practiced walking the aisle for my graduation ceremony.  I depended upon the girl walking with me to tell me what to do. I still have the El Camino and drove it yesterday.  I'm pretty sure the El Camino cost $3,688.00. I have the window sticker somewhere.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Moonshine*Connoisseur

The vinyl top was shot, I'm not a fan of it as it retains moisture and could rot out the metal underneath, especially around the window seal. Also replacement vinyl is very expensive.  I opted instead to do something a little different. It is a material called Rock guard, similar to bedliner but not as thick, still gives a textured look. It is marketed for lower rocker panels on vehicles but can be used as an alternative to replacing a vinyl top. You can get it mixed in pretty much any color you want. 

• Like 3

ebinmaine

That's an interesting alternative 🤔 :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

Tractorhead
20 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Like the ‘57 I have waiting in the barn for me, it being a 4 door had no real big collector value.  It’s perfect for the family to hop in and take a cruise though!

8F56C2DF-31C4-49C7-BFCF-B5CE06966A9B.jpeg

I love the outlines of these old Cars.

they be soooo beautiful.

they simply have pretty much more charme than any of the today Cars.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Moonshine*Connoisseur

20240303_153957.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Moonshine*Connoisseur

20240303_170818.jpg

• Like 3

davem1111
18 hours ago, Moonshine*Connoisseur said:

20240303_170818.jpg

I was just thinking, if you're leaving the steering column shifter there, you can mess with people and either tell them it will function as both an auto or manual, or that they can just choose which shifter you like best. :ROTF:

• Haha 4

Moonshine*Connoisseur

@davem1111 funny you say that,  my father in law stopped by the house and I had him help me move the car and we discussed that same exact thing. Wouldn't that throw some people for a loop ?  Im leaving it like that for at least one car show, just to see some reactions, haha !

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

8ntruck

Millineal theft deterrent device?

• Haha 2

Tractorhead

The old Mercedes ponton had steering wheel Shifter on 4 Gear.

no shifter stick on the floor.

not a bad idea.

i would like that.