sjoemie himself

Case International 585

ebinmaine

Should be a good one. Decent reputation with the brand over here.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

tunahead72
3 hours ago, sjoemie himself said:

... Ofcourse it is not a new machine so there are things that will need looking after...

And that's what keeps us all out of trouble.

Enjoy your new tractor!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don
11 hours ago, sjoemie himself said:

built in Doncaster

While doing some work for Case, I got to visit the Doncaster facility as they were building the model that followed that one.

I was impressed at the quality of their marketing, engineering, and production staffs as we discussed the differences between mid-western USA farming and UK/Euro farming.

They joked that in the US farms were so large that you could plow one way in the morning, then turn around, have lunch, and then plow home.

They were serious pointing out that in the UK, plots were often small and bordered so that farmers were constantly making sharp turns.

Hence that market’s demand for still powerful but much more nimble and compact tractors and implements. A real education for me.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@sjoemie himself  real full size tractors , are  very solid , as you well know , a  thorough going over for  function and related  wear , is what you want to check over . with your background , i,m sure that tractor is glad to be where it is !  your previous  responses  says it all about you , Pete 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

Hence that market’s demand for still powerful but much more nimble and compact tractors and implements. A real education for me.

I found a few years ago that similar holds true here given the comparison of New England to the Dakotas.  

Fascinating differences.  

Also in my own world of trucking.  

There are thousands of drivers that won't drive anywhere in the  northeast   US because they make so much less money being paid by the mile.  

Handy Don
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

being paid by the mile.  

Yeah, making this the only metric always seemed like a way to ignore the real world and put the onus on the driver. Some combo of time and distance and maybe even route complexity always seemed like it’d be better. Tricky to come up with a way that’s tough to game, though. But then, I’m comfortable with algorithms.

• Like 1

sjoemie himself
On 2/17/2024 at 6:58 PM, Handy Don said:

While doing some work for Case, I got to visit the Doncaster facility as they were building the model that followed that one.

Very cool! All of it.. the job, the tour..

In the Netherlands the plots were/are small aswell although small farms are slowly disappearing. It's more efficiënt to farm bigger pieces of land so the big farms keep getting bigger.

Anyway, because the plots were small the tractors on the second hand market are also mostly smaller compared to the more modern machines.

On 2/17/2024 at 7:09 PM, peter lena said:

thorough going over for  function and related  wear

Coming up, but not shortly. Many things to do. I'm sure you would have a fieldtrip with this one. Lots of 'room for improvement' so to say.

Thanks for the kind words mr. Greasy! I'll do my best to get the tractor to good working order ASAP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sjoemie himself
On 2/22/2024 at 9:18 PM, sjoemie himself said:

not shortly

Famous (last) words..

Notice anything wrong with this picture?

20240222_210747.jpg.f324d04a676b665818433f9d40c5704b.jpg

So we had a bit of a storm pass by us and it blew my roof of the tractor. So that is a repair I was not planning on doing.

Turns out there was only on bolt left which was holding the fibreglass panel to the frame of the canopy. Kind of a miracle it survived the two hour trip on the back of an open trailer without blowing off.

Started grinding on the worst corner, little by little more and more weak spots surfaced. 

20240224_114651.jpg.1970d4a0dc8f8807082162ca82ff57a6.jpg

20240224_114709.jpg.f7052d72b8f33b2ad46e92dd5adc3970.jpg

20240224_114647.jpg.f7f308a7e27dc26485a7d14e956f28c9.jpg

After this very messy and itchy job came the next adventure, actually repairing the damaged fibreglass.

After watching some 'how to's' I temporarily patched the holes with aluminium tape and went to town with fibreglass and resin.

20240224_133509.jpg.05e914d19a69d60bec4960e1755d2b38.jpg

20240224_133515.jpg.c68aca3c4fe3dd974e15ab4c2c63313c.jpg

Getting there.. I'm letting this cure for now and then it's probably another round of resin on monday.

20240224_213537.jpg.46534df6ab71dc77f6d0c79a0c064200.jpg

20240224_213549.jpg.28528a338574f87171a26c4452a73e53.jpg

20240224_213537.jpg

Edited by sjoemie himself
Added pictures
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

ebinmaine

I've never done any fiberglass repair.  

Looks good and strong 💪 

• Thanks 1

oliver2-44

@sjoemie himself  you might consider another layer of cloth overlapping the edges of the first layer of cloth about an inch. If you can find a finer weave/thinner cloth that will help to not build it up so high. Take a rasp or very coarse Sand paper and scratch it up before the next layer. 

I have a local boat fiberglass shop that I get glass material from ever now and then. On boat through hull hole repairs they use a mat type glass the first layer to fill the hole and the hole edges have been ground to a taper. Next they use a woven cloth to slightly lap the 1st layer. Then they uses a fine cloth almost like bed sheet for the final layer.  Then sand apply body putty to smooth and paint with gelcoat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sjoemie himself
12 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

never done any fiberglass repair

Well that makes two of us.

@oliver2-44 thanks for that! That's pretty much how I did it too. Ground out all the crunchy bits until I got to more solid parts. Filled the large holes with a thicker woven mat, coated that with resin and depending on how deep the hole was I applied more of the woven cloth and finished with the thin stuff.

I still have to find out what 'gel-coat' translates to in Dutch and have to get some stuff that masks the repairs. It's currently see through while the rest is not.

I'm guessing the factory used some pigment in their resin because the roof is white through and through.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, sjoemie himself said:

still have to find out what 'gel-coat' translates to in Dutch and have to get some stuff that masks the repairs. It's currently see through while the rest is not.

I'm guessing the factory used some pigment in their resin because the roof is white through and through.

I believe that's correct. 

There's nothing wrong with painting as long as you paint the whole piece to get a proper color match. 

• Thanks 1

Sailman

Your fiberglass work looks well done! Have tons of experience repairing fiberglass boats. If you have access to a marine store like West Marine or Defender you can get either a small gelcoat kit or just the coloring to add to the fiberglass resin. If it were me the second would be my choice. You won't get an exact match but your roof will be solid and no worries going forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don
20 hours ago, sjoemie himself said:

After watching some 'how to's' I temporarily patched the holes with aluminium tape and went to town with fibreglass and resin.

You will not regret the care you took to remove clear the damaged and weakened material well back from the point of the break itself. Nor will you regret “going to town” to make all four corners extra strong. Nice job!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sjoemie himself
7 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

paint the whole piece

We think alike.

@Sailman thanks! Regarding the pigment, I think I'm past that point since I've already patched both top and bottom of the canopy. Or is it a good solution to add another pigmented layer on top of what I've already got?

Anything against gel coating such a roof in your opinion, or do's and don'ts I need to take into consideration?

2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

four corners extra strong

I had considered to put some thin sheetmetal pieces in there but decided against it because I'm unsure how the different materials would react to temperature and vibrations.

We'll see how it holds up. Worst case I have to repair it once more.

sjoemie himself

Took a while but the roof is fixed!

Lots of sanding, resin and fibreglass later the corners are fixed and looking allright again.

20240301_115237.jpg.5ea089e877ad8f4a8a540f52efc7703f.jpg

After applying a off-white topcoat this is how it turned out.

20240310_110419.jpg.b4eb83f4d8ac38b9f57f3e56a073669f.jpg

Certainly not perfect but for something to keep the rain and sun off my face it'll do just fine.

20240310_110429.jpg.ebe895d8a1ab5b9303b84b9a4c2b0290.jpg

20240310_110522.jpg.ca1426626f1f66da4db6e224967d17a0.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine

Looks great!!

• Thanks 1

Handy Don
On 2/25/2024 at 2:47 PM, sjoemie himself said:

I'm unsure how the different materials would react to temperature and vibrations

My daughter, an engineer, specializes in the interactions between carbon fiber and other materials. Having components of aircraft and high pressure gas storage vessels stay together in use is considered a good thing!

6 hours ago, sjoemie himself said:

Certainly not perfect but for something to keep the rain and sun off my face it'll do just fine.

Perfection can drive you mad. Once achieved, you are on tenderhooks waiting for something to damage your work.

I think you did great--“above” and beyond :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

:clap:

Looks great!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sjoemie himself
22 hours ago, Handy Don said:

stay together is considered a good thing!

Yes! I know certain parts of cars and aircrafts are held together with strong adhesives. Beats welding and or riveting in certain applications, or so I've been told.

You're also quite right on the perfection part, sometimes I drive myself crazy chasing perfection. The older I get the less fussy I (can) get :P

Sometimes it's worth it to me to want to achieve perfection, or get close to it anyway.. and sometimes it doesn't really matter and you can save yourself a whole lot of time, money and sanity to make something 'just fine'.

On that topic, made a small trailer handling 'jig'? Don't really know the right name for it. This will serve to quickly and safely attach car trailers and my gf's little manure trailer. Comes in handy for when the farmers land where we haul the manure to gets too wet for my car to drive on.

IMG-20240316-WA0005.jpeg.73ccd7987e51d072d063fa0266ff518f.jpeg

• Excellent 7

sjoemie himself

Looks kinda flimsy in the previous picture but it worked great. Tested it out today and it performed well.

20240317_103548.jpg.cfd8e4c0dcc10121fbaa7efdc917b3a0.jpg

• Excellent 3

Handy Don
20 minutes ago, sjoemie himself said:

Looks kinda flimsy in the previous picture but it worked great. Tested it out today and it performed well.

You can always weld on a sheet metal “rib” (~4 mm x 4 cm?) on the tractor side as reinforcement to the cross bar if you’ll be pulling something that will “resist”. ;)

• Like 3

sjoemie himself
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

weld on a sheet metal “rib”

Absolutely. I'm still debating if it needs it or not.

Probably best to make a decision before I paint it 

• Like 1

sjoemie himself

Ditched the little trailer all together.. hauling manure is wayyy faster this way.. oh.. and more fun B)20240324_130530.jpg.b4ed28d5e83f11676f7ac1a29c115a83.jpg

20240317_113647.jpg.131a238c0159dc9e87ce3325f4cd85b5.jpg

• Like 4