JoeM

At what point do you change?

ri702bill

Yup. I used to fly off the handle at anything anyone would do or say that irked me. Being a parent and a Landlord tends to do that.

Now, as i approach 70, I tend to listen just a tad longer, then let 'em have it!!

I don't want to be remembered as "That cranky old guy with too many rules"  - some folks that I dealt with early on WILL see me that way forever - tough.

There is still time to become "That old guy with not so many rules"........

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 7

WHX??

Um ahhh .... wrong thread Kev...:lol:

• Like 1

JoeM
4 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Um ahhh .... wrong thread Kev

Kind of covers both.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

ri702bill

And yet, there ARE times that someone else needs to get told off with a lecture. Others need to appreciate YOUR years of common sense experience when it is offered.

The lectures are not as frequent anymore. It's all about "tactfullness". Being truly tactfull means you have the ability to tell someone to go to He11 in such a way that they actually look forward to the trip !!  :laughing-rofl:

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Sailman

Toby Keith...RIP old soul.

So much wisdom in this thread.....

My grand dad was a farmer and blacksmith and had baby food jars with the lids tacked to the beams in his blacksmith shop. He would be able to see what was in each one and unscrew the jar as needed. They were filled with odds and ends of screws, used nails, etc.

Still carry on some of his habits today....just no reused nails.

• Like 7
  • Heart 2

wallfish
1 hour ago, ri702bill said:

Others need to appreciate YOUR years of common sense experience when it is offered.

And that's probably why the "Elders" of the tribes were chosen as their leaders over the millenniums.

Although there does come a point when too old is just that, too old, the mind looses it's elasticity and ability of normal reasoning. It wears out just like the other organs do over time.

• Like 8

ebinmaine

Excellent thread. I got nothing specific to add because my experiences have been a mix of all of the above. Fighting my body and it's issues over the last few years has taught me a few different things whether I wanted to learn them or not.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don

I was in grade school when my Dad and a carpenter he hired built our new home. As a helper, one job I had was to collect bent nails and straighten them for reuse. 8, 10, and 16 lb common. Musta done many hundreds over the year or so of construction. Kept me out of trouble and was productive.

During high school, we moved to a house that needed a garage and now my help was as a framer, rough-in electrician, and roofer. For this job, the bent nails went into the metal recycling bin!

When Dad downsized his shop, he had a couple hundred jars with various hardware. My brothers and a couple of grandchildren and I divvied up most of them. I already had twenty or thirty jars from my Dad’s dad plus many of my own. Took me a month or so of spare moments to filter the good from the useless and consolidate. 

As noted above, “the jars” have helped me resurrect many a broken object and saved me $$ and trips to the store.

• Like 6

ML3

As I've crested 50yrs old a few years ago I'm slowly becoming the grumpy old man. Lol. I just wanna be left alone to play out in my garage. Fortunately my girlfriend who's 39 has some sort of social anxiety or something I guess. She doesn't like big crowds of people. Small social events with people she's comfortable with is fine. She does her thing in her she shed & I'll be out in garage. We enjoy spend time together.  I can drag her to any car show, tractor show, etc. Sometimes she asks if theres a show! We barely watch tv- especially the news, makes me angry.  Both us stay off social media. Except me on this forum. 

My kids are 17 & 20. My daughter graduates this year. She intends to follow a career in real estate as my mom did very successfully for 45yrs. She's smart, takes no crap (cause I raised her that way) & has social skills.

My son tried college & hated it. I was ok with that. He spent a year doing carpet/flooring work. After the year he determined that was not how he wanted to make a living. Sometimes gotta let kids figure things out. I told him if he wasn't interested in going back to school or a trade to seek out a civic job- state, county, city, govt, etc. Unknown to me he actually listened. In January he started a job w/county as a waste water treatment operator. Great pay, benefits, retirement (30&out!) His supervisor told him that he wishes he was my son's age when he got hired. Remind him daily how lucky he is to landed that job. 

Proud of both my kids. I pretty much raised them while my ex drank & partied etc. I admit I was tough on them & I still am. My son already thanks me & says he doesn't know how I managed it for all those years. 

• Like 8

ri702bill
30 minutes ago, ML3 said:

I admit I was tough on them

And that is a good thing - you instill your family values on your children as they grow up, then step back to let them develope into the young adults they become. Each kid turns out differently.

My point is you show them what is important, let them run their own game, and be there for them if their choices prove to be the wrong ones. Some kids get it, some take longer, and some don't get it at all.

• Like 4

Daddy Don
8 hours ago, JoeM said:

Over in the "Pete found his shop floor thread", Ed talks about his school days oiling the floors and staying warm with the coal burner. Made me think a bit of things when I was a kid and my aging.

When I got into my 50's, the way I thought started to change. 

When I got into my 60's, the way I thought started to resemble the old man. Or and older man. 

"The Look"

A couple weeks ago one of the grand-kids was here and kind of giving the wife a hard time in the kitchen. I was in the office adjoining the dinning room and leaned over in the doorway and gave the kid "the look".

Oh my, I remember that look from when i was a kid. It was my fathers silent WTF. The old man would twist his neck and look up but his eyes never left you, like a gangster. (You did not want a second one) :o

"My Collection"

The old man had a deal where he was the vast collector of used nails. Had coffee cans filled with rusty, but straightened, salvaged nails. Not just a few maybe a dozen. My son was 4 at the time and I was at my Dad's garage working on my truck. Well the boy was being a PIA so I got a hammer, 6x6 and a can of nails and left him go to town. That wood looked like a porcupine. I remember the old man coming into view, it looked like a skit from Fred Sanford, I thought we were going to use a defibrillator on him. His cherished nails drove into that block of wood.

I don't have a collection of used nails, but I got nuts and bolts. Cans by size, lined up like soldiers on the back of the bench. 

Have you noticed any changes in yourself?

Wait until you hit 75 years I will be 76 in June. You want have to worry about that anymore. You just set down and close your eyes and when you wake up you didn`t even know that you went to sleep and when you wake up you wonder where you have been. 

• Haha 6

kpinnc
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I got nothing specific to add because my experiences have been a mix of all of the above. Fighting my body and it's issues over the last few years has taught me a few different things whether I wanted to learn them or not.

I wanted to post something short and to the point, but Eb beat me to it. Have to say this perfectly says what I wanted to post. :thumbs:

I was immortal for 40 years. Then my body taught me different. I was convinced even then that I would bounce back 100 percent. Then I settled for 70 percent. Now I want to cling to 60 percent.... :D

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, kpinnc said:

I wanted to post something short and to the point, but Eb beat me to it. Have to say this perfectly says what I wanted to post. :thumbs:

I was immortal for 40 years. Then my body taught me different. I was convinced even then that I would bounce back 100 percent. Then I settled for 70 percent. Now I want to cling to 60 percent.... :D

60??!!??

Hell I'd settle for 6 some days.  

• Haha 3