953 nut

TRACTOR TRIVIA and other interesting stuff 1/28/2024

953 nut

image.png.1f4e8e159e03e4a2bd36d929a805e76e.png

The Baird Machine Corp. of Stratford, Connecticut brought out the Beaver tractor in 1948. The company had been in business for over a century prior to entering the Garden Tractor marketplace somewhat by accident. They were known for high-speed metal forming equipment that would automate manufacturing.

In the late 1940s, Company President, Leon Warner purchased an Acme Garden Tractor and made a few modifications to make it more user friendly. He removed the lever steering system and replaced it with a tiller steering system.  Acme tractors had no reverse gear. Warner fashioned a friction driven reverse for the tractor consisting of a rubber surfaced wheel on the jackshaft that would rub against the engine drive pulley if the engine was moved backward, reversing the jackshaft somewhat like the 1955 to 1957 Pond/Wheel Horse has . A hand operated lever mover the engine forward and back to change drive directions and act as a clutch which was later modified to foot operation.

The foot shift machine also saw a move up in engine size to the Wisconsin 6.2 HP, it nearly doubled the horsepower. Baird also increased the Beavers axle size at this time and went with standard 5 lug wheels. Sales numbers peaked in 1952 with 763 units. All told some 4000 of these machines were built. 1955 saw the introduction of what Is known as the “Red Handled” machines. The black ball on the tiller and lift handle had been replaced by a red bicycle handlebar grip. This new improved machine had a larger 8 HP Wisconsin engine and was offered in both tiller and steering wheel models as well as electric or pull start. For the first time it had a dashboard that had the throttle, on/off switch, and choke controls. This model was further modernized with a small red plastic hood and a gray front grill.

While still producing single speed models Baird added a 3-speed transmission in 1959 and a wider stance front end as options.  All told 443 of these 3-speed, red handled machines were produced.

Spring of 1961 saw the intro of the 750 Beaver. Available only in wheel steering but offered both electric and pull starts. Unfortunately, this steering is based on a flexible cable within a tube; to describe it as unresponsive would be extremely generous. The 750 was really the exact same machine as the 3 speed red handles except that it had a single piece fiberglass hood and was only offered with the wide front end. While early tractors were dark machinery gray, changing to a lighter machinery gray in the 1950’s, Baird used a brown color on the 750’s through 1961 when the division was sold.

I was unable to find any firm information about the Baird Beaver’s transition from the ACME tractor, manufactured by Smathers Manufacturing, to Baird.

511463781_bairdbeaver.jpg.a626d43a7e293283109be4f0c6adf52e.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 2

953 nut

Thanks to Eric @ebinmaine for sharing the video with me. I think @Achto has a Beaver "Black Ball" like the one in the video, perhaps he could tell us more.

• Thanks 1

JoeM

That angle iron frame is eerily familiar 

Looks overall like some tore pages out of each others play books.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
21 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Thanks to Eric @ebinmaine for sharing the video with me. I think @Achto has a Beaver "Black Ball" like the one in the video, perhaps he could tell us more.

Glad to help. 

I do love me a lever steer or tiller steer. 

• Like 1

Achto
12 hours ago, 953 nut said:

I think @Achto has a Beaver "Black Ball" like the one in the video, perhaps he could tell us more.

Unfortunately no Beaver tractor here. :(  Just :wh:'s and a McLean, Ooo and a Swisher. Would not mind having a Beaver tractor though. 

• Like 1