wallfish

Wat iz it 4

wallfish

This is a strange saw that must have a distinct purpose. I just don't know what that purpose is.

It's an early 60s model called JB Power Chipper. Runs just like a circular saw but the blade has chainsaw like teeth. Think it's missing some kind of guide that's goes on the bottom.

Dado joints?

There's more images online and it's the same saw

IMG_0488.jpg.a32716abbff4ade08e06c2f22987ca50.jpgIMG_0489.jpg.06501abf5886c3e60fbf100be2c34ed8.jpg

• Like 4

Lee1977

Looks like it runs on a guide, groove cutter may be used in log home construction to install a seal between logs.

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

squonk

Toenail trimmer! 

• Haha 7

ebinmaine

I can't offer a real answer but I'll be interested to see what comes up

formariz

Lets see.The power chipper name has a lot to do with its function. Looking at handles and base, saw was designed to be used vertically. Large base only on one side of cutters with two flared ends means that it would be used from side to side while vertical. Absence of any reference marks as to where and what cutters is cutting means that it was not designed for any precise work as name also indicates. Tooth geometry is similar to a ripping chain and not a cross cutting one making it useless for dadoes and therefor only good for grooves.Large chip outlet indicates rough cutting throwing out large chunks. Depth of cut is set and not adjustable. I am curious as to the depth. The two holes in base indicate something missing, either a guide or some type of depth gage.Leaning to a depth gage  since a guide would be then limited to one size. As a depth gage it could be driven further into saw's base. Should be something like a U shaped bar.

Sometimes in some types of timber framing using metal plates rather than joints to keep parts together, one plows grooves much like a biscuit cutter does and use splines to align pieces while plates are bolted to them. Its a possibility but I think this tool has more to do with thick tree bark .

Edited by formariz
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Handy Don

Is there a flexible fuel pickup inside the gas tank (a la the ones on RC aircraft) to be sure of steady fuel flow? If not, then I’m thinking it is only runnable in the orientation of the first picture.

The big holes in the main frame appear to be for the bolts holding the side handle. The size and positions of those handles tell me that the operator has to exert pretty heavy force to keep the blade engaged in the work.

With the inverted “U” guide it’s not intended as a freehand tool. Given also that it is gas powered it’s usable on sites where electric tools may not be available. And I agree on the ripping-style teeth, modest depth of cut, and no depth gauge, that it is not a cut-off tool. So i concur that it's likely for cutting not-especially-precise grooves in wood beam construction. Alignment plates? Splines for mating logs in wall construction? Wiring troughs?

• Like 1

wallfish

There are 2 holes with thumb screws to adjust and lock some type of "wire" guide for depth of cut. I've never seen on so I can't make one.

The bottom plate is definitely not meant to slide on anything as the counter sunk screw heads that mount the plate still protrude out a little and could catch.

It was fired up years ago when I first got it and cross cut about a 3/4" groove into some 2X4s. 2 passes next to each other perfectly fit a lumber 2X4 tight but that may just be a lucky fit. That's why I was guessing dado joint cutter. It certainly isn't meant for finish work but seems more like log or framing or something like that.

The weird thing is this is not a home made tool, it was manufactured so there had to be some kind of wide use intended in order to sell them.

formariz
5 minutes ago, wallfish said:

The bottom plate is definitely not meant to slide on anything as the counter sunk screw heads that mount the plate still protrude out a little and could catch.

So then missing part is the depth gage. Base would only touch on the very end and then on depth gage. One would sort of rock it side to side. I am sure this is some type of specialty debarking tool on a standing tree. 

Edited by formariz

wallfish
9 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Is there a flexible fuel pickup inside the gas tank (a la the ones on RC aircraft) to be sure of steady fuel flow? If not, then I’m thinking it is only runnable in the orientation of the first picture.

No. the fuel is fed from the bottom of the tank so it can only be used with the blade down

The big holes in the main frame appear to be for the bolts holding the side handle. The size and positions of those handles tell me that the operator has to exert pretty heavy force to keep the blade engaged in the work.

Those holes are for a side handle, pic below

With the inverted “U” guide it’s not intended as a freehand tool. Given also that it is gas powered it’s usable on sites where electric tools may not be available. And I agree on the ripping-style teeth, modest depth of cut, and no depth gauge, that it is not a cut-off tool. So i concur that it's likely for cutting not-especially-precise grooves in wood beam construction. Alignment plates? Splines for mating logs in wall construction? Wiring troughs?

IMG_0491.jpg.c817c0fedf06b56c391df9ae0889a0b0.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg.b0f2b3357aec4fb4b98edfde9c4d5e9f.jpg

wallfish
6 minutes ago, formariz said:

So then missing part is the depth gage. Base would only touch on the very end and then on depth gage. One would sort of rock it side to side. I am sure this is some type of specialty debarking tool on a standing tree. 

Don brings up a good point about the fuel pick up. Normally a 2 stroke would have that flexible pick up inside the tank to run in any position. Most of these O&R tanks are set up like that but this one has a special/different tank with petcock on the bottom.

IMG_0493.jpg.91d10c7a2aad930b60a64aa1fd11f8e2.jpg

• Like 1

formariz

Ca that tank can be rotated within clamps ?

wallfish

OK Found a pic of one with the wire guide.

It's more like a blade protector but it is adjustable.

It doesn't appear like the blade can be sunk into the work. Like it's only meant to use on the edge of the wood but ????

image.jpg.4118a2f86a22f5e52cdaa28a8a68c213.jpg.bfddb2783f00b5bdcd1d873b746d0b57.jpg

Edited by wallfish
  • Thanks 1

wallfish
2 minutes ago, formariz said:

Ca that tank can be rotated within clamps ?

It can. The strap only has one screw so fairly easy to rotate it.

formariz

Very possibly a depth gage. Too close to blade to be a guide.  I believe I may be correct. Time will tell. 

Edited by formariz

wallfish
26 minutes ago, formariz said:

You're good Caz! And think you got it as this is what was found before when we were trying to figure it out

I've found a reference to a J. B. Bennett Power Chipper, it's described as a mechanical gum harvester, developed by farmer Julian Bennett, the date of 1962 fits with the age of the engine. Link below from the web archive, as the original is offline ATM;

http://web.archive.org/web/20210419002330/https://sclfind.libs.uga.edu/atfa/timeline/index.html

And a patent for a power tree chipper, a portable unit powered with "one-half horse-power two cycle" engine, for chipping bark from trees to allow harvesting of sap or gum.

Date the patent was applied for was also 1962, but the machine shown in the diagrams differs, also has a built in sprayer using the exhaust conduit and a fuel cut-off valve in the handle.

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?CC=US&NR=3121974A&KC=A&FT=D&ND=4&date=19640225&DB=&locale=en_EP#

https://myoldmachine.com/topic/6819-can-someone-tell-me-what-i-have/?tab=comments#comment-62813

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 1

formariz

Just finished reading the patent on your link. That is it definitely. The only major difference yours has is the lack of the spray  feature. Yours is also probably of a later date due to the improved chain cutter which will make smaller chips than the cutters on patent. 

The spraying of the freshly debarked wood with an acidic liquid is interesting and new to me. Possibly just for gum trees ? I am somewhat familiar with turpentine or and pine pitch collecting and never heard of that technique with it. Great stuff. That is a rather important tool to own a know from another dying trade or skill. What other little gems do you have in your collection?

Handy Don
27 minutes ago, wallfish said:

And a patent for a power tree chipper, a portable unit powered with "one-half horse-power two cycle" engine, for chipping bark from trees to allow harvesting of sap or gum.

Well, well, nicely done @formariz!

So cut grooves in bark for sap to run out. Still puzzled by the fuel feed.

formariz
1 minute ago, Handy Don said:

Well, well, nicely done @formariz!

So cut grooves in bark for sap to run out. Still puzzled by the fuel feed.

Thank you Don. 
  Not to cut grooves but just to remove bark and expose cambium layer. Once that is done tree will start “bleeding”. Once bleeding stops one usually keeps going upwards on trunk exposing a fresh area with new full”veins”. A “funnel” was made by inserting two strips of tin creating a V that would drain into container below. There was a special large ax with a curved blade which would follow the tree curvature that one would strike on bak creating a kerf in which to insert tin. Pretty much like when installing flashing. 

wallfish
38 minutes ago, formariz said:

What other little gems do you have in your collection?

Some of the odd stuff.

Lapidary saw for cutting stone and rock out in the field. Geologist or prospector type stuff?

A fan used by the LA fire dept

A high grass trimmer with a metal blade that is swung back and forth. (Toe chopper offer is more like it)

Fogger fans. Like hand held insecticide sprayers.

Mini Bike

Air compressor Winch

Then more common applications

Outboards, Weird chainsaws, Drills, Ice augers, RC engines which are converted to glow plug, Chicken Power for putting an engine on front wheel of bicycles, water pumps, etc etc and don't think we ever found the bottom yet as new applications appear every once in a while. Something I don't have is a hydraulic branch trimmer which is rare among many others.

To be honest, I don't know the exact count of tools and engines in the collection but guessing 50-60 with about 10 or so being just engines, some rare with gear boxes or just very early built engines.

Edited by wallfish
  • Excellent 2

wallfish
5 minutes ago, formariz said:

Still puzzled by the fuel feed.

Think Caz hit that by asking if the tank can be turned. Assume this would be used for cutting horizontally on a standing tree.

The tank is still strange because the tanks that come with O&R engines do have the flexible pick up. BUT they are no where near as rugged as this one is. They're like thin soup cans.

wallfish

Here's some videos of some in action. The snow thrower actually works well. The mini bike I built from scratch using EMT because I ain't paying $1500 - $2000 for one! That was before it was completely finished. Had a little thing going on riding stuff with a guy that has a O&R powered skate board.

https://myoldmachine.com/topic/6776-or-videos/

Here's another collection of 2 stroke tools. Homelite based on the XL-12 chainsaw engine. The Harvester which is a super rare item. As far as I know it's the only running and operating one. And the military blower seems to be unheard of but there it is.

https://myoldmachine.com/topic/429-homelite-xl-tool-collection/?tab=comments#comment-3388

Edited by wallfish

953 nut

About fifty years ago there was a fellow who worked for a gun powder manufacturer who debarked pine trees in areas that were being cleared for subdivisions. The saw didn't look exactly like John's but did resemble it somewhat. As I remember it the saw was riding on a jig attached to the tree and the saw would slide up and down then be rotated a few degrees and repeat the up and down movement several times. After half of the tree was debarked the jig was repositioned to the other side of the tree.

A few months after the debarking a logging crew would cut the trees and then the gunpowder people came in to gather up the stumps.Debarking caused the resin in the stumps to become concentrated. He said they would make charcoal from the stumps and ad sulphur and potassium nitrate to make gunpowder

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

formariz

Great little tools. It’s hilarious on the minibike. I got to show that one to kids , they are going to love it. 

wallfish
2 minutes ago, formariz said:

Great little tools. It’s hilarious on the minibike. I got to show that one to kids , they are going to love it. 

Here's the build thread on it. There's a maiden voyage video in there that's even funnier.

https://myoldmachine.com/topic/6451-micro-power-mini-bike-build/?tab=comments#comment-59954

formariz
31 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

As I remember it the saw was riding on a jig attached to the tree and the saw would slide up and down then be rotated a few degrees and repeat the up and down movement several times. After half of the tree was debarked the jig was repositioned to the other side of the tree.

That was a portable log rossing machine Richard.