953 nut

TRACTOR TRIVIA and other interesting stuff 1/23/2024

ri702bill
33 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

The word ACME is seldom heard today

Unless you are watching the Roadrunner & Coyote cartoons on Saturday mornings! Ol' Wile got all his toys from ACME ( which I swear was later bought out by McMaster-Carr!!!) They had everything!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Sailman

Great information on the "Acme" name. I had also heard many years ago that companies used the Acme name (Acme Plumbing, etc.) so they would be placed at the beginning of the yellow pages (A) and have a better chance of getting business than companies with the following letters.  Yellow pages.....shows how old I am....

• Like 5

ri702bill
45 minutes ago, Sailman said:

Great information on the "Acme" name. I had also heard many years ago that companies used the Acme name (Acme Plumbing, etc.) so they would be placed at the beginning of the yellow pages (A) and have a better chance of getting business than companies with the following letters.  Yellow pages.....shows how old I am....

We had a couple of infamous cases of vying for the top slot here in RI....

One was a local politician running for Mayor in one of the cities. His name was Ralph aRusso, his opponent was Angelo aRusso, who would get the top listing on the fall ballot. Ralphie boy gets his last name legally changed to aaRusso, and gets the top listing....

Newport (aka Zooport) is a hot summer vacation spot,and a local Dentist there got a bit too creative in going to the top of the Phone book listing. I do not recall his last name, but it was way down the alphabetical listing. So, one fake Diploma on the wall and a second phone line later, he had a ficticious "Business Associate" named DR. Aaron A. Aaron, DDS... Seems whenever someone called that number, the receptionist would reply "Answering for Dr Aaron..." who was NEVER available and then calls got forwarded to the real Dentist. Scam worked for about 5 years - seems there was a REAL Dentist named Aaron A, Aaron, and the patient questioned why her Dentist had a diploma from XXX School, where he had a different one back home where she came from!! OOPS

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

ri702bill

And now back to our original program.........

• Haha 1

953 nut
11 hours ago, ri702bill said:

Unless you are watching the Roadrunner & Coyote cartoons on Saturday mornings! Ol' Wile got all his toys from ACME

image.jpeg.bc8ac95dcd0a15439f56a6b7537ecefb.jpeg

• Like 3

davem1111

@953 nut -I'm really enjoying the tractor trivia threads. Keep 'em coming, please! :greetings-clappingyellow: :bow-blue:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1