lynnmor

Winter Cab Photos

lynnmor

These photos will show you what to expect with a cab and LED headlights.  As you can see the LEDs don't get hot enough to melt the snow and the only usable window in the cab is the wiped area of the glass windshield. 

IMG_1047.JPG.fdbb4422cb8f300f7a4db0ce7ae84dc9.JPGIMG_1048.JPG.fef882d0d4ed793cc5cba002796bf6c5.JPGIMG_1049.JPG.53405562f5051b8872bf7feda6664e59.JPGIMG_1050.JPG.c488cdbad68a0dc1337d27b91703e059.JPG

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

ri702bill

Kind of like driving a Tesla this winter - drive or use the heater - pick one!!

• Haha 8

Ed Kennell

Wow, imagine what you would look like if you didn't have a cab.    Some heat in the cab might keep the windows clear.

I didn't even venture out today...still waiting for it to stop snowing.    I'll fire up the blower tomorrow morning.

• Like 2

ri702bill

A good bean dinner the night before - THAT ought to warm up things !! ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

lynnmor

@Ed Kennell when you get out there you might find some really slick spots.  The ice under the snow had me spinning like crazy and stopped often.  To look at it you wouldn't think it to be a problem but this is absolutely the worst I ever encountered.  The rubber "chains" always had me satisfied with their performance but the current mess would be much better with steel if you don't mind pavement damage.  Be careful, I had places that had me sliding quite a distance to the road.

Since I couldn't go in preferred directions due to the ice problem, the cab took more of a blast from snow than usual.

Tomorrow I will try my luck doing touch-up plowing without chains, my prediction is that it will go just as well but we shall see.

• Like 2

wallfish
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Wow, imagine what you would look like if you didn't have a cab. 

Ah, the good old days with a single stage and no cab. When the wind was blowing I'd get covered from head to toe with a thick crust just like the front of the hood on lynnor's tractor. 10 years ago it didn't bother me.

Now, the older I get the more winter sucks. The hec with the driveway marks, steel cleat chains and #40 roller chains on the fronts. As long as you don't spin the tires (which is totally unnecessary because the chains bite) you won't tear up a driveway. I'm more than glad to sacrifice doing some little marks on the driveway for much less time out there freezing my nads off. Those chain marks are gone in the spring anyway on an asphalt driveway.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

D_Mac
16 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Ah, the good old days with a single stage and no cab. 

My " good old days " was a shovel and a pair of gloves....ahhhhhh to be young again.

• Haha 4

Pullstart

@Blasterdad nice to hear from you Bryon!  

13 hours ago, ri702bill said:

A good bean dinner the night before - THAT ought to warm up things !! ....

and well placed candle…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

JoeM

WOW just looks damn cold! Makes me shiver. 

Ed has a furnace duct cab contraption. Pretty neat. 

I got the neighbor into WH's.... now i watch. :D At least until the new wears off. 

• Haha 1

Jody14

Ok I'm new to this forum, so I'm not sure if I am doing this right, and I'm hoping for some major needed help. 

I recently purchased an original cab snowcab for my 417A.  The cab was taken off a 522xi.  The brackets I know are totally different.  I was wondering if anyone would have,  or know anyone that would have the brackets I need to mount it on my 417A ?

I believe the cab is model number 79978. 

Thanks in advance. 

• Like 3

WHX??

:WRS: Jody.

Your best bet is going to make or rehab the the existing brackets. Down load the manuals for the correct cab and the Xi cab and compare parts. A call to Orginal Cab might get you nowhere but sure won't hurt. 

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-yeahthat: and :text-welcomeconfetti:

Maybe some of the cab guys can post up a few detail photos... I'm old and old school so I don't have one - I freeze... :banana-skier:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Blasterdad
46 minutes ago, Jody14 said:

Ok I'm new to this forum, so I'm not sure if I am doing this right, and I'm hoping for some major needed help. 

I recently purchased an original cab snowcab for my 417A.  The cab was taken off a 522xi.  The brackets I know are totally different.  I was wondering if anyone would have,  or know anyone that would have the brackets I need to mount it on my 417A ?

Thanks in advance. 

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

I made my cab out of 3 different ones...

The brackets can be modified if you're handy, you can also place an ad in the for sale / wanted / trade section too.

@WHX?? had good Ideas too, I did lots of looking through the manuals comparing parts...

Edited by Blasterdad
  • Like 3

JCM

These pics may help. If I find more I will post them for you @Jody14  :text-welcomewave:

IMG_0923.JPG

IMG_0924.JPG

IMG_0914.JPG

IMG_0913.JPG

IMG_0912.JPG

IMG_0915.JPG

IMG_0917.JPG

IMG_0918.JPG

IMG_0919.JPG

IMG_0920.JPG

Jims Camera uploaded 2019 Nov 083.JPG

DSCN0030.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
4 hours ago, Jody14 said:

Thanks in advance. 

You are doing it right Jody.  And  :text-welcomeconfetti:to the :rs: If you need more pictures, I could get some tomorrow of the cab on my 520H.  The mounting should be the same on a 417A.

• Like 1

kpinnc
On 1/19/2024 at 5:12 PM, lynnmor said:

These photos will show you what to expect with a cab and LED headlights. 

Ah- no. Nope.... Nope .... Nadda. :occasion-snowman:  All those previous comments I've made about being envious of you guys and your snow? I don't want any. 

On 1/19/2024 at 6:39 PM, ri702bill said:

A good bean dinner the night before - THAT ought to warm up things !! .

Safer to run the exhaust pipe into the cab. Otherwise the tears and runny nose might freeze up solid! Does Methane damage vinyl? 

• Haha 3

grinchsr

Depends on who is producing it. 

• Haha 2

WHX??
9 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

The mounting should be the same on a 417A.

One would be surprised how adaptable they are. Many of the brackets can be fashioned from 1/2" conduit. 

I picked up a cab cheap that was for a later 70's C series. PO had it modded on a later 60's square hood. After minor reworking I fit it on a 520 easy enough. 

Never messed with an XI cab tho. 

• Like 3

peter lena

@lynnmor  https://www.google.com/search?q=rainx+windshield&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS866US866&oq=rainx&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqBwgCEAAYgAQyDAgAEEUYORixAxiABDIJCAEQABgKGIAEMgcIAhAAGIAEMgcIAxAAGIAEMgkIBBAAGAoYgAQyCQgFEAAYChiABDIJCAYQABgKGIAEMgcIBxAAGIAEMgkICBAAGAoYgAQyBwgJEAAYgATSAQkxNjE0NWowajSoAgCwAgA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8  been using rainx  on my glass for years , only a suggestion , but its a terrific  water shedding  finish , think it would really help on your  tractor  cab vinyl windows , think with the added slick finish and cab movement it would constantly shed snow .  shop around for price , like the spray on bottle , Pete

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
17 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

I'm old and old school so I don't have one - I freeze..

I'm just OLD and a slow learner.   It took me 60 years to realize I felt much better sitting in a warm dry cab while blowing snow.

All it took was a vented belt guard and a housing to collect the heat from the rear cylinder and my cab temp is always 30 degrees above the outside temp.

The heat comes in at my right foot and I keep the flap open at the left rear where it exits.  The windows stay clear and I stay warm.

Before cab

Best of...

In my heated cabIMG_5359.JPG.a7ab2dece87e90cd411424558dd592be.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

SylvanLakeWH
28 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

blowing snow.

That there's the difference... I plow only. And blowing Michigan "snow" is usually the same as slinging concrete... futile... :twocents-twocents:

Todays 5" crud is 50/50 snow/rain/sleet/crud (my math isn't strong)... B)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Jody14

JCM. Thanks for the pictures. They are very helpful.  Do you happen to know what model number cab you have off hand? I spoke with original cab and I was sent 2 different diagrams and neither have the same number on them as my cab does.  I'm puzzled. 

• Like 1

JCM

@Jody14  Mine is high and dry hanging up in the garage. If I can get up there I will get the #'s off of it for you.I will take a look.

• Like 2

Jody14

Thank you.  By the sounds of things I may have to give up on my glass windshield and windshield wiper on the cab I bought and find one with the plastic windshield. 

• Like 1