Cee245

Picked up a 1993 314H

PWL216

Nice tractor! I also have a 314-H and a 314-8. There’s not much that a 314 can’t do. I have a 520H with a bucket loader that can be a bear to start. The 314’s, never an issue.

46C7C1D5-5522-41DB-9E63-61EB18FD1C7B.jpeg

0FE34AAD-EC51-42C4-9C45-4C58255E718C.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 6

Cee245

Thanks @PWL216.  Yours Look really nice!!  And I agree. My 314-8 handles 48" deck without issue and uses less gas than my Onan 416H. I've read it'll handle a 2 stage snowblower as well...  I prefer the Hydro for mowing around my many obstacles in the yard. 

How do you compare the steering between the 314 and the 520? 

I have a nice gear reduction from a 520 that I'm putting on the 314. 

There is NO drilling required for this.  Guessing because its a 93 and gear reduction was available (same frames) 

Fits nice except I see the steering shaft is about 2" too tall.  

Any reason I couldn't cut it 2" shorter amd drill another hole for the steering wheel roll pin? Wondering if I'd need a special drill bit? Or if my carbide or titanium nitride bits would work?

20231230_011040.jpg

17039236534735685172838598078161.jpg

Edited by Cee245
Add pic
  • Like 3

Cee245

@PWL216, 

I really like your 314H's front hood decal! Where did you get it? 

Uh oh... look what I found in pic... Hmm.... almost forgot about these decals!..

Well, wasn't planning on doing a resto, but since I'm this far and spring is a few months away, might as well get some reasonable painting done. I'm no pro, but I can use rattle cans and not make (big) runs in the paint. 😆 

Could use advice here. I'm wondering what it'd look like wet sanding and then clear coat 🤔.  

I dont want to go crazy on paint since it's a worker and since I'll use rattle cans. 

20231230_032118.jpg

Edited by Cee245
  • Like 1

ebinmaine

Great purchase!

@Achto may be a good source for paint info. 

I'd be glad to help with the carb if possible. PM sent.  

Your drill bits should handle the steering shaft just fine but consider carefully before cutting. 

You may like the extra height.  

Depends on your own operation style.  

That drivetrain would certainly handle a Two Stage Snowblower.  

• Like 2

PWL216

Hi @Cee245 the decals on both 314’s are original. As far as steering comparison, The 520 with the gear reduction steers like it has power steering. Much nicer than than the 314s. My goal is to put gear reduction steering on all of my tractors. I had my bucket loader on a C1 21 without the gear reduction steering and it was pretty difficult to handle at times. That’s why I swapped it the bucket loader from the 121 to the 520. The only reason I have a 520 is for the gear reduction steering for the bucket loader, otherwise I would have no need for the 520.

• Like 3

PWL216

@Cee245 my bad, the hood on the 314H is not original. I actually drove from MA to NY to buy that hood from @Brockport Bill because the original hood was rough. It’s also the Baja badged machine, so I need to pick up that decal.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@Cee245  nice pick up on that ! love the opportunity to detail in everything , improve it , enhance function , there is a number of steering improvements , on this forum , dealing with just this . like a polyurea rated grease , that will stay with the area , too many suggestions , for me to list , good luck with it , Pete

• Like 3

PWL216

The simplest, most impactful thing I’ve done to my tractors is adding a $10 marine grade fuel primer bulb. Highly recommended.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, PWL216 said:

fuel primer bulb. Highly recommended.

Seconded 

• Like 1

Cee245

@PWL216, i thought it was different,  missing the "toro".  

@ebinmaine, thanks for that! ... do you guys have to use the marine bulb when you haven't used it in a while? Cold start? 

I haven't had an issue with my 314-8, yet.    Although I haven't had it all that long. 

Cory

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Cee245 said:

do you guys have to use the marine bulb when you haven't used it in a while? Cold start? 

Depends on the tractor. 

Our Wally Digger Backhoe isn't used often so every cold start the bulb helps. 

• Like 1

kpinnc
7 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Seconded

Thirded...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

kpinnc
4 hours ago, Cee245 said:

do you guys have to use the marine bulb when you haven't used it in a while? Cold start? 

I haven't had an issue with my 314-8, yet.    Although I haven't had it all that long. 

Any tractor with the fuel tank under the seat should have one. Your battery and starter will thank you.

• Like 3

Cee245

With the endorsement from you all,  i will likely give it a try.  I usually install a check valve before the fuel pump which seems to be the trick on my Onan. 

Definitely worth trying

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH
35 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

Thirded...

Fourtheded... :handgestures-thumbupright:

IMG_0639.jpeg

• Haha 3

Lee1977
13 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

Any tractor with the fuel tank under the seat should have one. Your battery and starter will thank you.

Or electric pump. A check valve will help a weak pump, but it's just a Band-Aid on a pump going out.

• Like 3