Daron1965

B 80 as plow tractor

Daron1965

Does anyone plow snow with a B 80? I plan one setting mine up strictly for snow plowing.  All my others already have a specific set up, garden plowing for 1, rottotilling for the other, another to pull a cart with grandkids in it.   LOL    Also need to add headlights to it.  

D_Mac

I plow with my 875. Pushes enough snow for me. Before that I used an 857.

20230225_125448.jpg

20210202_113932.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Like 2

Daron1965

I had the same idea for the light.  Our local police require a yellow light at night when crossing roadways.  Does B 80 take a long frame plow?  I think it can use one but not sure.

• Like 1

edgro

I have plowed with my B80 in the past, it worked just fine

• Like 1

ebinmaine
20 minutes ago, Daron1965 said:

I had the same idea for the light.  Our local police require a yellow light at night when crossing roadways.  Does B 80 take a long frame plow?  I think it can use one but not sure.

B80 is a mid frame tractor for 1974 and 75. 

Long Frame 1976 and 77. 

ALL use a Long Frame plow. 

You'll love a B80 as a plow rig. 

I've used mine as such. (since sold it) 

Trina has several 8 HP tractors. 

Plenty of power there. 

What you'll need is weight. 

WEIGHT is TRACTION.  

I absolutely recommend fluid filled tires. 

For lights you have many options. 

I'd recommend LED. 

There are tons of styles that can added by drilling, clips, or magnets. 2" diameter to 4" or whatever.  

You go back a few years in the YouTube channels for both me n Trina. We each have many videos of us plowing. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

D_Mac

One of these days I will attempt fluid filling my tires. Not really sure how to do it. I really need the weight up front as sometimes steering is an issue. The 857 I had chains on the rears, the 875 I don't. I really don't notice much of a difference.  That being said my snowblower gets most the work on the heavy stuff.

• Like 1

ri702bill
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

What you'll need is weight. 

WEIGHT is TRACTION.  

I absolutely recommend fluid filled tires. 

I fluid filled BOTH the front and rears on the 854, added wheel weights front and rear, and use 150 lbs of lead ingots under the seat. Use 2 link chains for maximum number of cross links.

I have a choice of either a 42" or 48" moldboard - the smaller one is actually better in heavy snow.....

P1010325.JPG

• Excellent 3

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, D_Mac said:

One of these days I will attempt fluid filling my tires. Not really sure how to do it.

@squonk and @Pullstart both have good videos showing the procedure.  

Our first attempt here was made last year. Surprisingly easy. A little messy. Excellent results. 

6 hours ago, D_Mac said:

I really need the weight up front as sometimes steering is an issue.

You may want/need to add a weight like we did on Trina's 867. Easy bolt on using angle iron and a flat hunk of steel around 45 lbs. 

Also consider front chains. 

6 hours ago, D_Mac said:

The 857 I had chains on the rears, the 875 I don't. I really don't notice much of a difference.  That being said my snowblower gets most the work on the heavy stuff.

Interesting to me that folks can move at all without chains. I've tried it here and had NO movement possibilities. But .... Nearly Every surface here is tilted.  

18 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

I fluid filled BOTH the front and rears on the 854, added wheel weights front and rear, and use 150 lbs of lead ingots under the seat. Use 2 link chains for maximum number of cross links.

I'll add a solid second vote for front tire filling.  My bigger plow tractor with a 60" wide blade NEEDS all the gription I can get.  

I use well oversized 20 x 8 x 8 front turf tires with 5 gallons of Rimguard in each one. 

This year I'm considering trying full wrap chains for front steering. Likely a rough ride... Not sure if I'll keep em on.  

Like the extra stuff under the seat. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Retired Wrencher
9 hours ago, Daron1965 said:

Daron most that I have seen have a two position holes on rear of the frame for short and long frame.

Edited by Retired Wrencher
  • Like 2

Pullstart

@D_Mac

lots of ways to do this..  

And lots of fluid choices.  I found sugar adds weight without taking up much volume.

• Like 3

ri702bill

Extra weight under the seat - "Junk in the trunk"!! 

Ingots are a shape I have never seen before. Cylindrical with a flat - like a soup can standing, cut down the middle. They do stack and nestle rather well. 

That was ALL the added weight my FIL ever used plowing the driveway with his 702.

• Like 1