Brad Schroder

Mower deck for 1967 1057

Brad Schroder

Newbie to wheel horse tractors and recently purchased a 1967 1057 with only a plow. I'd like to figure out what I would need to cut grass. Smaller deck the better. Looking through posts and such I've found the rl-367 to be the correct fit, but not sure what options could work with the 1057 also. Please help, or steer me to the direction of the local mower deck expert!

daveoman1966

Go to (save it) this website.  Enter model as 1057.  Clik on 'accessories'  .  Next page will tell you all the stuff that fits it.  

Toro Master PartsViewer

ri702bill

Brad - Welcome. Near the top of the heading "Implements and Attachments" there is an interchange document cross referencing the deck fitment

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the :rs:Brad.

Brad Schroder

Went to Toro master parts viewer, entered 1057, don't see an accessories choice. Hit enter and got "matches found zero"

Edited by Brad Schroder

Brad Schroder

Downloaded the interchange document and see the original deck model numbers for the 1057. Rl-367  and Rl-426. Is that the only two units that will work?

gwest_ca

Toro missed the 1057 but have the 1257

The D&A file here is tractor Details and the Attachment list.

• Like 1

Brad Schroder

So it appears I need to track down a deck model# 5-1361, which is the 36" deck.

Handy Don
11 hours ago, Brad Schroder said:

So it appears I need to track down a deck model# 5-1361, which is the 36" deck.

You didn’t post a picture (and we love pictures, here!) so I don’t know what sort of PTO parts are already on your tractor, if any. This is important

Short frame tractors through ’64 all had the mower deck PTO belt drop straight down from the engine to a shaft mounted on the deck carriage (the PTO clutch parts came with the mower deck, not with the tractor!). Two-blade decks like 5-2321, 5-2361, RMs 362 through 367, and the 5-1361 all worked this way--ALL are rear-discharge. These decks all use gears on top of the deck housing to convert the belt rotation to blade rotation. Many members use and like these decks (I use a 5-1361). BTW, the gearing prevents the blades striking each other as their sweeps overlap.

Then WH started with a system where the PTO clutch came with the tractor and its belt went forward around the front axle (via pulleys called a “mule”) and back to the deck. The belt twist with this system means no gears are needed convert belt rotation to blade rotation. The first of these was the three-blade RM-425 Side Discharge which, with the right PTO parts, will work on a short frame tractor like yours. Again, many members here use and like these decks. The three blades are offset so they cannot strike each other.

Both styles co-existed for a few years in the late ‘60s until WH switched to the “long frame” chassis which all use the “mule” PTO routing for decks.

Edited by Handy Don

oliver2-44

@daveoman1966 can you do the Mule Drive Upgrade on a 1057 like he has and use the new style mule drive and use some of the modern decks, or is there not enough room between the front/rear wheels? 

Brad Schroder

My research leads me to believe the 1057 is a long base. Here are some pictures.

20231212_100340.jpg

20231212_100315.jpg

20231212_100302.jpg

Handy Don
1 minute ago, Brad Schroder said:

1057 is a long base

Aha. Thanks!

That will simplify your deck decisions. As noted above, adding either the adaptor plate or a modern Attach-a-matic to the front will give you a full range of options.

Good luck.

Ed Kennell
30 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Aha. Thanks!

That will simplify your deck decisions. As noted above, adding either the adaptor plate or a modern Attach-a-matic to the front will give you a full range of options.

Good luck.

Yes, add the front attach-a-matic and you can use many of the newer 3 blade decks.   That style PTO engagement is the best Wheel Horse made.  No safety switches and trouble free.

You will need to remove that exhaust pipe to clear the forward routed belt.   Looks like the right rear axle seal needs replaced. An easy fix if the hub comes off easy.

Brad Schroder

I've been a bit intimidated with all the pictures of mower decks I've seen online. Thinking that I needed a specific model. But with what you guys say, I have many options, as long as I have a front attach a matic? Is it also called a mule, or is that just for the drive pulleys?

Edited by Brad Schroder

Ed Kennell
15 minutes ago, Brad Schroder said:

Is it also called a mule

The attach-a-matic is the device that the mule drive(pulleys) is attached to.

Brad Schroder

Are there many versions of the attach a matic and the mule drive, or are they universal fit?

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, Brad Schroder said:

Are there many versions of the attach a matic and the mule drive, or are they universal fit?

The front mounted mule drives are universal  with two exceptions. 

The 60" deck requires a special spring loaded belt tensioner mule drive.

The earlier version of a front mule drive did not use the attach-a-matic mount. It was bolted directly to the frame.

The front attach-a-matic  accepts all front mule drives although they may be bolted to the tractor differently and have different hood attachment arrangements.

The mid attach-a-matic is used to mount the mowing decks, grader blades, two stage snow blowers.

There are several different design mid attach-a-matics that were changed over the years to match the changes made as the newer design decks and deck drive systems were implemented.

Handy Don

Reinforcing @Ed Kennell’s comments above...

The 60” deck is a bruiser intended for tractors with a “swept” front axle (2” longer wheelbase and wider front track) to provide tire clearance and with bigger engines.

The two-blade 37” deck was aimed to fit under 300-series tractors with smaller 6” front wheels at less cost than the 3-blade decks.

Neither is well-suited to a 1057!

Assuming you are at least modestly tech-literate, you’ve realized that most of the Forum posts can be found via Google or Bing as well as using the site’s own search bar. If you include “wheelhorseforum” in your search text, it’ll narrow in. There are many threads discussing members’ pros, cons, maintenance, repair, and experiences around mower decks--enough for hours of reading!

Over their years of production, Wheel Horse made minor tweaks in the front attach-a-matics, but kept them inter-operable. I recently upgraded my pre-attach-a-matic ’64 tractor using one from the early 80’s. The link in Post #10 of this thread shows how a some other members have put them on tractors that didn’t originally have them.

Your tractor has one of the earlier mid-hitches--before they were called “attach-a-matic”, I believe. These are generally inter-operable, but, again, it is possible to upgrade to one of the newer versions (there were improvements to the latching and locking methods).

While it may take some patience, depending on your locale, decks are often found via Craigslist (CL) and Facebook Marketplace (FBM) as well as at tractor shows and meets. If you find one and have doubts or questions, post here for a quick assist! You can also post a wanted in the Forum’s classifieds.

We’d also like to see posts (with pictures!) of your progress as you proceed along. Of course, we also hope you’ll consider becoming a supporter of the site. See your name in RED, get unlimited photo uploads and the appreciation of the other members!

• Like 1

Brad Schroder

I'm currently looking into this one

Screenshot_20231212_123705_Facebook.jpg

Handy Don
1 minute ago, Brad Schroder said:

I'm currently looking into this one

Screenshot_20231212_123705_Facebook.jpg

Wow, that is a nice looking deck.

To use it, though, you’d have to remove your existing PTO clutch and convert your mid hitch to have the “side saddle” PTO clutch assembly.

Since your PTO is already the newer (and, frankly, stronger) style, my suggestion would be to look for a 3-blade, non-gear deck with a mule. You will need either the bolt-on mule (not very common) or both a front attach-a-matic and a “standard” mule.

As fond as I am of these geared decks, they are a bit noisier and require higher maintenance than the 3-blade decks.

• Like 1

Brad Schroder

What's the smallest three blade deck available, my concern is the size. My yard isn't very big and has some tight spots

Handy Don

36” is the smallest and it is a rear discharge (RD) so there is no chute sticking out the side. It’ll be almost perfectly flush with the outside track of you rear wheels.

Larger decks are 42 in both RD and SD and 48” only in SD.

Brad Schroder

Any chance you could attach a picture of what I should be looking for. Thought the one I sent was the model that I needed, my mistake! Also, you're being a great help! Thanks

Edited by Brad Schroder

Handy Don
7 minutes ago, Brad Schroder said:

Any chance you could attach a picture of what I should be looking for. Thought the one I sent was the model that I needed, my mistake!

I used the site’s search bar with this as the search key (include the quotation marks, set to look in “files"): "mower rotary 36in rd"

It returned this list of the files we have on the many versions.

You want the ones from, say, 1970 onward. 

Edited by Handy Don

Brad Schroder

This is more like it, correct?

Screenshot_20231212_152812_Facebook.jpg