WHX??

Re-Gasket or seal?

WHX??

Kinda already know where I am leaning on this but would like some advise.

502 two-piece leaks. Sat for who knows how long so gasket dried up. 

Get a gasket from Lowell or seal it?

I have a kit of KBS sealer that did not fail me on a Tecky tank and I have a tank off the Amigo that I need to use it on. The kit will seal at least two or four small tanks and still end up wasting some. 

502 tank is clean as a whistle as AL tanks should be so sealer should take well.

Someone's been it it it before.

Afraid to mess with them screws to replace gasket.

20231204_181126.jpg

20231204_181114.jpg

• Like 4

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Afraid to mess with them screws

That's the part that would answer the question for me.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don

Boils down, in my mind, to “Can you get the screws out?"

You and Dan have the gadgets for carefully drilling out a broken screw and re-threading. It looks to me like there are six “new” screws in there already and that bodes well for getting all fifteen!

I had two that broke off and then I realized that the tank was bent--the tractor must’ve fallen over or been hit. Went with a one-piece I got from A-to-Z and made a custom dash for it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Achto
22 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

20231204_181126.jpg

I have a tank gasket in stock, yours if you wish.

If I remember right, My 753 had  hex head screws on the bottom of the tank. Will go out & check my 633 in a few minutes. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
4 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

“Can you get the screws out?"

Therin lies the problem Don ... maybe shouldn't even try to open that can of worms. Gotta remember this is all soft AL with steel screws. 

@Pullstart knows.  

Yah if a one piece should happen to just fall from the sky... no brainer. 

• Like 2

WHX??
13 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

mix the drinks... er, manage... :occasion-xmas:

Guess you just know us too well...:lol:

4 minutes ago, Achto said:

check my 633 in a few minutes. 

Yer full of $hit you just wanna go out and burn one... :rolleyes:

• Haha 6

Handy Don
3 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Therin lies the problem Don ... maybe shouldn't even try to open that can of worms.

I sense a lean toward “seal it"

Absolutely cannot disagree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Wher I was going Don since I got the kit. Just not sure how it works on AL tanks. Maybe I  go read the destructions again. :)

Was that tank you got from Wild Bill a two or a single piece? 

Edited by WHX??
Speeling
  • Like 2

Handy Don

Tank was from Lincoln at A-to-Z. A one-piece so it needed a dash. He took the bent one to try to straighten it!

It was a wallet lightening day ‘cause I also got the six-speed LSD, had his mechanic open it up to inspect and put in new seals, and also got some other parts for the 854 restore. 

Good value and good service and I was able to give some hauling help to some other members, as well, so it was worth the time and travel,

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Achto
10 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Was that tank you got from Wild Bill a two or a single piece? 

It was a 2 piece, hence the new gasket.

I just went out & looked at my 633, all of the screws have a 1/4" hex head on them. I think that some one changed all of the screws on your tank.

Am I wrong? I thought that that '61 & '62 had the one piece tank and '63 & '64 had the two piece. If this is true, has your tank been replaced at one time??

• Like 1

WHX??
7 minutes ago, Achto said:

, has your tank been replaced at one time??

No idea Dan and only God and a PO knows fer sure. I gotta think original:confusion-shrug:

Shoulda been a one piece same as a 702 right? 

Maybe @Lane Ranger can shed some light on this. 

Edited by WHX??

WHX??

OK other thoughts are this was a later 502 where they already had changed over the two piece???? 

• Like 3

Handy Don

Ah the mystery!

Yes, ’61 & 62 were 1-piece, and ’63 & 64” were two-piece. Square hood in ’65 with “pillow” tanks.

And yes, my screws were all ¼” hex on the 854 tank.

2¢ here is that isn’t an original tank and none of the screws are original!

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Racinbob

I'm definitely with the seal it crowd. Even with replacing the gasket it's going to seep out again. I've used Red Kote several times with 100% success but I'm sure the KBS that you have will do the trick too. I do take it apart to get everything spotlessly clean and replace the gasket but I don't rely on the gasket to seal it. I put a sacrificial nylon fitting in the hole just in case, I only use enough sealer to let it flow around the gasket area. Maybe 1/4 cup. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ri702bill
8 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Ah the mystery!

Yes, ’61 & 62 were 1-piece, and ’63 & 64” were two-piece. Square hood in ’65 with “pillow” tanks.

And yes, my screws were all ¼” hex on the 854 tank.

2¢ here is that isn’t an original tank and none of the screws are original!

Hmmm... my 502 came with a 2 piece tank, the 702's and the 701's had a 1 piece tank....

Either way, that tank is worth fixing - even the 2 hood screw speednuts seem intact  and not broken out.

The big advantage to disassembling the tank is it allows you to do a thorough cleaning on the inside surfaces.

One more "fix" option not yet discussed. Disassemble it, remove all traces of the gasket, and TIG weld it back together.....

• Like 3

Retired Wrencher

I have used this product call seal all it has worked well for me over the years. As long the surface is clean it works. I use an syringe with a screw on tip on the end. Enjoy the ride!

IMG_0091.jpeg

Edited by Retired Wrencher
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

I didn’t realize there was a question in this thread… I figure you’re just letting us know you have a two piece tank about to be KBS sealed by Dan :orcs-cheers:

• Haha 4

peter lena

@WHX??  thought about , getting the bowl  out of the shaft area , like a  fixed 90 degree , to get away from  density  of issues ? just my initial look at it , Pete

• Haha 1

Rob J.

I have the same issue. I think I’m going to replace the gasket then red kote it. All my screws came out so I’m all good there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rob J.
3 hours ago, ri702bill said:

Hmmm... my 502 came with a 2 piece tank, the 702's and the 701's had a 1 piece tank....

Either way, that tank is worth fixing - even the 2 hood screw speednuts seem intact  and not broken out.

The big advantage to disassembling the tank is it allows you to do a thorough cleaning on the inside surfaces.

One more "fix" option not yet discussed. Disassemble it, remove all traces of the gasket, and TIG weld it back together.....

If you’re really really good at welding. A pin hole is all you need to leak. 

• Like 4

Kenneth R Cluley

Here is a pic of my 653 two piece tank. It' a 63. I used red kote and sealed, with good results. The tank in your pictures has definitely been open. I would be hesitant to try to get those screws out. Slotted ones are common galv/zinc, but phillips look like could be stainless, that would be a bear to drill out if broken off. "Sorry EB"  On one hand it has been open recently, on the other how well was it "repaired" at that time? 332211141_IMG_10031.JPG.2af0da17e5ca3b3ef26fc45ed52d3943.JPG

• Like 3

WHX??
4 hours ago, ri702bill said:

disassembling the tank is it allows you to do a thorough cleaning on the inside surfaces.

The pre treatment chemicals in the kit do a good job of that. I've used the KBS kit before and the stuff does work. 

The speed nut areas looks pretty good except for one crack starting so I may weld that up a little. 

If it still had the orginal hex screws I would remove them but not for this one. Who knows what them threads look like. 

Bowl stays Greasy Pete I'm an original freak. Most likely a new one that leaks too tho. :huh:

Steering shaft stays too...:(

I should take this opportunity to make it right & just might if whatever cockamamy pin is in there comes out and I don't chance on messing up the wheel. 

20231204_181135.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@Kenneth R Cluley  what ever you want to do is good with me , good luck , pete

Handy Don
10 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

20231204_181135.jpg

The pre treatment chemicals in the kit do a good job of that. I've used the KBS kit before and the stuff does work. Chemistry can be fun!

Bowl stays Greasy Pete I'm an original freak. Most likely a new one that leaks too tho. :huh: I like the bowls, too. Got mine to stop leaking with self-made, slightly more pliable cork/rubber gasket and new rubber compression ring on the valve stem.

Steering shaft stays too...:( That weld hack is sad. Just sad.

I should take this opportunity to make it right & just might if whatever cockamamy pin is in there comes out and I don't chance on messing up the wheel.  👍

• Like 1