BairleaFarm

Massive shop and she shed clean

BairleaFarm

I have two building.    1 is a 16x20 the other is a 10x14.     I used the smaller building after I got hurt to keep tools and stuff.     Years later I work out of both and store crap in both with no room for anything.  

1000002926.jpg

Edited by BairleaFarm
Spelling
  • Like 2

BairleaFarm

Here's the 16x20.  It's where I do most of my gt work.   

1000002928.jpg

1000002927.jpg

• Like 4

BairleaFarm

Here's the smaller building that houses along of tools.     This will become more of just storage.     Not sure where I'm moving my reloading stuff to.  

1000002930.jpg

1000002929.jpg

• Like 5

ebinmaine

Gotta love a good spell of reorganizing.  

• Like 2

BairleaFarm
47 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Gotta love a good spell of reorganizing.  

It only took 7 years to get like this.     This is the first year I've really been able to get out there and do stuff.      I'm excited.     A wood stove and a heated man cave is much needed.   👌 

Edited by BairleaFarm
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

BairleaFarm

Bench and shelves are going up.   Still have to do a center support but all is going as planned. 

20231124_150622.jpg

• Like 3

BairleaFarm

My brother in law stopped by to see if i needed help.   Yes sir I do.  Ceiling is in and heat could be heating by this weekend.

20231126_150921.jpg

• Excellent 3

BairleaFarm

Comments are fading - stay with me guys this is a team effort lol.

On a side note - i took a quick vid of some of my tools.  I see tool box tours of multi thousand dollar setups and just want the new guys coming into the trade know what a regular TSC box will get you by.   These tools have made me thousands of dollars over the 20 years I've turned wrenches.    I have 2 or 3 complete sets between shops and my service truck.   I will be combining, going through, and cleaning many a tool during the cleaning / organizing time. 

• Like 1

BairleaFarm

2 of the 4 new leds lights are up.  They appear to suck 🤔    lights a good quality but it cast wierd shadows.     I normally have had 4 lights in here but may need to do 6.   I have big fluorescents but was trying to be cost conscious.    😕 

20231130_062622.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine

When I chose the lights to put up in our new barn I had two different people recommend the same ones and they were using them in slightly different purpose.

I like the color. White.

I like the brightness.

One big thing with these though is, there is more than one row of LEDs. 

If memory serves correctly they have a 270° sweep or some such?

Handy Don
8 hours ago, BairleaFarm said:

2 of the 4 new leds lights are up. 

In a similar-sized space in my shop I have four dual-tube 48” LEDs. Each uses 30w. I’ve arranged them to eliminate shadows at the stationary equipment and workbench along the sides but the light is more than adequate in the central work area.

These replaced four dual-tube 48” fluorescents each using 80w.

At a constant 200w less consumption and with LED life many times longer so I don’t expect to replace them in my lifetime, that’s enough save for me.

Like @ebinmaine, I have grown to like the clear white light output as well.

• Like 1

BairleaFarm
14 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I like the color. White.

I like the brightness.

Same here.

14 hours ago, Handy Don said:

These replaced four dual-tube 48” fluorescents each using 80w..

I have these in the she shed and love them.   The ones I got for the shop are not tube type and I think thats the problem.   I am going to move some around this weekend and see what happens.  

• Like 2

BairleaFarm

Taking the clear protective film off the lights helped dramatically.      Still have some stuff on the floor and work benches to clean off but most of my tools are here and the floor plan is where I want it.   

20231203_130945.jpg

20231203_130955.jpg

• Like 2

oliver2-44

I love the oil drum wood heater. My dads shop had one. When the drum burns out, just get another barrel and move the door and outlet flange assembly over to it.  Have to be careful about how much wood and vent air you use or you get the barrel glowing red. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, BairleaFarm said:

floor plan

Looks good.  

How's the upper clearance from the stove pipe to a combustible wall?

Handy Don
5 hours ago, BairleaFarm said:

Taking the clear protective film off the lights helped dramatically.

Aha! :D

Moparfanforever

Heat in a person's shop is always a good thing !!

:text-woo:

BairleaFarm
14 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Have to be careful about how much wood and vent air you use or you get the barrel glowing red. 

I didnt even put a vent in this one.   These tend to run hotter for me than not.

12 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Aha! :D

Yeah I almost didnt want to say anything. 

10 hours ago, Moparfanforever said:

Heat in a person's shop is always a good thing !!

After snapping both my knees backwards and cutting off my thumb the cold weather has made me weak.  I just cant do the cold anymore.

12 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

How's the upper clearance from the stove pipe to a combustible wall?

Not clear enough on the inside wall.  I need to trim it a little more.    The outside wall if good.   I did the initial burns this weeks as it was kinda warm outside.   I will trim the wall opening before I really start using it.  

• Like 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, BairleaFarm said:

Not clear enough on the inside wall.  I need to trim it a little more.    The outside wall if good.   I did the initial burns this weeks as it was kinda warm outside.   I will trim the wall opening before I really start using it. 

Here is some good reading on safely installing and using a woodstove. These are terrific appliances but they do not give you much margin for error when used improperly.

• Like 1

BairleaFarm
10 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

but they do not give you much margin for error when used improperly.

People laugh at my preparedness with fire extinguishers and such.   Things can go bad quickly with these and other projects (i do a lot with waste oil burners as well).   Ill wrap the stove pipe in a ceramic blanket soon as ill be adding a waste oil drip to this setup as well.    Not sure on the magic behind the ceramic blankets but they cool it down enough you can touch it and its barely warm when there's 1000* just an inch away. 

• Like 1

Handy Don
2 minutes ago, BairleaFarm said:

People laugh at my preparedness with fire extinguishers and such.

You won’t find me laughing and I’m hoping you never need one.

The right insulation and fireproof materials do amazing things, don’t they?

• Like 1

ML3
On 12/4/2023 at 9:22 AM, Handy Don said:

You won’t find me laughing and I’m hoping you never need one.

The right insulation and fireproof materials do amazing things, don’t they?

My garage is 24'x24' & I have 6 fire extinguishers. I also keep one in her she shed, in shed where I store mowers, fuel, etc. One is attached to my gas grill. My generator is in shed with mowers. It has fresh air inlet vents & shutter fan exhaust to remove heat/fumes. It runs on natural gas or propane. The exhaust kit I purchased is for my type of installation- it's double walled & shielded. I have 2 of the halon balls over generator. 

And.... obviously I have fire extinguishers in house. 

• Excellent 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, ML3 said:

My garage is 24'x24' & I have 6 fire extinguishers. I also keep one in her she shed, in shed where I store mowers, fuel, etc. One is attached to my gas grill. My generator is in shed with mowers. It has fresh air inlet vents & shutter fan exhaust to remove heat/fumes. It runs on natural gas or propane. The exhaust kit I purchased is for my type of installation- it's double walled & shielded. I have 2 of the halon balls over generator. 

And.... obviously I have fire extinguishers in house. 

Sounds about adequate. :)

Of course avoiding a fire or asphyxiation in the first place is WAY better, right?

• Like 3

Bill D
On 12/1/2023 at 6:59 AM, BairleaFarm said:

Same here.

I have these in the she shed and love them.   The ones I got for the shop are not tube type and I think thats the problem.   I am going to move some around this weekend and see what happens.  

I just replaced my 4' T12 florescent bulbs with Halco LED bulbs from Home Depot.  I got tired of lights that wouldn't come on when the humidity is high.  Direct wire so no buzzing ballast.  One minor issue though, if I leave the lights on in the garage my wife's garage door opener won't work.  Mine works fine.  The opener on her side has the purple learn button, mine has the orange button.  Different frequencies from what I've read. May change her side to an orange button control board, or just turn the garage lights off when we leave.