Donavon

Need help figuring out a problem

Donavon

Originally it popped wheelies whether you slowly let off the Clutch or popped the Clutch, then you had to push start the tractor to get the Trans to work and when it got up to speed it acted like you popped the Clutch doing a wheelie, and now it won't work at all. Photos next post

• Confused 2

ebinmaine

What model of tractor?

What brand belt?

• Like 2

953 nut
8 hours ago, Donavon said:

it popped wheelies

Please define IT.  Dose "IT" have a fabric covered belt?   Does "IT" have a belt guard properly installed?

• Like 1

Pullstart

I’m guessing B80, or 1054 based on his profile.  Either way, the fellas up above are on to something.  Belt quality/material, and belt guard usage are absolute musts to protect the life of the transmissions.

• Like 2

peter lena

@Donavon  might also add this to your check outs , rusty linkage ends , and the idler pulley also , pulley has a chronic  failure , due to undersize bearing / lubrication , regular rough action . also how is the return spring on that ?  your  wheelies are not good for anything but damage . found aerosol penetrating  oil , makes the rust run out , then aerosol RED GREASE , makes every movement spot move like it should . if your unseen tractor has a  gas cylinder for  tension , thats a problem easily changed . with a coil spring pull.  when working like it should , its seamless , and very easy . look over EVERY MOVEMENT POINT . send us some pictures of what you have , pete 

• Like 1

Donavon

Pictures 

20231121_160403.jpg

20231121_160356.jpg

20231121_160249.jpg

20231121_160236.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine

@Donavon

See post #6 above 

Donavon

Where do I get the oil seals (which one do I use)

• Like 1

Donavon

Does this hub need fixed? Need answer asap

20231121_171830.jpg

20231121_171417.jpg

• Like 1

Lagersolut

Yes on the hub - its wet drifted on axle and now rubbing the trans case - all the small stones/dirt that accumulate between hub and trans case with act like a grinder  can ruin the bore . I rebuilt one ground and chipped out  ....took another trans half case for seals to work

• Like 2

Donavon

Original owner drilled the set hole for 5 hours DRY on the 3 bolt hub

• Confused 4

Pullstart
8 hours ago, Donavon said:

Original owner drilled the set hole for 5 hours DRY on the 3 bolt hub

Slow down a bit here.  You need answers ASAP and there are tons of folks waiting to help.  Read the responses and re-read your post (I like to read it out loud to hear how it sounds) to give us the tools needed for the help you need.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

953 nut
16 hours ago, Donavon said:

Need answer asap

Hope my response lives up to your expectations!                   :confusion-shrug:

Your hub needs to be held in place with a SET-SCREW, not a bolt. A set-screw is hardened steel and has a cupped end to grip the axie and the axle key. Here is a picture of a set-screw in case you don't know what one looks like.  image.jpeg.15189694950d57405aa104ea68c4f709.jpeg

The axle seals can be replaced without taking the transmission apart. First you need to check the axle bearings to be sure they are in good condition. Jack up one side of the rear axle and see if the axle will move up/down or front/back. If there is any movement in either direction you need more than just seals.

The seals can be purchased at NAPA or any good industrial supply house. Fore a 1" axle you will need a SKF-9815 seal;  for a 1 1/8" axle the seal would be SKF 11050. While you are there get a couple new keys for the axles, chances are they need to be replaced also.

Prior to installing the new seal be sure to smooth down any roughness on the axle to prevent damaging the new seal.

• Like 4

JimSraj

Just to add on to what 953 nut offered I’d suggest covering the key slot with a wrap of tape before you slide the seal onto the axle. 

• Like 2

Landen Schonhut

Yesterday me and @Donavon ordered some parts for the B-80, the one we are posting about is mine and hopefully we can get her going again. I ordered trans - Axel, break band because it was thin and crusty, clutch spring. Etc, Spent $156.00 on some parts, the hubs will need replaced eventually when I get the money, Anyone know if the Super Tech Gear Lubricant from Walmart would be a decent gear oil to put in I just till I have the money to afford the good stuff? The plan is to fix it he trans Axel because it was messed up by my grandfather. Then clean the transmission out with Kerosene and but new Gear oil in, The bearings will need Replaced eventually at a later date when I have more money set aside and we will take the trans apart again, the transmission should be fine until then just to cruise around Town?, let me know if this sounds alright to do that’s the plan for now, I did buy stuff to put Turn signals on the tractor which I thought it would be neat. We are planning on taking out matching tractors to a show, Anyone know a show coming up that’s not too far from Eastliverpool, Ohio, in 2024, 

pfrederi

I use the Wally world stuff no problems  GL5 but also says compatible with brass.

Landen Schonhut

Alright, I’ll use that and see what happens, anyone else that has suggestions leave them below 👇 

Donavon

And if anyone can find the transmission complete rebuild kit cheaper than $230 (bearings, seals, gaskets, shifter boot)

953 nut

If you were to find all of the parts needed for your transaxle from various vendors on the internet you would probably not come out any better than what Lowell @wheelhorsemanis offering and I doubt that you would save any money. Best part about dealing with Lowell is he knows these transaxle inside and out and can save you from making mistakes.

https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/product-category/manual-transmissions/page/2/

• Excellent 2

Jon Paulsen
On 12/5/2023 at 12:30 AM, Donavon said:

And if anyone can find the transmission complete rebuild kit cheaper than $230 (bearings, seals, gaskets, shifter boot)

Have you got it opened up and checked the bearings? Check threads and videos by da man @stevasaurus Have you got a reason to replace all the bearings?

stevasaurus

Here is the Thread/vidios of a 4 speed transmission just like yours.

• Excellent 1

Landen Schonhut

Alr I got the plan, look at pics from the top of the condition of my tractor before you reply to answer please… So it’s been on hold for a while because the rebuild kit it really expensive. So what we are gonna to is put the shaft in and not touch the trans until we have the money. Do you think it will be fine with just a new shaft?? My grandfather said the new shaft will make it work just fine and not to touch the trans. That’s the plan. Does it sound alright?

oliver2-44

@Landen Schonhut We need a little more detail on what to look for in those pictures. What shaft are you talking about?

If you don’t go through the transmission you really still need to fix that hub. Get new set screws as 953 said.