OoPEZoO

Swept axle question

OoPEZoO

Are the swept axles off a 520 the only ones that will accept a 1" spindle hub?  As in, if you have a 520 WITHOUT the swept axle, are they also 1" or are the standard 520 axles 3/4" like the rest of the herd?

My situation......I got a free set of wheels/tires that fit 4 bolt trailer hubs, so I decided it was a good time to upgrade the front of my 314-8 to 1" spindles and bolt on hubs.  I also scored an almost perfect set of 1" HD spindles, so I have that part covered.  What I didn't account for is them not fitting my current axle.  I have no desire for a swept axle as I don't need it for my applications and I'm going with larger tires in the front and don't want to potentially deal with steering inference with my front implements.  I would rather not buy a bunch of parts just for trial and error if I can help it.  Looking at pictures and parts fiche hasn't given me enough info to feel comfortable in a direction.

I'm assuming my options are

-Buy a 1" 520 swept axle and bolt it on

-Buy a 1" 520 non-swept axle IF it is bolt on (I'm assuming they are 3/4", and this won't work)

-Drill out my current 3/4" to accept 1" spindle hubs (totally doable, but a little concerned about how much material would be left supporting the front end)

-Add 1" axle stubs to my current 3/4" spindle hubs (my least desirable option)

-Other??

• Like 3

Achto
2 hours ago, OoPEZoO said:

I believe that @ebinmaine has done this with some of his tractors.

• Like 3

Handy Don

The 1” spindles were only in the swept axles. The pivot has included a provision for thrust bearings whereas standard axles are just sleeved on top of welded washers! I had help from @ri702bill to trim our 312’s axle to accommodate spindle thrust washers. Big help.

Only standard on later (1990s ?) 520-HC and 520-H, though many members have swapped them onto 300s and 400s!

Edit: Should note that the swept axle has slightly different steering geometry so it needs different tie rods (from the factory they had different end joints with zerks and were adjustable) as well as different spindles. Not sure about the lower steering shaft but there were reduction and non-reduction versions of the swept axle models (different lengths, for sure). The spindle holders were a lot beefier, as well.

@ebinmaine has a thread for converting ¾” spindles on a “C" to take trailer hubs/wheels.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 5

Andy N.
2 hours ago, OoPEZoO said:

Are the swept axles off a 520 the only ones that will accept a 1" spindle hub?  As in, if you have a 520 WITHOUT the swept axle, are they also 1" or are the standard 520 axles 3/4" like the rest of the herd?

My situation......I got a free set of wheels/tires that fit 4 bolt trailer hubs, so I decided it was a good time to upgrade the front of my 314-8 to 1" spindles and bolt on hubs.  I also scored an almost perfect set of 1" HD spindles, so I have that part covered.  What I didn't account for is them not fitting my current axle.  I have no desire for a swept axle as I don't need it for my applications and I'm going with larger tires in the front and don't want to potentially deal with steering inference with my front implements.  I would rather not buy a bunch of parts just for trial and error if I can help it.  Looking at pictures and parts fiche hasn't given me enough info to feel comfortable in a direction.

I'm assuming my options are

-Buy a 1" 520 swept axle and bolt it on

-Buy a 1" 520 non-swept axle IF it is bolt on (I'm assuming they are 3/4", and this won't work)

-Drill out my current 3/4" to accept 1" spindle hubs (totally doable, but a little concerned about how much material would be left supporting the front end)

-Other??

I upgraded my '89 520-H last year with the forward swept axle system. The original axles on the '89 520-H are 3/4" like all the other 300 and 400 series.

• Like 4

OoPEZoO

Thanks guys…..that confirms my suspicions.  I have a new set of adjustable tie rods sitting here waiting to go on as well, so that shouldn’t be an issue. Guess I’m going to go the route of picking up a swept axle and see how things go. 

The reason I don’t want to go the 1” axle stub route is that it will make everything fit, but doesn’t do anything for beefing things up.  I routinely have a pretty healthy amount of weight hanging off the front of my tractor (Johnny bucket or wood chipper).  The weak point would still the elbow bend in the 3/4” spindle. I could make and weld in supports like the factory HD spindles, but I don’t have access to a lathe and don’t think I trust trying to drill them out on my press or freehand. To me, it seems the right plan is to beef up the whole thing to 1” and be done with it…..even if that means I get a little tire/implement contact 

• Like 3

ebinmaine
18 minutes ago, OoPEZoO said:

The reason I don’t want to go the 1” axle stub route is that it will make everything fit, but doesn’t do anything for beefing things up.  

Agreed.  

I routinely have a pretty healthy amount of weight hanging off the front of my tractor (Johnny bucket or wood chipper).  The weak point would still the elbow bend in the 3/4” spindle.

Also agreed. My 74 C160 Cinnamon Horse is the recipient of the HD axle stubs I made, with help. 

But for the record...

That's the right that carries around my own Mackissic chipper shredder and it does perfectly fine... for years now.  

I could make and weld in supports like the factory HD spindles, but I don’t have access to a lathe and don’t think I trust trying to drill them out on my press or freehand. To me, it seems the right plan is to beef up the whole thing to 1” and be done with it…..even if that means I get a little tire/implement contact 

Your logic is right for the simplicity I think... but you could certainly make the ¾ spindle reinforcements, by hand, out of an oversized length piece of angle iron and use your drill press. 

Hypothetically -  If the hole center needs to be 1" down, use a 2" piece of iron so you're drilling a complete round hole,  then cut the length to the center of the hole after it's been drilled.  

You'd end up with a nice double notched brace.  

Might have been @Lee1977 showed me a drawing???

It doesn't matter if the holes aren't in the same thousandth of an inch side to side.  They'll still weld right on.  

• Like 2

OoPEZoO

Making and welding a support brace on my existing spindles is no concern, I could knock that out in an afternoon in the shop with little to no planning.  The part I was referring to was getting the 1" trailer axle stubs and boring them to slide over the 3/4" spindles.  I've seen plenty of guys do it, but it usually involves a better fixture setup than I currently have for my drill press, or ideally a metal lathe.  I guess I could also just cut the 3/4" spindle off at the wheel and make a support bracket that has an axle stub welded to it.  Would have to get the angle perfect or it would screw with the steering......hmm, I'll have to think on it.  

• Like 3

ebinmaine

I have 2 set ups. Both of them are 1" round axle stubs with 3/4 holes bored  then the stock Wheel Horse spindle inserted into that.  

Both done on a lathe. 

• Like 2

Handy Don
3 hours ago, OoPEZoO said:

The part I was referring to was getting the 1" trailer axle stubs and boring them to slide over the 3/4" spindles.  I've seen plenty of guys do it, but it usually involves a better fixture setup than I currently have for my drill press, or ideally a metal lathe. 

I have a good friend that does machining out of his very well-equipped shop--multiple lathes and a milling setup.

If you can PM me a link to the kind of hubs that would need drilling, I’ll ask him what he would charge to bore them & let you know. I contracted him last year to weld a couple of tricky parts of a build I was doing where my lack of experience gave me pause.

Thor27

A 195 axle also has 1" spindles, but doesn't sweep forward, with that said the center is a bit thicker at the pivot (1/4" or so) not the whole casting just a cast boss. I wouldnt hesitate to carefully saw/grind that bit off.   I think there may be one for sale in PA. 

OoPEZoO

Interesting tidbit…..thanks for the info.  I ended up buying a bare swept axle to go with the parts I already have. It should be here Tuesdayish. Then I’ll mock it up and see if the swept forward portion will give me any trouble. If not, it will go on the tractor.  If it does, then I may go searching one of those 195 axles…..I’m assuming you mean off of a C195?  I didn’t even know that tractor existed until I went searching. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, OoPEZoO said:

Then I’ll mock it up and see if the swept forward portion will give me any trouble.

I don't have a tractor with a forward swept axle yet so take this with a grain of salt...

As far as I've read the only issue is a snowplow. There's a frame extension made for those.