WHX??

Richard's new to him A-60

953 nut
On 11/6/2023 at 9:56 AM, rjg854 said:
On 11/6/2023 at 9:23 AM, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

This thread is awesome :laughing-rofl:

:text-yeahthat:    It certainly is!   You 2 guys are the best for hooking Richard up like this.  Now I hope you understand why I didn't want anything for those parts.

The thread is OK Mike and Randy @Mike'sHorseBarn@rjg854 it is the people here on Red Square helping each other that are soooooo  Awesome   :romance-grouphug:  Each of us has offered help to one another and is what makes this group the best.       :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by 953 nut
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 3

WHX??
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Got an email from the seller today saying he forgot to give you the box with all the parts and pieces for the deck lift so he is mailing them to me.

Good deal Richard but hold your horses after tinkering today got some bad news and some worse news... well maybe a little good news too.

Bad news is some hoodlums got into the shed last nite. Knew I shoulda checked on things when the dog was barking. Guess those tires n rims were worth something...

20231107_165950.jpg

Oh my I hate it when Dan is right!

20231107_135504.jpg

But looky here what I found in the mouse nest!

The fuel gauge and retainer! 

20231107_135824.jpg

I have no idea if it can be saved yet but ain't afraid to give it a shot. Seems the movement it stuck but it appears to be able to be taken apart and restored. 

Now for the worst news... I mentioned to Dan how the whole steering column was loose. 

Here's why...

20231107_135846.jpg

20231107_135838.jpg

The back of the column support is rusted away and cracked. This will mean it has to go out to a job shop... meaning Dan's garage... for rework. He better at this stuff than I and he has a magic welder. He's gonna have to come over and help me get it apart tho. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 5

953 nut

:confusion-confused:          Wonder if those wires were for the headlight kit that was available for the A-60?

• Like 1

WHX??

No those were for the fuel guage as they call it. 

They are just tapping off those wires since there it power there all the time. 

Pretty cool light kit tho. Wonder how many are out there. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1

WHX??

More here Richard.

Charger out and on the bench for a cleaning, inspection and cordadectomy...:lol:

20231107_151850.jpg

Drive chain... rusted badly and more than one link won't  turn. At least a dozen master links in it. Wrong chain to boot I suspect. What was on ther is a #41. Pretty sure it should be the more common to horses # 40. Huge difference In size. A 41 is more like a bicycle chain but same pitch as a 40. 

@SylvanLakeWH if you could confirm it should be a 40 that would be appreciated.  IPL doesn't list the correct size but sprockets look to handle a 40 . Will be stamped on the side plates :text-thankyouyellow:

#40 is used on all blowers and I have yards of it. 

41 on top. 

20231107_152350.jpg

Screenshot 2023-11-07 104322.png

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Tracked the tire thief down and got things right. God bless the 2nd amendment... :lol:

One tube had slime in it ... lordy what a mess. One front had the really cheap wheel barrow bearings in it. Not :text-imsorry: Richard they is getting all new bearings. Couldn't sleep at nite otherwise.

I like to pick the inner seal out and greasy pete them and put the seal back in. Lemme  know what you prefer. The five inch rims do have zerks.

The rears have three inch keys that are all busted up. They will get replaced.  

20231107_141436.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH
9 hours ago, WHX?? said:

@SylvanLakeWH if you could confirm it should be a 40 that would be appreciated.  IPL doesn't list the correct size but sprockets look to handle a 40 . Will be stamped on the side plates :text-thankyouyellow:

I'll check it out at lunch...

Im gonna look at that fuel gauge area too. I don't think mine has that...

What year is Richards's?

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 1

WHX??

No yours didn’t have it. Richard's is a '76. 

Musta been a later year thing. 

• Thanks 1

953 nut
13 hours ago, WHX?? said:

But looky here what I found in the mouse nest!

The fuel gauge and retainer! 

20231107_135824.jpg

I have no idea if it can be saved yet but ain't afraid to give it a shot. Seems the movement it stuck but it appears to be able to be taken apart and restored.

Jim, sounds like you have found yourself a challenge. Nothing to lose by giving it a try.

11 hours ago, WHX?? said:

One front had the really cheap wheel barrow bearings in it. Not :text-imsorry: Richard they is getting all new bearings. Couldn't sleep at nite otherwise.

I like to pick the inner seal out and greasy pete them and put the seal back in. Lemme  know what you prefer. The five inch rims do have zerks.   :text-thankyouyellow:

Give me the ID and OD on the bearings and I will send new ones to you. 

11 hours ago, WHX?? said:

One tube had slime in it ... lordy what a mess.                                               :text-imsorry:

12 hours ago, WHX?? said:

cordadectomy

:ROTF:

13 hours ago, WHX?? said:

back of the column support is rusted away and cracked. This will mean it has to go out to a job shop... meaning Dan's garage... for rework.

Mouse nests can do a number on steel,       :bitch:            You guys are the best.                     :text-thankyouyellow:            

• Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

@WHX?? and @953 nut no joy on the chain... not marked on chain or sprockets...

Heres measurements for you...

Also no fuel gauge spot on my '75 unit...

IMG_2637.jpeg

IMG_2638.jpeg

IMG_2639.jpeg

• Thanks 2

WHX??

Thanks Sylvia but I was looking for the number that's stamped on the side plates.

Buy him a tape measure ... send him to school ... and he measures up the teacher.... :eusa-doh:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

SylvanLakeWH
22 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Thanks Sylvia but I was looking for the number that's stamped on the side plates.

Buy him a tape measure ... send him to school ... and he measures up the teacher.... :eusa-doh:

I know...

there is no stamping on the side plates, sprockets or my forehead... :angry-tappingfoot:

Now, I know you and achto are way smarter then me ( that's a pretty low bar by the way) so i figured measuring with a tape instead of my thumb would be helpful... if not, then i have failed, miserably, and beg the curd gods forgiveness... :bow-blue:

• Haha 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

and @953 nut no joy on the chain... not marked on chain or sprockets.

The #40 and #41 links are the same spacing from roller to roller. The spacing between the side plates at the roller is 0.25" for #41 chain and 0.3215 for #40 and the side plates are thicker on the #40 chain. #40 chain can be used on #40 or #41 sprockets but #41 chain may be too narrow for a #40 sprocket. See the photo Jim @WHX?? posted earlier.  #41 on top and #40 below.

Looking at your photo I'm thinking #40 was used.

20231107_152350.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

You want a pic of the chain head on he rear sprocket? I can snap it later today.

Based on what you said, i'm thinking mine is 40...

• Heart 1

SylvanLakeWH

IMG_2641.jpeg

IMG_2642.jpeg

• Like 2

WHX??

Yep that's a #40. Thanks ... looks like yours has the same adjustments for setting the tension. One loosens the three axle supports and the axle pivots to the rear to set the tension. Since yours has never saw power till you owned it keep an eye on it after a few train pulls. They wear or stretch the most when new and seat into the sprockets. 

Richard's got a brand new one today. Sprockets looked to be in good shape. No hooked or bent teeth. 

20231108_182039.jpg

20231108_182716.jpg

Rims blasted, primed & half painted. Ran out of off white... now why did Dan put a empty can of paint back in the paint locker!?!?

20231108_182057.jpg

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

953 nut

Thanks Jim.       :handgestures-thumbupright:       Do the front rims take the 1 3/8" OD bearing like other Wheel Horses?

WHX??

Yes they are. Don't fret about getting me any I have plenty. I buy bulk what with 20 horses to feed. I get good quality ones for less than 3 bucks a piece. Don't buy a pack of gaggers  tomorrow their paid for. 

Lots of times Dan and I buy in bulk and split and save. 

• Excellent 3

Achto
35 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

now why did Dan put a empty can of paint back in the paint locker

If it was empty, I would have thrown it away. :angry-tappingfoot: That can had just a very little bit left in it yet. :D

Edited by Achto
  • Haha 3

WHX??

Now for the dilemma. The steering column support. It is not coming off unless the steering wheel comes off. 

Don't look at me Richard it's your rite of passage. 

This one would be particularly a hair puller since ther is a piece of 3/4 id  pipe that has to slide off the actual steering shaft and is pinned on in two places. IPL shows it all. I got the pins in the pipe to move but the wheel forget it. Never had any luck with the soft touch wheels.  

Couple of other plans. 

A Cut the steering shaft in the enclosure & re- couple. 

B Try and weld the tower in place. Not a good option due to missing rusted metal. 

C Fab a reinforcing bracket to be placed in front or in back of the support where the angle finder is. 

The bolts below it hold the front axle to the pan. 

I'm gonna throw this ball in  @Achtos court. 

No matter what its gotta get done... someone tries to hoist themselves in the seat using the steering wheel the whole thing is coming off. 

20231108_104827.jpg

20231108_104834.jpg

20231108_104841.jpg

The front side...the moisture from the nest rotted this. 

20231107_135838.jpg

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 2

Pullstart

Just wrap that base in copper plates and start buzzing the buzzer rod at it!  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

SylvanLakeWH

Looking at the damage and looking at mine, I'd go with option "c" and sandwich the support front and back with steel "L's" like the angle finder is shown. Go up and out for added support and weld or bolt in place. (Touch of red would be nice if either of you Wisconsin guys know anyone who can paint...) :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

WHX??
6 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Just wrap that base in copper plates and start buzzing the buzzer rod at it!  

Yer talkin Greek to a simpleton here ... me thinks yer buzzed... sides we like to do it right here ... :lol:

8 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

I'd go with option "c"

Here too ... see what Dan says he is the fab master this neck of the woods. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

WHX??

BTW Sylvia... watch out how much moisture goes underneath the non skid  in the pan.  Adhesive was long gone on this one so it was loose and peeled right up. Lots of water underneath and pan starting to thin. Not for too long it would be Freddy Flintstone brakes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

953 nut
23 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

C Fab a reinforcing bracket to be placed in front or in back of the support where the angle finder is. 

So option "C" would be a pair of braces sorta like this.      :twocents-02cents:         should have been that way from the factory.

26 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

I'm gonna throw this ball in  @Achtos court.              :text-yeahthat:

1599586142_a60steeringbrace.jpg.1f75ba91a4edb5db9da6177c1d7b3227.jpg

• Like 1