Treepep

UM. Can of worms...

Treepep

Gentlemen...and ladies,

I am currently looking to get a new or a lightly used 4x4 pickup.  I am curious as to what that should be?  I am not brand specific (well other than horses I suppose) and I never have been.  Dad WAS a F.O.R.D. guy.  My first vehicle was a 63 falcon.  I learned to drive on a 64 F250 manual 2 wheel drive.  I would happily take either again but I digress. 

IF I could go back in time and select a "new" truck it would be my age or older.  I could list the year and brands that I have liked.  NOT helpful.  Any thoughts are appreciated.  I'm not trying to stir the pot, I am just not up to date on what late models are favorable these days.  Fix or repair daily is not on the list unless the previously stated time machine is involved:lol:

My dude logic tells me I could put a fraction of the money into my 2005 4x4 and be just as happy.  Not an option in this scenario.  

I am personally leaning towards a quad cab, medium box, 4x4 bowtie. Z71, Trail boss.

Thoughts???

• Like 1

oliver2-44

If money weren't an object I would say buy a Toyota.  Toyota reliability seems to be a notch above the others.  While it's a foreign owned company, they are built in San Antonio near me.  I toured the plant a few years ago, very interesting. 

Mid-price range There's things I like and dislike about both the Ford and Chevy. 

I'm not up on the Transmissions, but a friend says the Chevy 1/2 ton has an option with a heavier duty transmission great for towing a camper. 

Dodges seem to be slightly lower price and  I know guys who work them to death and have no problems. Then again I know of others with lots of problems. So Dodge would be off my list.  A friend says buy a Dodge at 30k miles and  sell it at 80k miles.

• Like 2

Pullstart

Do you haul much?  Reason being 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks are much different, transmission options, etc.  

Edited by Pullstart
  • Like 1

Treepep
2 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Do you haul much?  Reason being 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks are much different, transmission options, etc.  

@Pullstart.  I have a single axle trailer I haul wheel horses and My old yanmar with.  A 1/2 ton should be plenty for me.  Other than that I haul landscape supplies.  I have never owned a chevy.

I have driven many along with plowed and hauled heavy equipment.  Never had any issues.  

• Like 1

Pullstart

I have really enjoyed my ‘99-01 series Chevy 1500 and 2500 trucks.  Rust in my area seems to be the big killer.  In 1/2 ton transmissions of that era, 4L60E, there was a sun shell manufacturing issue and they would break, leaving you without reverse, 2nd or 3rd gear I believe.  1st to 4th will get you home, but it’s not fun!  Maybe it was 1st to 3rd and no 2 or 4… but either way the 4L65E took care of that.  Now, I have an ‘05 2500HD gas and of course my ‘01 2500HD diesel (Norman).  None have ever been amazing on fuel mileage.  The LS series engines are pretty well known for being bulletproof.  They had exhaust stud issues, but otherwise pretty good to go!  If you’re looking for even older, the vortec 5.7 engines were pretty easy to work on and quite reliable as well.

• Like 1

Beap52

My last two pickups have been General Motors.  The first one a 1994 Chevrolet K1500 with 4.3.  The second was 1992 GMC K2500 with 5.7.  There is a lot of difference between the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton.  The 3/4 ton has much bigger brakes, a heavier duty transmission and engine cooler, even the drive shaft is much larger.  If I have an option within reasonable price difference, I'd choose 3/4 ton.   Another thing I look for is rust free body.  It's been my experience that rusty bodies usually have rusty fuel lines, brake lines and sometimes frames.  My 94 was nearly rust free but lacked power to pull my 24 foot camping trailer so I sold it and bought the 92.  My current truck, the 92, is absolutely rust free and pictured hooked up to the camper is my favorite pickup.  I realize these old trucks don't have the  pizzazz the new models have but they are simple enough that I can work on them. 

100_1827.JPG

april 2020a.JPG

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

squonk

If you're looking to buy new Toyota only and even they are having some issues. Todays direct injection is causing all kinds of problems. Even Honda cars aren't immune. The big 3 if the engine doesn't get you it's the trans and if either one of them don't it 's the electronics. If I needed a truck today, I'd try to find a Mid 2000's Tundra with updated seats (Toyota std. seats kill my back ) or an early 90's GM TBI ext cab.

• Like 1

Treepep
3 hours ago, Beap52 said:

My last two pickups have been General Motors.  The first one a 1994 Chevrolet K1500 with 4.3.  The second was 1992 GMC K2500 with 5.7.  There is a lot of difference between the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton.  The 3/4 ton has much bigger brakes, a heavier duty transmission and engine cooler, even the drive shaft is much larger.  If I have an option within reasonable price difference, I'd choose 3/4 ton.   Another thing I look for is rust free body.  It's been my experience that rusty bodies usually have rusty fuel lines, brake lines and sometimes frames.  My 94 was nearly rust free but lacked power to pull my 24 foot camping trailer so I sold it and bought the 92.  My current truck, the 92, is absolutely rust free and pictured hooked up to the camper is my favorite pickup.  I realize these old trucks don't have the  pizzazz the new models have but they are simple enough that I can work on them. 

100_1827.JPG

april 2020a.JPG

IF, I could find an older square body with low mileage and no or little cancer that would be fine.  My current truck is rust free and reliable but it has 174000 miles.  Unacceptable to she who must be obeyed...  New is fun and exciting I guess.  I can fix old.  New IDK. 

I think I might attempt to keep my 05.  At least I know what I have into it.  Fixing nearly anything on that is doable.  Trans I paid for (not a fan of wrenching on them).  All else I have done many times over in the time I have owned it.  It wasn't that long ago a guy could buy a used low mileage 4x4 for 20-30k.  That is not possible these days.   

Nice truck(s) Beap52!  

Toyota and nissan were not on my radar either.  Nice looking, seemingly reliable rigs but they sure are proud of them.  

Thanks for the thoughts.  I will keep looking, researching and dragging my feet...

• Like 2

Handy Don

:popcorn:

• Like 1

Achto

I recently was on the search for a newer truck. Being a Mopar fan I am a bit bias toward brand.

There were 2 big criteria's in my search. 

1 - The number on the odometer had to be less than the number on the price tag.

2 - It had to have a minimum of a 6.5 foot box, really would have liked an 8 foot box. 5.5 foot boxes seem to be the most common now days.

With these 2 must have's, I was really close to ordering a brand new truck. 

The truck that I ended up buying is a 2018 Ram 1500. 5.7L, 395hp, 12k lb. towing capacity, 20mpg empty, around 15mpg with 6 garden tractors in tow & tons of creature features. So far I really like this truck.

1635027208_IMG_20231008_080357968_HDR(1).jpg.3c6d2881ddf2da2d323026aef376b49d.jpg

Edited by Achto
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Achto
2 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Yep ...about top speed for a Dodge...:laughing-rolling:

Went back & fixed it. :lol:

• Haha 7

Sparky
1 hour ago, Treepep said:

Toyota and nissan were not on my radar either.  Nice looking, seemingly reliable rigs but they sure are proud of them.  

Thanks for the thoughts.  I will keep looking, researching and dragging my feet...

Don’t count out the Toyota or Nissan. You might pay a bit more but you won’t be on a first name basis with the mechanic at your preferred repair facility. 
  Are you looking at used trucks or new? 
 If I was forced to buy an American brand truck it would have to be a RAM. The GM 1/2 tons are just loaded with engine and transmission issues. 

• Like 2

Horse Newbie

I bought my 1998 Chevy K1500 Silverado Z71 in 2000 with around 37,000 m for 20k.

The mileage was a tad high for two years old, but the truck was CLEAN and had never been used as a truck.

I did have the sun gear/ shell problem that Pullstart mentioned, but the transmission guy said once I had it fixed with a decently manufactured aftermarket part there would be no more trans problems and he was right.

Only other issues I’ve had are mostly AC related, water pumps, alternator, etc…

Knock on wood… The .5.7 liter/ 350 small block engine, I’ve heard, is in the LS family, and according to mechanics are indeed bulletproof. It does leak a little oil.

It has 276,000 miles on it now and is suffering some old age issues like paint failing, plastic dash cracking, some instrument panel bulbs burned out.

But… the truck has no rust, and the interior still looks almost new, as I have always kept towels on the seats and carpets.

Oh, and it does have a cracked windshield and a “loose nut behind the wheel”.

If I had to replace it, I would try to find another one from this era, or a nice square body… good luck…

image.jpeg.594c420e5c52e95278708721861d2ed4.jpegimage.jpeg.14ea371545d3ffd779d227360bf01540.jpegimage.jpeg.70b0d72bb811b2acf543bf4d4a51a60b.jpegimage.jpeg.3fe0d9f5470eaa49d36f531a9eb72d8a.jpegimage.jpeg.1df1a4b569006f9906b343f09f40ca3e.jpegimage.jpeg.14d9a4be2477a48046f08c05cc13e968.jpegimage.jpeg.58fec600e9afba6c9c7641cae88ebd10.jpegimage.jpeg.d36ec3015c0ed201bd278b5c3ab3508b.jpegimage.jpeg.c1250b5873b207dad3c212f0fe64b78d.jpegimage.jpeg.79922cca8c5c7592ee58781a3f011d14.jpegimage.jpeg.388ba86a186b61ccc8928093a3933000.jpegimage.jpeg.b6f3813190401d23e6f1d3760b7e95af.jpegimage.jpeg.fa161abf37e7561c938041928f8f4909.jpegimage.jpeg.2dbef764267dde91faa386cd07e52a71.jpegimage.jpeg.0912dea44ae3ffa6aca98bfe015297f6.jpegimage.jpeg.ce4e4a75e64aea28b35ed602a52d1cbd.jpegimage.jpeg.19bf39be1e2245c370265d97fe8fd70a.jpegimage.jpeg.31064bc2fec9a115dcb01db9a2b57475.jpegimage.jpeg.5cb572b728aabbe451879530fee1d9df.jpegimage.jpeg.fa205d4b2e757d8111513804698b1ae3.jpegimage.jpeg.a48e70876cc70b41cf584fe0e5e9a548.jpegimage.jpeg.a419498225954e17335a5ef9abdfdef6.jpegimage.jpeg.40b9767472dc1c1a216cfa605b0474cf.jpegimage.jpeg.7d6268e209daa8c4f0bd2952f97a8dce.jpegimage.jpeg.359efefa2d19759d6928a2cfc9804d4c.jpeg

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 5
  • Heart 2

squonk
9 hours ago, Sparky said:

Don’t count out the Toyota or Nissan. You might pay a bit more but you won’t be on a first name basis with the mechanic at your preferred repair facility. 
  Are you looking at used trucks or new? 
 If I was forced to buy an American brand truck it would have to be a RAM. The GM 1/2 tons are just loaded with engine and transmission issues. 

RAM ain't no better than GM . I know a couple guys who have pretty much been without their trucks for a year. Transmission issues and even a brand new one from the factory didn't work. Fords are eating turbo's like candy .

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

No dog in this fight, just observing... I live in Big Three Land aka Southeast Michigan  - higher than average brand new vehicles all over the place due to auto employees and their employee lease deals... No one in the industry who designs these trucks drives one for more than 1 year max. They all drive brand new vehicles... Therein lies the problem... other than the squeak rattle and whistle QA/QC guys, they never experience the crap that happens after a few years.  

Proposal: All big three engineers and executives drive 5+ year old vehicles... out of warranty and rusting out... perhaps they will look at their products differently... 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 7

Treepep

Yeah,

The more I research the more I want to find and restore something older that will be buried with me :D I looked at a few older rehabs.  Nice Studebaker and an quad cab IH truck.  The crotchety Midwestern me still wants a decent bed and 4x4.  Not necessary here...until it is.   

New is what my bride would prefer.  I have purchased several brand new 2 wheedlers in my time.  I have never purchased a new truck.

I did not grow up buying new vehicles from the dealer and allowing them to service them like her family.

I am going to pretend that it is going to work out.  The right rig will come along like a 1956 power wagon:)

If only I could chat with young me:rolleyes: I probably wouldn't listen anyway but... So many vehicles and equipment I would have kept! 

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

Handy Don
8 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

No dog in this fight, just observing... I live in Big Three Land aka Southeast Michigan  - higher than average brand new vehicles all over the place due to auto employees and their employee lease deals... No one in the industry who designs these trucks drives one for more than 1 year max. They all drive brand new vehicles... Therein lies the problem... other than the squeak rattle and whistle QA/QC guys, they never experience the crap that happens after a few years.  

Proposal: All big three engineers and executives drive 5+ year old vehicles... out of warranty and rusting out... perhaps they will look at their products differently... 

Two of my brothers worked for one of the Big Three. Both got “evaluation” vehicles every few months that never had more than 20k miles. There was a nominal monthly cost to them and gas, insurance, and maintenance were all covered. They did have to provide weekly reports of usage and experience with the vehicles. Only downsides were they couldn’t choose the vehicle--each time it could be a luxury car, an econobox, or a truck and only they could drive it. Cars leaving the program could be purchased by employees at extremely good pricing so for their “second” car they would typically flip one of these every year or two.

I’ve never owned a vehicle made by their company for the reasons @SylvanLakeWH notes--none of the execs were driving cars they had to pay to own and maintain over the years that most of us would and the “planned obsolescence” showed.

My Dad was loyal to their company’s vehicles (family discount!) but to preserve family relations, the subject of automobiles was (and still is) avoided at most gatherings!

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

@Horse Newbie in my mind, the only thing that could improve your truck would be a stick shift!  However, that hood looks like it’s about time to scrap it out.  If you’re busy I’ll haul it in and send you the funds…. Just because I’m nice like that!

• Haha 2

Handy Don
7 hours ago, Treepep said:

The right rig will come along like a 1956 power wagon

I wish you luck on your search. Those Power Wagons are drop dead cool for off-roading, but I’m not sure how they behave on the highway!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Yes good luck on your search Tree. Just have patience and don't marry the first one you date. I know Dan looked for a long time and finally found one that fits the bill. 

I am cursed with three trucks. A 95 like Newbies but very rusted out. A 2017 Dodge big horn that only sees shows/camper duty. Has never been on a salted road. A 2018 Chev WT daily driver that so far treating me good but starting to rust. 

My consensus is with anything new they are all junk ... just some better junk than others...:)

• Like 3

953 nut

Become a real PITA to a salesman at each dealership in your area. Reject anything they offer that isn't exactly what you are looking for. Most of the used trucks they offered were high mileage and loaded up with stuff I didn't want to pay for. The Dodge  dealership had a plain-jane truck that they rented out when a customer vehicle was going to be tied up for a while. Salesman called me before it went out on the lot knowing what I would and wouldn't buy. Three years old with 12K on the odometer and the price nearly matched the odometer, I damn near broke a leg getting over there as fast as I could.   :woohoo:      Took a few months and I ticked off a few salesmen but it paid off.

• Like 2

Treepep
15 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Yes good luck on your search Tree. Just have patience and don't marry the first one you date. I know Dan looked for a long time and finally found one that fits the bill. 

I am cursed with three trucks. A 95 like Newbies but very rusted out. A 2017 Dodge big horn that only sees shows/camper duty. Has never been on a salted road. A 2018 Chev WT daily driver that so far treating me good but starting to rust. 

My consensus is with anything new they are all junk ... just some better junk than others...:)

Id have to agree.  I probably wont find something new... Wink wink.  Uh back to time machine if I want brandy new.  I have got it all figured out.  Back in time at least 50 years,  buy a new truck, drain gas and treat other fluids.  Storage, play with some stocks and move forward.  Just gotta figure out that timey wimey stuff and im set:D

• Haha 2

Horse Newbie
36 minutes ago, Treepep said:

but very rusted out

56 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Has never been on a salted road

Maybe a bit off topic, but up nawth, rust seems to play a major role in devaluing vehicles…

Not much of a problem down here even though they do salt and brine the roads, they only have to do it once every 2-5 years. 
Can anyone of you ever remember when vehicles up nawth could withstand the salt, or has this always been a problem ?

• Like 1

Achto
38 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Can anyone of you ever remember when vehicles up nawth could withstand the salt, or has this always been a problem ?

Up Nort here we have two types of concrete. Cracked concrete and concrete that is going to crack. Freezing and thawing will take its toll.

We also have 3 types of vehicles. Those that are rusty, those that are going to rust and the lucky ones that get to hibernate through the winter.

Most 73-75 Chevy trucks didn't make it more than 4yrs before things started rusting off from them.

38 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

they do salt and brine the roads, they only have to do it once every 2-5 years. 

Salt & brine can happen 2-5 times a week up here. If you have to drive your vehicle in the winter here, it will rust.

Edited by Achto
  • Sad 4