brewster

Replacement starter

OoPEZoO

I bought my replacement off of amazon, from DB Electrical for like $70.  Bolted right on and fit like the OEM.  Unfortunately, I can't help with getting yours off, as I've never messed with a Magnum motor.  My tractor is a mid 80's 314-8 with a K321 in it, so my fit up is a little easier. Just 2 bolts, the wires, and no messing with the dipstick tube.  

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, brewster said:

My grass is greening and my starter still needs work. So, I’m back at it. How do I remove the starter? And, how do I remove the oil fill tube? Thanks for all advice!

First disconnect the positive+ cable from the battery.  Then disconnect the same cable from the starter.      Clean both lug ends with a stiff wire brush.

Remove the oil dip stick.  Remove the two bolts at the bottom of the fill tube.  Cut a 6" long piece of large rubber hose and slit it to fit around the fill pipe to act as insulation with the starter lug.  Loosen  the two bolts at the rear of the starter. They are long enough to fit entirely thru the starter body holding it together and also bolting it to the engine block.   After the starter is free from the block, I usually pull it back enough to put a nut on the two bolts to hold the starter together during assembly and disassembly to prevent it from falling apart.

If you allow it to fall apart, there is some tricks required to reassemble the brushes.  Don't allow it to fall apart.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 3

Bill D
On 10/21/2023 at 9:01 PM, Horse Newbie said:

No !

Rebuild the OE… I bought an aftermarket for a Cub … regret it …

What engine is in your cub?  I may have a starter if you need one?

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
On 4/25/2024 at 8:31 PM, Bill D said:

What engine is in your cub?  I may have a starter if you need one?

Let me check @Bill D ,

My Cub is cranking with Taryl’s “add a solenoid” trick, but I would like to get my hands on an OEM starter if I could.

I will get back to you.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

Taryl’s “add a solenoid” trick,

What's this ?