Keaton

701 history

Keaton

I was wondering of anyone knows some history about the wheel horse 701 i have one and i do not know much about them- thank you verry much if you can help, keaton

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

The 701 was the first front engine riding garden tractor made by Wheel Horse. They were a leader in the market for many years. This manual may be interesting to you.

• Like 3

Keaton

@953 nut I have looked at that manual i was actually looking at it eariler to help a guy find parts for a 551, but i cant cay i knew that i found it at the greenfeild, iowa swap meet it is a neat tractor i have it running and it runs good. thank you for that-keaton

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ri702bill

As mentioned, the 701 was WH's first front engine tractor, and the first to use the classic 2 piece 4 speed Unidrive (with a straight shifter lever)

Also had a one year only double belt drive on the Starter - Generator, as that years K161 did not have an ACR  (Automatic Compression Release) - the 1962 and later versions did.

A 1 piece, one gallon cast aluminum gas tank, carried on with the 702 a year later. The 701 had a plastic removable dash plate fastened to the gas tank, the one on the 702 was cast iron.

Rear fenders and support straps are specific to the 701 only. The was no notch in the hoodstand for a parking brake, as there was none. No small guard over that mechanism either.

Bill

Forgot one!! the 701 belt guard is flat - no embossed area for the model decal - no decal either!!

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:

:banana-gotpics:

Round hoods rock!

• Excellent 2
  • Haha 1

WHX??

Fan gear & support  a one-off too. Otherwise Bill nailed it. 

Just my absolute favorite 701 pic. @Lane Ranger on the far left.

You'll not see finer examples. BS 2021

20210625_120758.jpg

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 4

Keaton

@ri702bill thank you for the info, i will keep note of that foe when i restore my 701 eventaully and that plastic dash plate on mine was broke so i made one out of aluminum dimond plate so it is more sturdy 

@WHX?? i love that pic and i would like a front sicle bar like that, mine now has a deck but i dont have the belt for it i will see if the one of of my 856 is the right size cause i have it off cause i am restoing it if not i will find the size and get it going. and i need that belt gaud and i like thoes headlignts 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
41 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Round hoods rock!

Lol... last year plow day a guy shows up with a roundy for sale. I didn't need another one. Dan says something to the effect of the missus feelin frisky and a round hood for sale... never pass on the opportunity...:D

• Excellent 2
  • Haha 2

Keaton

round hoosd are cool i only have one but it is cool, i got mine at the greenfeild iowa swap meet it runs and drives.

• Excellent 2

rmaynard
40 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

You'll not see finer examples....

Except maybe this...:ph34r:

701A.jpg.e5f972f7044a647f9f047f92092bd9fa.jpg

• Excellent 5
  • Heart 2

Lane Ranger

My 1961 701 is my favorite tractor!  It does ha r the Hein Werner hydraulic pump for lifting mid and rear attachments which is a very nice feature on round hood wheel horse garden tractors

This one has the CBR-327 front chain drive cutter bar which was pictured with the three other ones at the Big Wheel Horse Collector’s Club Show in Pennsylvania in 2022.

Mine has some unique features like the chromed dash (came from a 702 but made to fit 701 style). And the stainless hood hinge for lifting)    To each his own in their live of their tractor!

IMG_0188.jpeg

IMG_6979.jpeg

IMG_6978.jpeg

IMG_6601.jpeg

IMG_6600.jpeg

IMG_1704.jpeg

IMG_9441.jpeg

IMG_9989.jpeg

IMG_0183.jpeg

IMG_1705.jpeg

IMG_5071.heic

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 7

Keaton

@Lane Ranger that is a verry nice 701 and that front bar is an attachment i would love to have it looks nice mine does not have any speical features that i know of but i need the the belt cover if you had one or knew someone that had ine i would like to get it. i mad a dash for mine out of dimond plate i will post some pictures later when i get home. i have apart now i had the flytheel off cause the bolts on the pulley broke wheil i was trying to get it off to clean it off, but i got them out. like i said i will send some pictures when i get home

• Excellent 1

ri702bill
2 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Lol... last year plow day a guy shows up with a roundy for sale. I didn't need another one. Dan says something to the effect of the missus feelin frisky and a round hood for sale... never pass on the opportunity...:D

Both  good words of advise.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ri702bill

Now THAT is what I call a Gopher Patrol !!!   :laughing-rofl:

IMG_6601.jpeg

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Keaton

I am working on my 701 now I can not more photos in because they have to be a certain size I will try to figure it out in the one picture I put a quick coat of primer on the flywheel because I had to use the torch on it to get a broken bolt out, I plan to restore it next year I tried to put photos in but it will still not let me weird, if you know the answer for that it would help a lot

IMG_0654.jpeg

Edited by Keaton
  • Like 2

AMC RULES

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

WHX??

Wow now there's something you don't see every day Lane. A 701 being used as meant. I plan on dropping mine in a furrow Dan ever gets the bugs worked out... :lol:

20200823_080125.jpg

20230530_093941.jpg

• Excellent 4

WHX??
5 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Except maybe this...:ph34r:

701A.jpg.e5f972f7044a647f9f047f92092bd9fa.jpg

You get yours done Bob?

• Excellent 1

Keaton

wow i have never seen a 701 in that bad of condition, mine is mostly complete all that i know of that is missing is the belt gaurd but you did a exelent job on that. if anyone has a double belt cover that they are willing to part with i would like to find one cause i plan to restore it this summer. thanks for the help-keaton

rmaynard
10 hours ago, WHX?? said:

You get yours done Bob?

This was the one I did in 2012. Yes, I got the other one done in time for this years show. 

• Like 1

Pullstart
8 hours ago, Keaton said:

wow i have never seen a 701 in that bad of condition, mine is mostly complete all that i know of that is missing is the belt gaurd but you did a exelent job on that. if anyone has a double belt cover that they are willing to part with i would like to find one cause i plan to restore it this summer. thanks for the help-keaton

Those belt guards are pretty hard to find.  Best of luck coming across a spare, they were truly a one year only part due to a new engine and no compression release they had two belts.  

rmaynard
8 hours ago, Keaton said:

...if anyone has a double belt cover that they are willing to part with i would like to find one cause i plan to restore it this summer.

Good luck with that. You are now in search of one of the most elusive parts for that tractor. It was only made that year. No other tractor used it. If you do find one, be prepared to spend big bucks.

• Like 1

Keaton

i have a belt cover that came with it it is a  belt cover off of some other tractor and someone cut it up and made homeade mounts for it it looks horriable. i was working on my 701 last night i got the flywheel back in and i have it all back togher now. i will keep my eye out for a belt cover or ask a couple of my friends that have wheel horses to see if they possibally have one 

Pullstart

We are talking about the starter/generator belt guard, or the drive belt guard?