Pokk

C160 H stalls when PTO is engaged

Pokk

Hi all,

She starts no issue and runs strong !

I got her a few years ago but had never used it until last winter when I used a snow blower and added some 10W40 motor oil to the Tranxale. I made a mistake and added too much. 

Then I noticed that when I engaged the PTO, the engine stalled. 
I put the snow plow on instead of the blower, it ran fine except I found oil leaking from a hose and the cup of the lifter.

Anyone, please advise me.
Thanks 

gwest_ca

Have a model number and serial number?

Do you have a seat switch?

The pto switch and the seat switch control the ignition on most models. Operator falls out of seat with the pto engaged so ignition is shut off.

• Like 1

WHGuy413

Definitely sounds like a safety switch issue to me. Had the same problem with a c-105 that I worked on for a friend. Safety switch ended up being bad.

Pokk
3 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Have a model number and serial number?

Do you have a seat switch?

The pto switch and the seat switch control the ignition on most models. Operator falls out of seat with the pto engaged so ignition is shut off.

I do not remember, but I do remember the PTO working with the snow blower at one point. I looked under the seat and saw a plug, but it was not connected to the seat. I may have accidentally disconnected it but I don't recall.   

IMG_2575.JPG

IMG_2577.JPG

953 nut

You said it stalled with the snow blower on but was not a problem previously.  Will energising the PTO without the snow blower stop the engine from running without the snow blower on the tractor?

On later model :wh: the PTO switch has two switches in it. One switch will prevent the starter from operating when the PTO is engaged, the other half on the PTO switch is in series with the seat switch and will shut down the engine's ignition if there is no operator in the seat when the PTO is activated. 

The wiring diagram for a 1977 B and C series shows an electrical switch that will prevent starting with the PTO on but there doesn't appear to be a seat switch and nothing from PTO switch controlling the ignition.     :confusion-confused:

Racinbob

Richard, that is not the correct diagram. I was baffled when I read your post because I knew my 76 had a seat switch and you're right,  it doesn't show it. Here is the correct diagram taken from the original owners manual. Apparently we need to be wary of those colored diagrams.  :)

315543183_WiringDiagram2.jpg.2f2fcea85a4156607117ea220ad10796.jpg

• Thanks 1

953 nut
3 hours ago, Racinbob said:

I was baffled when I read your post because I knew my 76 had a seat switch and you're right,  it doesn't show it

Thanks for posting this Bob. I couldn't think of a component that would cause this problem if it wasn't a seat switch. The drawing I pulled up from the files section was a bit confusing since it shows two PTO switches and  lines that don't lead to anything that are calling out for a manual PTO and an electric PTO.   :confusion-shrug:

Perhaps this is something Garry @gwest_ca can look into for us.

1475122585_Screenshot(154).png.08bc30a4477f9ed108ea09e66240005c.png

953 nut

The 1975 wiring diagram in our files section is like the one @Racinbob has shown us if @Pokk has a manual PTO rather than an Electric one. Keep the faith, we will figure this out!

591635964_Screenshot(155).png.1409227b74795a634456bf0dbad63bee.png

• Like 1

Pokk

I found this on the internet Wheel Horse C160H 71-16KS01. It shows a wire to the seat which mine is missing the end wire connector of the seat (I might accidentally remove it). How/where can I connect it/buy it?

image.png.d68104ce9598071e543c647ca1b7dc25.png

gwest_ca

Read the notes here.

• Like 1

gwest_ca
20 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Thanks for posting this Bob. I couldn't think of a component that would cause this problem if it wasn't a seat switch. The drawing I pulled up from the files section was a bit confusing since it shows two PTO switches and  lines that don't lead to anything that are calling out for a manual PTO and an electric PTO.   :confusion-shrug:

Perhaps this is something Garry @gwest_ca can look into for us.

1475122585_Screenshot(154).png.08bc30a4477f9ed108ea09e66240005c.png

Models with electric pto clutch have the wiring on the left and controls the starter with the pto switch. Have forgotten which tractor models these are. 

Models with manual pto clutch have the wiring on the right. Single pto switch controls starter.

• Like 1

953 nut
4 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Models with electric pto clutch have the wiring on the left and controls the starter with the pto switch. Have forgotten which tractor models these are. 

Models with manual pto clutch have the wiring on the right. Single pto switch controls starter.

Do the electric PTO models have a seat switch? Seems rather odd that the 1975 drawing with a manual PTO has a set switch. and the electric PTO models show two switches. I have never owned either one so have no firsthand knowledge.

• Like 1

Pokk

Hello everyone,

Has anyone saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BPwY2s5Xco&t=880s&ab_channel=BrandonMatz

I assumed he meant that there are two types of fluid: the hydraulic fluid (the first cap he filled with fluid and spilled at 12:22) and the transmission fluid. What is the hydraulic fluid I should use, mind it has been leaking on a hose.

Pokk
9 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Do the electric PTO models have a seat switch? Seems rather odd that the 1975 drawing with a manual PTO has a set switch. and the electric PTO models show two switches. I have never owned either one so have no firsthand knowledge.

Me too

953 nut
1 hour ago, Pokk said:

Has anyone saw this:

Should have used 10 W 30 or 10 W 40 oil.   Dexron was used up to 1971 or so.