ebinmaine

Mackissic chipper shredder restoration

OutdoorEnvy

Nice work!  I’ve been on the lookout for a shredder for this kind if project.  Looking forward to your progress.  Going to paint it when you’re done?

Edited by OutdoorEnvy
  • Like 3

gwest_ca

The screws mounting the anvil may be countersunk secured with Allen head screws. The hex holes may be filled with pitch and dirt that needs to be removed. I ended up tipping the machine so the heads were level so acetone would stay in the holes. Want to save the screws because they are likely Grade 8. Took days to do it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

c-series don

@ebinmaineI’ll be following along with this thread (you probably already knew that but…) I can’t wait to see the finished product. Are you going to paint it the original color? I’ll bet Terri could make some nice decals for it 👍🏻

• Like 2

OoPEZoO

Nice.....I bought one at the big show this year and mounted it on the front of my 314-8.  It has more than paid for itself already.  Mine came with the 1/2" screen holes and was WAAAAAY too small for the crap I was shoving through the hopper.  I ended up picking up one of the 3″ x 1-1/2″ oval screens and it works MUCH better for my application.  I have been clearing brush/briers/vines from a creek bed that my property backs up to.  My only "issue" has been that I think I still have the belt too loose.  Every time I feed something largish into the chipper chute, the flywheel slows way down and i have to wait for it to spool up again.  I have been slowly adding more tension to the belt, but I can already tell having a loose belt is my safety valve in case something locks up.  Anyway.....carry on.  Cant wait to see the rebuild

IMG_2679.jpeg.a0a9280416dfcf4728681cb2cf344323.jpeg

Edited by OoPEZoO
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Moparfanforever

Looking forward to you rebuilding this, I hope it is not to Collosus of a job !!

:ROTF:

• Haha 3

gwest_ca
48 minutes ago, OoPEZoO said:

Nice.....I bought one at the big show this year and mounted it on the front of my 314-8.  It has more than paid for itself already.  Mine came with the 1/2" screen holes and was WAAAAAY too small for the crap I was shoving through the hopper.  I ended up picking up one of the 1"x2" oval screens and it works MUCH better for my application.  I have been clearing brush/briers/vines from a creek bed that my property backs up to.  My only "issue" has been that I think I still have the belt too loose.  Every time I feed something largish into the chipper chute, the flywheel slows way down and i have to wait for it to spool up again.  I have been slowly adding more tension to the belt, but I can already tell having a loose belt is my safety valve in case something locks up.  Anyway.....carry on.  Cant wait to see the rebuild

IMG_2679.jpeg.a0a9280416dfcf4728681cb2cf344323.jpeg

Is the idler on the top or bottom span of belt? It will work better if it is on the bottom span and spring loaded would be even better.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, OutdoorEnvy said:

Going to paint it when you’re done?

Absolutely!!

2 hours ago, c-series don said:

Are you going to paint it the original color? I’ll bet Terri could make some nice decals for it 👍🏻

This particular one was originally a green close to Oliver tractors. 

They were also done red and black. 

I'd like the safety aspect to be a factor in the color. 

This'll be a brighter tone of some sort.   

Haven't decided on the color yet.  

@Vinylguy has already made up some great new decals for this machine !!

• Like 1

Mows4three

Eric,

I wish my dad would have known about these choppers when we were still farming.   He used to raise some seriously large hogs.   Biggest in the state.   This would have been perfect for making ham salad out of the leftovers from Thanksgiving dinner………..LOL!

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

peter lena

@ebinmaine like that set up , your experimentation is vital , actual function  improvements / changes will make that cruise along  , that very small flat idler pulley , is glairing to me , easily looks like a  noisy / highly stressed , failure waiting to happen , what ever your change , a RE GREASE , is base line , survival . also that  spring pull area , improvement , heavier spring , every related , movement point , responding with ease. would also ensure the pto driven starting , related areas , are RE LUBED as well. original set up was never detailed , for hard / heavy usage , improve / change as you go , every movement hand off , has to be equal , thats your road test . the easier it works , proves your changes , you jumped over the fence long ago , should be easy , greasy Pete 

• Like 2

JoeM

had one here a couple months ago run through the auction. I really didn't need it and let it go. was less than $50. I guess I should have snagged it and flipped?

• Like 3

OoPEZoO
14 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Is the idler on the top or bottom span of belt? It will work better if it is on the bottom span and spring loaded would be even better.

the tensioner on mine is on the top belt span and is spring loaded pulling down. I imagine it wouldn’t take much to reverse that to the bottom pulling up. I’ve only used it twice since picking it up, but those 2 times were for 4+ hours at a time. Haven’t had much time to fiddle with it, but thank you for the tip. I’ll check it out and see if that improves things

edit: actually just looked at it now, I think all,I have to do is swap the spring to a top mounting point and rotate the pulley on its pivot point and think I’m good to go. In fact, I suspect that’s how it should be and the PO just guessed wrong. Either way, thanks 

Edited by OoPEZoO
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, JoeM said:

had one here a couple months ago run through the auction. I really didn't need it and let it go. was less than $50. I guess I should have snagged it and flipped?

Can't touch one around here for less than 3 or 400.... 

ebinmaine
17 hours ago, OoPEZoO said:

the tensioner on mine is on the top belt span and is spring loaded pulling down. I imagine it wouldn’t take much to reverse that to the bottom pulling up. I’ve only used it twice since picking it up, but those 2 times were for 4+ hours at a time. Haven’t had much time to fiddle with it, but thank you for the tip. I’ll check it out and see if that improves things

edit: actually just looked at it now, I think all,I have to do is swap the spring to a top mounting point and rotate the pulley on its pivot point and think I’m good to go. In fact, I suspect that’s how it should be and the PO just guessed wrong. Either way, thanks 

Could you please post pics of your own machine is set up?

Oldskool

Looks like a good project. Didn't realize it took a stick that size. Very handy indeed.

Oldskool

You mentioned flipping the hammers.

You could hard face the worn side to save the hammers instead of wearing down the last good side.

I think gasless hardface mig wire is available 

ebinmaine
25 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

You mentioned flipping the hammers.

You could hard face the worn side to save the hammers instead of wearing down the last good side.

I think gasless hardface mig wire is available 

That's a reasonable option and you are technically correct but the cutting edges in there now are already worn over .. round.

For each Hammer there are FOUR cutting edges.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

I owned one of the McKissic Shredders ten years ago and sold it to Scott Mehlberg.   I placed the Wheel Horse version manual on the Red Square Wheel Horse Forum for anyone needing a reference.   Yes the four sides of the hammerheads can be used when turned around.  The hammers are heat treated for hardness.   These will cut some fairly good tree and bush limbs.   The screens can be changed in the bottom of the machine to difference sizes.

post-339-0-57015700-1429566206_thumb.jpgpost-339-0-46841300-1429566237_thumb.jpgpost-339-0-04593500-1429566273_thumb.jpgpost-339-0-04135600-1429566302_thumb.jpgpost-339-0-26867900-1429566329_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

OoPEZoO
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Could you please post pics of your own machine is set up?

Sure can

Here is how it was configured when I got it and how I have used it so far.  Spring tensioner pulling down on the top belt run.  This does NOT work well.  Anything of significant size going into the chipper chute will cause the belt to loosen too much and the flywheel slows down to the point where I have to wait for it to get back up to speed.

IMG_2757.jpeg.f9fdaa8c7196f394069a9bcc8cb0f905.jpeg

Right after I snapped that pic, I pulled the spring off and swapped the tensioner around to the lower belt run.  I don't have a good anchor point for the spring yet, but that will be remedied shortly.  Looking at that though, I now have some belt interference with my muffler.  I'll have to give that some thought.

IMG_2758.jpeg.4de5dbc2c2a106396efb930eac3b3b7d.jpeg

IMG_2761.jpeg.2b78f8c891183582f6847a6559ea1292.jpeg

• Thanks 1

OoPEZoO

and here is the 1/2" screen that came with it, plus a spare NOS chipper blade I picked up cheap on the auction site.  Also, the 3″ x 1-1/2″ oval screen I bought as well.  I like the oval screen much better for my application.  The 1/2" I think would only work for very dry material, and most of what I'm shredding is still green

IMG_2760.jpeg.07b4dc722684353356cdde99f6bbf229.jpeg

IMG_2759.jpeg.186f6e9c84001dc42c2a2874a35f477a.jpeg

Edited by OoPEZoO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
Just now, OoPEZoO said:

and here is the 1/2" screen that came with it, plus a spare NOS chipper blade I picked up cheap on the auction site.  Also, the 1"x2" oval screen I bought as well.  I like the oval screen much better for my application.  The 1/2" I think would only work for very dry material, and most of what I'm shredding is still green. 

I'm not sure if most of what I do is green or dry. Probably a fair mix.

Even so, I'd agree that I would rather have the larger chips.

I haven't measured the output holes on my own screen but I think it's maybe 1 inch?

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

I owned one of the McKissic Shredders

Thanks for posting these pictures Lane!

• Like 1

OoPEZoO
13 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I haven't measured the output holes on my own screen but I think it's maybe 1 inch?

By your pictures, I would agree with that.  That should be the "stock" screen that came with these machines from what I understand.  I was going to buy a 1" one straight from MacKissic, but then the oval one popped up on the auction site along with the chipping blade for less than half the cost of new.  Made that decision easy.  From what I checked on, everything is still available from MacKissic.....and I'll take some of that back.....according to MacKissic, the oval screen is (3″ x 1-1/2″ oblong openings).  I never put a tape measure on them before I installed it.

Edited by OoPEZoO
  • Like 1

Handy Don
4 hours ago, OoPEZoO said:

Looking at that though, I now have some belt interference with my muffler.  I'll have to give that some thought

A fixed idler on the top, rather than the sprung one, will do you ok to address the muffler clearance, with the sprung one good on the bottom.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, Handy Don said:

A fixed idler on the top, rather than the sprung one, will do you ok to address the muffler clearance, with the sprung one good on the bottom.

Would it be helpful to increase the spring pressure on the tensioner pulley as well?