ebinmaine

What is Growing Season to you?

ebinmaine

An article popped up in my phone news feed this morning about when us folks here in Maine needed to start watching for frost.

Having grown up in north central Massachusetts near the Vermont and New Hampshire border we were pretty much always told that it was mid May to mid September, give or take.  

Her in southwestern Maine at the beginning of the foothills of the White mountains we are told, Memorial Day to Labor Day. 

As many of you are aware there are several things that can be planted in early and stay late.

Below are some screenshots including where we live, circled in red.

Where are you and what is your growing season?

1936787068_Screenshot_20230927-0445452.png.fa1c6626a619f162e8aa2c8c7e906e1c.png

1910073574_Screenshot_20230927-0444052.png.33b1127bf293be9fefbdcfd02569f94d.png

1034042241_Screenshot_20230927-0445453.png.4f544ddff33dc39a7f681703b58372a3.png

Screenshot_20230927-044405~3.png

• Like 2

oliver2-44

Living in Central Texas you could say we have three growing seasons. The spring growing season is Easter to Halloween, maybe even Thanksgiving. But it really is late March to late June. July and August it’s to hot for most things except Okra.  The Fall season is September to Thanksgiving is a second window with a growing risk of frost after Halloween.  
Then for a third  “Cold season” crops such as broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, spinach, cabbage, onions and garlic for Thanksgiving to Easter crops.  We. Corer these crops on nights there is a risk of frost or hard freeze. 

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 3

Achto

In Wisconsin I try to have my plants in around Mothers Day. Sometimes have to cover them if there is a threat of frost. Season seems to run later & later each year. Plants are still doing well. Thinking mid October before they will be done.

One crop that gets planted in the fall here is winter wheat. It will get planted between mid Sept. and early Oct. It will start to grow, winter over, finish growing in the spring/summer & then harvest around July to early August.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

From my years in Maine, I know, around Acadia National Park, Me. is was on the same line as Green Bay, Wisconsin.  That said, me being 300 miles south of that here in the Chicago area, the growing season is mid-March to late October (depending on what you have planted).  

On a side note, I stopped growing some 50 years ago.  It was painful at times, as you can imagine...but I seemed to have lived through it.  If you keep dumping manure on me, I might make another 20 to 30 years.  Just drip a little Rock & Rye on the manure once in a while.  :occasion-xmas:

• Haha 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine

@stevasaurus

:ROTF:

• Heart 1

peter lena

@ebinmaine we are having so much rain , cutting  twice a week is  regular now , mornings  chiller , long look , says  not as much snow , we will see, Pete

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, peter lena said:

having so much rain ,

That was us in June July and some of August. First half of. September was record setting for humidity. 

Much better now. 

We've been having great days. Dry. Sunny. 

• Like 1