Pullstart

Today Didn’t Suck!

ebinmaine

AWESOME 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rob J.

Some nice ones! That’s about 50 miles due west of me. Pure Michigan Baby! 

• Like 3

Rob J.
4 minutes ago, Rob J. said:

Some nice ones! That’s about 50 miles due west of me. Pure Michigan Baby! 

I’m pretty sure the ole Pere Marquette railroad, which is now a bike trail, runs all the way from my town all the way past PM to the big lake. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Achto

Looks like an awesome time. :handgestures-thumbupright: So much color to those fish! Unlike catching them out of Lake Michigan where everything is silver in color.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

:eusa-clap:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@Pullstart  lucky you ! can relate , fished / floated the on the Missouri , in Montana , can feel the incredible pull / fight of those fish !  my travel days are over , but those fish are Alaska size , had moose watching us as we drifted by ,  good for you .! pete

• Excellent 1

Skwerl58

They are monsters!! That is a great day of fishing. Fish that size are hard to guestimate weight on but how much did they way? When you don't see that size of fish you have no idea of their weight. Fly fishing is one of the fun things that I have done. I use my old 5-6 wt Cabelas outfits to trout fish locally. Mostly stocked fish but have quite a few native browns and brooks in the mountains. I usually fish by myself so do not go as much since I have gotten older. 

Pullstart
53 minutes ago, Skwerl58 said:

They are monsters!! That is a great day of fishing. Fish that size are hard to guestimate weight on but how much did they way? When you don't see that size of fish you have no idea of their weight. Fly fishing is one of the fun things that I have done. I use my old 5-6 wt Cabelas outfits to trout fish locally. Mostly stocked fish but have quite a few native browns and brooks in the mountains. I usually fish by myself so do not go as much since I have gotten older. 

Most of these were 18-20 lbs.  he said a 25 pounder in the river this year is MASSIVE.  I’m not sure if I shared these picture yet, but in July we were on an Alaskan cruise and landed some monsters up the river in Ketchikan.  My two were around 30 lbs and my buddy Matt’s was pushing 35+

0769DC5C-1DA4-451C-A1CC-A4702F87A1BD.png

419045A5-6C4D-4CBD-818A-2622EACF638D.jpeg

• Excellent 2

rjg854

Looks like a great time, fishin'   

You look even happier than on one of your :wh:'s

• Haha 1

Kenneth R Cluley

Those smiles tell it all. Looks like a great time. I caught some big salmon in Alaska several years ago. Couldn't believe how big the mosquitoes were. Buddy who lived there chumped on me being from Florida and not recognizing mosquitoes.

• Thanks 1

peter lena

@Kenneth R Cluley   fished  floated the TOGIAK  in Alaska , was hearing a very loud  whirring / buzzing  sound , thought there was  a float plane coming up toward us , sky got very grey / dark , was mosquito's  so dense , it was incredible , we were covered in netting , they were still on us in covering numbers , managed to get into a side run around that , they  flew back to the storm . the fish were worth it though , Pete    

• Like 1

Pullstart
26 minutes ago, Kenneth R Cluley said:

mosquitoes

We heard stories, but never saw a single skeeter in Alaska!  :banana-linedance:

• Thanks 1

stevebo

Monsters!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Skwerl58

A friend and his son would take annual trips to Alaska and fish the Kenai and a couple other places. He gave me probably 5 pounds of Sockeye and some cod fillets and it was the best fish I had ever eaten. Each year he went and would bring me some until they changed the regulations. Great fishing!!!

• Heart 1

wh500special
22 hours ago, Pullstart said:

This was a fly only section of the river and the river is catch and release only.  

Interesting that it’s catch and release only on the Kings since their days are very numbered once they are in that river.  

Opportunities like that make me wonder why my ancestors decided to be poor in this part of the country…they could have been poor anywhere and would have had better fishing in many other places. 😜

Looks like a great day!

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
28 minutes ago, wh500special said:

Interesting that it’s catch and release only on the Kings since their days are very numbered once they are in that river.  

My thoughts too, but it has proven to allow more spawning before they expire apparently, as that river has higher fish numbers than others.  

28 minutes ago, wh500special said:

Opportunities like that make me wonder why my ancestors decided to be poor in this part of the country…they could have been poor anywhere and would have had better fishing in many other places. 😜

Looks like a great day!

Steve

:lol:

• Like 1

Pullstart

Today was Mrs. P’s turn.  Different river, different rules.  8 king salmon landed between her father, brother and herself.  Most of the fish ended up in our freezer!

8414E235-20C7-4497-8FBB-4B6F19C097F4.jpeg

96E17298-7D80-4757-ADDB-40329024E38F.jpeg

• Excellent 1

Pullstart

My BIL Colton’s big king was 27.5 lbs

B3714F55-0DF4-4929-88B6-0724898E807C.jpeg

663DF968-477E-477C-838D-4B39CA597407.jpeg

0E960D3C-F1E7-4D70-A46A-6C6A5D43E12A.jpeg

1E788FF2-71CD-4484-B40F-B1BF92E3F166.jpeg

009572AA-6235-4628-8ED0-E74970A7C220.jpeg

8B124DF9-1474-44DB-951A-2918E46B2B92.jpeg