daveoman1966

C-160 Engine races...

daveoman1966

I have two C-160 Auto tractors ...both with K341s engines...and one of them has an RPM issue.  With engine at 1/4 throttle, it'll climb most any hill and run smooth on level ground as well.  However, when going downhill, the engine revs uncontrollably fast...way beyond the 1/4 throttle setting.  The throttle lever doesn't move, but the engine revs up.  I've tried resolving this issue by installing a light spring on the throttle plate/lever /arm at the carb, to no avail...still does it.  

IDEAS...????? 

• Like 1

case442

Sounds to me like a governor issue. Hopefully just need to re adjust the governor shaft or perhaps the governor spring to a different position. Or worst case scenario the governor is bad and will require engine disassembly.

• Sad 1

Shynon

I would pull the head and check the valves to make sure they are closing all the way. 

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Is the engine actually reving Dave?   Or is it the scary Sundstrand downhill runaway?

• Like 1

peter lena

@daveoman1966  think @case442 is on the right track , when verifying a related governor issue . hanging up , slight binding in action . started adding a few drops of  super lube oil in the swing point areas , each end, almost immediate  rust run out . then went over entire function  for free , smooth , easy response. using that as a test bed opportunity , did the same detail  function  check on my other 2  horses.  regularly check for function , super lube , also have spring assist on all my lever / linkage areas . many hours / years , no problems . might not be exact  fix , but would bet its related .  https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-51004-Synthetic-Viscosity/dp/B000UKUHXK/ref=asc_df_B000UKUHXK/?tag=hyprod-   check temp ratings , great on cables too , pete  

• Like 1

JoeM

got to do a leak down test and go from there.

• Like 2

squonk
4 minutes ago, Joey Small Block said:

got to do a leak down test and go from there.

That reminds me of the Ford Falcon I had in HS. You could push it in gear and the engine would turn over! :lol:

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Is the engine actually reving Dave?   Or is it the scary Sundstrand downhill runaway?

Mine does that ..

Valves are good .. compression is good.  

I have to pull way back on the Motion Control lever to keep it slow.  

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Mine does that ..

Valves are good .. compression is good.  

I have to pull way back on the Motion Control lever to keep it slow.  

I find the Eaton 1100s are not as bad as the Sunnys.    Motion Control is a spring loaded foot pedal on all my Eatons.    Push down to go fast and allow the spring to  raise the pedal up to slow, stop, and reverse.

• Like 2

daveoman1966
19 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

It's not a run-away.  Been there---dun that.  The engine revs as if high on MJ.  

• Like 1

daveoman1966

As stated, I have two C-160 Auto with exact same K341s engine.  I removed the air filter(s) and all the carb/gov/throttle/choke linkages are hooked up EXACTLY the same.  (I've also put 'rebuild' kit in each carb.)  So.....

NEXT..  How does one go about SETTING THE GOVERNOR???  

I can see that a P.O. has messed with it... but how do I get it RIGHT??  

ps...image 2462 is good.  image 2477 REVS.  

IMG_2462.JPG

IMG_2477.JPG

squonk

I wouldn't be surprised if the internal tab on the governor shaft is broken.

daveoman1966
On 9/7/2023 at 6:32 AM, Shynon said:

I would pull the head and check the valves to make sure they are closing all the way. 

I did pull the air vent on front and set the valve clearance to OEM specs.   If memory serves, .009 on intake  -- .0020 on exhaust.  

• Like 1

daveoman1966
4 minutes ago, squonk said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the internal tab on the governor shaft is broken.

DON'T tell me that....  DON'T wanna hear it.  Fingers and toes crossed for something simple.

Is there any way to know for sure... 

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Haha 1

ineedanother

Hey Dave, since you said that the PO has messed with the governor, I suspect that the one in question is the top pic. Pretty easy.

• Loosen the governor arm.
  • Clamp a set of vise grips on the shaft so the weight of the grips rotates the shaft counter-clockwise.
  • Push the throttle linkage to the left (to the idle position, which rotates the arm on the governor shaft)
  • Tighten the arm on the shaft (do not overtighten as to "stretch" the clamping end of the arm).
  • Done.
Edited by ineedanother
  • Like 1

squonk
58 minutes ago, daveoman1966 said:

DON'T tell me that....  DON'T wanna hear it.  Fingers and toes crossed for something simple.

Is there any way to know for sure... 

Unhook the link to the throttle lever on the carb. Try. moving the governor arm away from the carb. If you can move that lever a couple inches without it wanting to stop it's broken.

• Like 1

daveoman1966

HOORAY FOR ME.... I WON.  Finally, I was rewarded with a SIMPLE solution to the K341 engine rev issue:  

The Clamp on the Governor arm was NOT tightened to the Gov Rod...just loosely fit by P.O. 

Reset the Gov arm as per 'INEEDANOTHER' above, clamped it tight in position and PRESTO...no more over-rev.

YEAHHHHH.    Thanx y'all...  

IMG_2502.JPG.481771819796a7cc45c61d3605b281ce.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1