Racinbob

854 Engine Swap

pfrederi

I have used these on some S/G..  Some of mine have slightly different size pulleys on the S/G  Replaced by some PO or shop during a rebuild???

Screenshot 2023-09-27 133436.jpg

squonk
7 hours ago, Racinbob said:

Guys, I need some guidance here. I was wrapping things up and putting the starter/generator belt back on. It's clearly old but I decided to use it since it won't be a TSC item. I may have been a bit aggressive with it and ended up breaking it. :eusa-doh:I went to the parts list and it doesn't give a p/n. I'm pretty sure it's a Gates 7312. It measures 31 5/16". With the gen adjusted as far in as it goes when I pull the belt tight around it I can get the ends no closer than 1/2" apart. The width is 3/8". 

So, I go to the Gates site. Per their chart a 7312 is 31.84". A 7315 is 32.34" which seems just right to me. What have you guys done? 

:)

Bob, I put a Napa 25-7320 notched belt on my small block gennys.  HC41 profile 13/32" wide by 32 7/8" long. Puts the adjustment right in the middle. Cost more than your run of the mill internet belt but top of the line Gates quality.

High Capacity V-Belt (Standard) HC41 13/32" x 32 7/8"

Belt Angle
36 Deg
Belt Construction
Notched

Belt Material
Ethylene (EPDM)
Brand
NAPA
Cord Material
Polyester
Cross Section Designation of Belt
HC41
Effective Length
32 in
Manufacturer
Gates
Notched Belt
Yes
Number of Strands
Outside Circumference
32.82 in
Quality Level
Best
Edited by squonk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Racinbob

Thanks Mike. That looks to be the length I need. :)

Racinbob

I'm a happy camper! As I've mentioned this K-161 spent its life running a pump at the mouse in Florida. I got it from a friend and coworker of @19richie66 Sorry Richie, I don't remember his name. That was about 7-8 years ago. I originally had other plans for it but in any case it had sat for all that time never once starting it. All I knew was that I was told it had an easy life. When I decided to convert it to a battery ignition and start from the mag/recoil setup. I can't tell you how many times my wife would say "you don't even know if it runs" as I was working on it. The same number of times I told replied "I have confidence". Today was the moment of truth. I hopped on and hit the key. I was almost startled how fast it started. I had squirted a bit of oil on top of the piston so, as I knew it would, it smoked some at first. That quickly cleared up and I took it for a drive out back. She was purring like a kitten.  Got back to the garage and tweaked the carb adjustments but they really didn't need it.

2087016185_854EngineSwap100623.thumb.jpg.1cb6fca3081d695a1120bba5ea074b11.jpg

As I was redoing the oil drain I noticed there was a bit of crud on the bottom of the pan. For that reason I decided to drain the 15 minute old oil. You can tell by the 'old' oil that I'm already well on the way to getting that cleaned out. I've got some paths to trim with the sickle before it goes to bed for the winter. I'll give it another oil change after I do that.

1494996779_854EngineSwapOil.jpg.b787a2201bceee86231a6e2fcea6b2a0.jpg

@squonk I went to NAPA to get the belt you suggested. They didn't have one in stock but they did have a 7315 which is in between the too tight 7312 and the 7320. I gave it a shot knowing I could return it if needed. You can see where the adjustment is. You guys with small block starter/gen Kohlers you can use either the 7315 or 7320 and be fine. 

I can't decide if I want to put 754 decals on it. I used the original 181 tins on it because the red matched better and the 161 shroud has the threaded holes for the recoil starter. With the 181 riveted spec plate nobody would ever know. Can't even measure the piston since they are the same. The only difference I see is that the 181 has a quarter inch longer stroke that the 161.

All that's left is to find the muffler I want on it. 

:D

• Excellent 1