Pullstart

The big and small of it…

D_Mac
2 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Found these at the swap meet here in Portage, WI today.  A 3/4 hp Briggs kick start engine and a 3 cylinder marine engine.  

Me thinks a kick start Suburban is in order!  The big one?  It was just too good a deal to drive away :lol:

E8ABB596-DCFB-4172-8DF3-A58B371FB619.jpeg

A Wheel Horse boat in the making?

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Wheel-N-It

Kevin, I don't know which one I like more?!?!?!  Good stuff right there :handgestures-thumbupright:

Tell us more about the marine engine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
11 minutes ago, Wheel-N-It said:

Kevin, I don't know which one I like more?!?!?!  Good stuff right there :handgestures-thumbupright:

Tell us more about the marine engine.

I can tell you that I don’t have a ton into it.  It was a gen set.  It has compression.  It’s got a belt driven governor.  It’s pretty sweet.  It looks to be somewhat valuable!

9FFE666F-4C64-4C3A-981D-60C66F8381FC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

Wheel-N-It

Awesome score Brother !!!

• Like 1

Lee1977

The Briggs is a washing  machine engine. If you are ever looking for the oil drain plug, it's under the fill cap..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

oldlineman

When I was a kid, I had one of those washing machine motors, that I got from my grandfather mounted on a homemade go-kart, direct belt drive. jack it up or push to start and leterrip. The things we did when we were young and dumb.Bob

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 3
  • Heart 2

wallfish
15 hours ago, Pullstart said:

It was just too good a deal to drive away :lol:

Ha. Never know what you need until you see it! Impulse buying at the engine shows is fun stuff. Nice score

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, oldlineman said:

young and dumb

I'm still there. Just not so young.  :P

44 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Never know what you need until you see it!

Absolutely agreed!!

15 hours ago, Pullstart said:

a 3 cylinder marine engine.

That's the right color too. 

Excellent score.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 2

Treepep

@Pullstart.  What year would that briggs kicker be? Like.. pre war era 40's?  Both are quite interesting.. Whratt boat would definitely be a challenge.  :D 

• Like 4

Pullstart
12 minutes ago, Treepep said:

@Pullstart.  What year would that briggs kicker be? Like.. pre war era 40's?  Both are quite interesting.. Whratt boat would definitely be a challenge.  :D 

I have no idea what year it is.  No spark, and I need to pop the flywheel off to clean the points.  For now, it’s worth what I paid in my mind just to look at it :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 5
  • Heart 2

wallfish

Those kick start engines are good stuff. I was looking at some different engines with them and trying to figure out how to adapt a kick start mechanism to the WH bike.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Sailman

I have a 27 HP Westerbeke marine engine in one of my 35 ft sailboats. You will notice it has a "closed" cooling system with a heat exchanger that circulates anti freeze through the engine. The raw water (sea water) is pulled through an impeller and circulated through the heat exchanger to cool the antifreeze. Great thing about Westerbeke is they used a variety of different manufacturers parts and many are still available from larger marine supply stores. Being a gas engine, they are less desirable on boats and need a dedicated ventilation system for the engine compartment. Could have good resale on e-bay for someone needing a replacement or for parts.

Edited by Sailman
  • Like 4

ebinmaine

@ClassicTractorProfessor Bryce has a couple few of those old Briggs.   

• Like 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, Sailman said:

I have a 27 HP Westerbeke marine engine in one of my 35 ft sailboats. You will notice it has a "closed" cooling system with a heat exchanger that circulates anti freeze through the engine. The raw water (sea water) is pulled through an impeller and circulated through the heat exchanger to cool the antifreeze. Great thing about Westerbeke is they used a variety of different manufacturers parts and many are still available from larger marine supply stores. Being a gas engine, they are less desirable on boats and need a dedicated ventilation system for the engine compartment. Could have good resale on e-bay for someone needing a replacement or for parts.

@Shynon mentioned last night I should run it as my pool heater!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Handy Don
3 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

@Shynon mentioned last night I should run it as my pool heater!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Generator and pool heater? Sure!

Then all you need is a PowerWall or equivalent battery bank.

• Like 1

Pullstart
3 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Generator and pool heater? 

the gen set was removed, so it’s just the engine now.  I wouldn’t mind using the pool as a test stand to see if it’ll run though!  

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It
5 hours ago, wallfish said:

Those kick start engines are good stuff. I was looking at some different engines with them and trying to figure out how to adapt a kick start mechanism to the WH bike.

John, back when i was about 11 or 12 years old and riding Sears Mini Bikes, there was a company that produced a kickstarter to put on our flathead minibike engines. There is a company making them now for honda and honda clone engines. Maybe its adaptable, I dont know. Anyway check out ebay., its called a Recoil Eliminator

Edited by Wheel-N-It
  • Like 2

Handy Don
3 hours ago, Pullstart said:

the gen set was removed, so it’s just the engine now.  I wouldn’t mind using the pool as a test stand to see if it’ll run though!  

Won’t need anything that big just for testing. 55 gal drum ⅔ full of water will do it. Exchanger-cooled engines I’ve touched have both been installed with the cooling loop below the waterline with thru-hull cutoff valves so I have no idea if their water-side pump can self-prime.

Surely, too, you can scrounge up a 15 or 20K generator that needs an engine, right?

Sailman

Try to find a model plate on the westerbeke. Lots of online resources to find a parts manual. Make sure the hoses for the closed system are good and add some water. There should be a hose going to the impeller to pull fresh water. Stick that hose into some water. If it doesn't pull water and spit it out the exhaust you may have to pull the impeller housing to see if it needs replacing. Impellers are the most common wear part. A marine engine could be run for a few minutes without coolant. I have seen a few run longer than that!

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
48 minutes ago, Sailman said:

Try to find a model plate on the westerbeke. Lots of online resources to find a parts manual. Make sure the hoses for the closed system are good and add some water. There should be a hose going to the impeller to pull fresh water. Stick that hose into some water. If it doesn't pull water and spit it out the exhaust you may have to pull the impeller housing to see if it needs replacing. Impellers are the most common wear part. A marine engine could be run for a few minutes without coolant. I have seen a few run longer than that!

It did come with a printed manual in a Manila folder too.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Excellent 1

formariz

Years ago as I hurt my shoulder trying to start a stubborn engine I thought about adding a kick start to it . Just like a motorcycle. I just don’t think that they fold like a motorcycle’s ? It sure will be a lot easier than a tired hurt shoulder or a broken cord. 

• Like 1

Pullstart

I’ll have to change my name to Kickstart!  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

ML3
On 7/7/2023 at 5:01 PM, Pullstart said:

Found these at the swap meet here in Portage, WI today.  A 3/4 hp Briggs kick start engine and a 3 cylinder marine engine.  

Me thinks a kick start Suburban is in order!  The big one?  It was just too good a deal to drive away :lol:

D8E44253-839C-4920-AC55-92B55D195405.jpeg

F0707260-75A7-4C46-8635-0F5DEEEC889E.jpeg

E8ABB596-DCFB-4172-8DF3-A58B371FB619.jpeg

B2230B6B-A037-4DD3-BD04-0D5DDCCF97B9.jpeg

E29B6EFA-74BA-4AF4-8434-4F3C082E2E8E.jpeg

F8F75A7F-0DBB-4687-AB0D-E99A949F3457.jpeg

8DD34E01-9E8C-4F7B-AE59-80ACB64BD463.jpeg

I like the kickstart idea.......

• Thanks 1

Wheel-N-It
3 hours ago, Pullstart said:

I’ll have to change my name to Kickstart!  :lol:

Dude we were thinking the same thing. Read my post on John's trencher for sale. I posted that before I read this. 

LOL (MIND BLOWN)  :D

• Haha 1