Justcub

16HP Kohler K341

Justcub

Kohler 16hp 341. Brand new carburator on it. Engine starts up and runs for about 4 minutes no problems. Then stalls out and quits once it gets hot. Starts right back up no problems and runs for same amount of time. Repeated over and over every time, but never needs to cool down to start again. Smoke comes out of carb when it quits. Anyone have an ideas why it might be doing this? 

Ed Kennell

Is it running out of fuel?     Clogged vent in fuel tank cap.    Weak fuel pump.   Dirty fuel filter.   Clogged screen in fuel tank fitting.    Carb float setting wrong.

Remove spark plug, then remove the fuel line at the carb.   hold the line in a container while a helper cranks the engine.  You should see a strong spurting fuel supply.

• Like 1

pacer

As @Ed Kennell pointed out it certainly sounds like fuel problem .... I think my 1st thought would be gas cap not venting, next would be filter clogging, next ....??? just have to research all the fuel system???

Jon Paulsen

Smoke comes out the carb or mist/atomized fuel? 

Check your oil and see if it's got more than you expect and/or smells like gas. If you see either of those symptoms you had better stop running it and clean the carb. That happens from a dirty/failed needle valve overflowing the carb and can turn a good engine into a boat anchor PDQ.

I supposed you could get some similar symptoms from a stuck open crank case ventilation valve or excessive blow by (worn out cylinder/rings), but I have not heard of that gassing the oil. 

peter lena

@Justcub  might try running it on a seperate gallon jug of heaavily treated gas . do that to any used engine / tractor I  pick up , entire fuel system is probably loaded with fuel line breakdown / debris . would also drop carb fuel bowl , probably loaded with debris . pete

Lagersolut

Sounds like the fuel pump is pulling sediment into the shut off screen clogging up and starving it of fuel - I'd work from back to front draining the tank checking for junk in the tank - replace the grommet and shut off - new fuel line and filter . Hopefully the unit never seen ethanol gas - stuff breaks down the rubber fuel line will load up the carb with rubber particulates - helped with a K181 couple of months ago PO put a new carburetor last year ( ran great ) couldn't understand it not running this year. Was that bad new owner tossed the new made in china carb got a new one. Every port was clogged even after a 24 hour soak in dip . 

• Like 1

Bill D
15 hours ago, Jon Paulsen said:

Smoke comes out the carb or mist/atomized fuel? 

Check your oil and see if it's got more than you expect and/or smells like gas. If you see either of those symptoms you had better stop running it and clean the carb. That happens from a dirty/failed needle valve overflowing the carb and can turn a good engine into a boat anchor PDQ.

I supposed you could get some similar symptoms from a stuck open crank case ventilation valve or excessive blow by (worn out cylinder/rings), but I have not heard of that gassing the oil. 

If you do have gas in your oil you probably have a bad fuel pump.  If the diaphragm goes bad it will allow gas into the oil.

• Like 1

wheelhorsejoe
On 6/15/2023 at 2:23 PM, Justcub said:

Kohler 16hp 341. Brand new carburator on it. Engine starts up and runs for about 4 minutes no problems. Then stalls out and quits once it gets hot. Starts right back up no problems and runs for same amount of time. Repeated over and over every time, but never needs to cool down to start again. Smoke comes out of carb when it quits. Anyone have an ideas why it might be doing this? 

First of all thanks for all the great info. I changed the condensor and it was working fine [fixed I thought] took it for a riding when I pull into 3rd gear and engaded the pto for snowblower it began to spit and sputter and shut down. I am ready to pull motor and rebuilt it but I don't know if that will fix it. Any input on what it could be?   Thanks I am going to replace fuel pump just in case,where is the best place to buy one or should I go with an electic pump?

953 nut
13 minutes ago, wheelhorsejoe said:

I am going to replace fuel pump just in case,where is the best place to buy one or should I go with an electic pump

I prefer an electric fuel pump. No chance of a bad diaphragm allowing gas to contaminate the engine oil.

What condenser did you use?  The Kohler 230722 Condenser fits all battery ignition single cylinder and twin cylinder from the K-90 to the K-582.  The 235786 condensers are for the magneto equipped Kohler engines only K-161 to K-301

wheelhorsejoe
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

I prefer an electric fuel pump. No chance of a bad diaphragm allowing gas to contaminate the engine oil.

What condenser did you use?  The Kohler 230722 Condenser fits all battery ignition single cylinder and twin cylinder from the K-90 to the K-582.  The 235786 condensers are for the magneto equipped Kohler engines only K-161 to K-301

230722  to napa 701338 , also does and electric fuel pump require a fuel regulator?

Wild Bill 633

The Facet P/N 40104 electric fuel pump has a pressure rating of 1.5-4 PSI and does not require a pressure regulator.

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Before throwing parts at it test your existing fuel pump as mention Ed above. Your really need to work your way from pump to tank.screen 

• Like 2

clueless

Did it start this right after you put the new carb on?

peter lena

@oliver2-44  agree with that , ok see approach , you cant spot fix a fuel issue  , too many areas , to hold debris , usually a long term build up , since doing a total , do over , and replicating it on my other 2 horses , have zero fuel issues , clean fuel tank, new valve , clear fuel rated hose , filter near tank , another near carb , fuel check valve , electric fuel pump , rework carb related linkage , so its smooth / solid , lots of verification at every step . like the car bole low pressure electric pump , wired in a single green LED bulb on dash to verify its working , have zero debris in my filters / carb bowls . been experimenting with STA BIL fuel storage in all my regular gas , for years now , no fuel hose break down , add about an ounce and a half  to all my fill ups . my fuel filters are clean , is that telling you something ? started this experiment , because of the  hi gas $ , use ethanol fuel , and no hose break down / debris , went to ground zero on fuel start , all the crap / fuel hose break down , plugged carb bowl , stopped , using STA BIL in every bit of fuel , noting STABIL  will not break down hoses, been consistently working for me . also went after throttle / choke cable function , spring assist , pete  

• Like 1