squonk

First documented sealed wheel bearing failure

squonk

I still have to mow twice a week. Couple of weeks ago, I noticed that I was missing one of the front wheel caps on my C 160. That should have been a clue. Last week I started hearing a clicking sound but couldn't figure out what it was. This week it got louder. I was fearing that one of the differential bolts fell out or one of the 1533 axle bearings failed. Jacked up the rear and released the hydro and spun everything. Sounded fine. So I moved to the front and as I was jacking it up I thought or that cap that had come off. Went right to that wheel and sure enough. Click clack crunch. Much easier job than tearing a rear axle apart! :helmet: Other bearing and other wheel seem fine. About 2 years old and about 125 hours on it.

IMG_20230529_094424813.jpg.937fe38c08adbf306b5ee217d9fbd689.jpg

Edited by squonk
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

Wheel-N-It

Mike, my father in law who had owned a Texaco service station and repair shop in Newburg N.Y. taught me a long time ago not to trust a sealed bearing. He said if possible always go with a bearing you can manually grease.

I'm happy to know the damage was not in your transmission

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

Did you give it the greasy @peter lena  treatment two years ago?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

ri702bill

As long as the inner race did not sieze and wipe out the spindle - fix it and buy a spare...

• Like 3

lynnmor

If at all possible, buy other than Chinese made.  I had some Chinese junk trailer bearings that were made wrong and failed immediately.

• Like 4

squonk
1 hour ago, ri702bill said:

As long as the inner race did not sieze and wipe out the spindle - fix it and buy a spare...

Bought a box of 10 couple years back. I change the front tires when the snowblower goes on. No mess. And for about $6.00 a bearing I'll keep on keepin on.

1 hour ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I think the bearing failure was due to all the crazy turns he makes in his yard to avoid hitting a metal chicken.

Chickens are in the coop area and little Waldo is inside the hen house! 

IMG_2009.JPG.8325b00ca6ad1e4c446ca27953b4a165.JPG

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

peter lena

@lynnmor can relate to chinese junk bearings , unfortunitly  almost everything is made there now , experience I  had  was bearings mearly pressed into a wheel on eather side , quickly went sloppy . used a 1/2 " lock washer to push against the race / matching washer , as I tightended it up it held that  side to side shucking , making the wheel  better . obviousely  something you should not have to do . regularly snug up / refit movement areas . since doing   a similar  anti side shucking on front wheels , grease , appears to be the fix , solid / smooth , pete

• Like 1

rmaynard

My show tractors all have sealed. Nothing worse that grease all over your nice clean wheels. Workers get greased bearings.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

ri702bill
12 hours ago, rmaynard said:

My show tractors all have sealed. Nothing worse that grease all over your nice clean wheels. Workers get greased bearings.

All my "show" tractors ARE workers!!!

• Like 5