Bill D

Speedi Sleeve

Bill D

The 1994 416H I picked up recently has a badly rusted motion control shaft.  Changing the seal does little to stop the leak as the area where it rides is pitted.  Has anyone used a Speedi Sleeve to fix something like this?  Any advice is appreciated.

squonk

I've used speedie sleeves to fix worn harmonic balancers. It's just a very thin ring of metal you slide on a shaft and use Loctite bearing and sleeve retainer to glue it. They work well but a sleeve that small may be difficult to handle without damaging it

• Like 2

Pullstart

What about an epoxy, and sand it smooth?

ri702bill
2 hours ago, squonk said:

work well but a sleeve that small may be difficult to handle without damaging it

@squonk and @Pullstart - all good points. A lot depends on how far up the shaft the sleeve needs to go. They have one end that is turned inward, like on the harmonic balancer, or outward. They are, as I recall, .0015 thick stainless and are delicate until fully installed. All too easy to collapse them while installing. Also known as a "Seal-Saver".

Pullstart

@Bill D @ri702bill I was thinking ditch the sleeve altogether.  Build up the shaft with epoxy and sand it smooth with Emory strips.

• Like 1

oliver2-44

I use a Speedi  sleeve to repair the worn injector pump shaft on my Oliver tractor. It’s been on their at least 10 probable 15 years now. As mentioned they are thin an take some finess to drive them a distance on a shaft. 
I’ve also filled pitting with JB Weld. But is sure is hard to sand round enough for a seal to seal. 

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1

pfrederi

Used a speedi sleeve on he input shaft of a Sunstrand hydro pump a few years ago no leaks yet

• Like 1

Bill D

Does anyone know what size I need for the motion control shaft on an Eaton?  Looks like 1/2"