Gary S Minnesota

Stripped out Allen drain plug. 1995 520 H

Gary S Minnesota

Yesterday I changed gear lube on the trans axles on my 312-8 and 314-8. Used 1/4” Allen socket with my 1/4” Milwaukee impact driver.  Both drain plugs popped loose very nicely.

Today I decided to tackle the Eaton 11 on the 520 H.  Impact driver would not break the drain plug loose.  After a number of attempts I borrowed my son’s larger impact driver thinking  the plug might need a bit more persuasion.  Big mistake!!!  Now I’m dealing with a stripped Allen bolt/plug.

What do you suggest?  Drilling it out?  Should i be fearful of leaving metal filings in the case or would the draining of the 4 quarts right through that area take any particles with it.  Is it possible to use a suction tube to extract the 10-30W oil that is presently in there??

Thanks for any thoughts you may offer!

Gary in Minnesota.

brians306

Weld a nut to it. postion nut over plug weld through hole in nut to plug.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

Gary S Minnesota

Ahhhh!!!  I never thought of that.  You guys are terrific!   Thank you, Thank you!

• Like 2

brians306
26 minutes ago, Gary S Minnesota said:

Ahhhh!!!  I never thought of that.  You guys are terrific!   Thank you, Thank you!

I use this trick all the time at work. broken manifold bolts whatever. beats the **** out of drilling and tapping.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

cleat

You can basically do the exact same thing by loosening the large oil line from the bottom Right side of the rear end that feeds up to the pump.

One of mine has a stripped out drain plug and that is what I do with it.

374715526_Rearhubspainted1.png.e862fc1e709fbcf9ee1397c5f844bf3f.png

Edited by cleat
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 2

ri702bill
8 hours ago, brians306 said:

Weld a nut to it. postion nut over plug weld through hole in nut to plug.

An added benefit to doing this - the heat from welding helps to loosen the plug!!

My son did this on a 1981 Kawasaki 4 cylinder oil drain plug and just left it that way... The previous owner used a cheater bar on everything to be sure it was "tight".

• Like 2

Pullstart

Often times if you cannot loosen a threaded fitting, you’ll find that you can almost always tighten it.  If your welded nut doesn’t help loosen it, go ahead and try again by cranking a bit to the righty tighty then get after the lefty loosey.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

If you have a set of Torques Male sockets you may be able to drive one into the stripped hex hole.   Milwaukee Shockwave Torx 1 in. L Insert Bit Set Alloy Steel 7 pc

• Like 2

brians306
13 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Often times if you cannot loosen a threaded fitting, you’ll find that you can almost always tighten it.  If your welded nut doesn’t help loosen it, go ahead and try again by cranking a bit to the righty tighty then get after the lefty loosey.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

A trick you can also use on stubborn exhaust pipes in the block..

• Like 2

Gary S Minnesota

Still have issues with the drain plug.  Didn’t have access to a welder so I tried the  Torque Male socket after applying heat to the plug.

Although the Torx was tapped in with a hammer and seemed to be gripping well, it too stripped.

I then tried a “left hand” drill bit.  Unfortunately the drill bit passed all the way through the bolt and the oil started to drip out without the bolt coming loose I then drilled the bolt out and let the oil drain,  Tomorrow I will remove the bolt remnants and probably have to re-tap for another bolt.

I plan to use a magnet to pick up any stray metal filings up in there and then flush with fresh oil (kerosine?) a couple times.

I really don’t feel confident in pulling and dissembling the transmission in order to clean it.

Your thoughts?

SylvanLakeWH

Should work. I'd use diesel to flush and maybe look for a magnetic drain plug as well.

• Like 2

cleat

If it was an 8speed I would agree but being a hydro I would just flush some cheap motor oil through it, either 10w30 or use a thinner grade for flushing then use 10w30 for the final fill.

• Like 1

WHX??

If you have the plug drilled all the way through perhaps an easy out would work. 

• Like 2

peter lena

@c-series don  like those , for a solid short bite , just a hammer for fit, 6 pt socket breaker bar , moves like butter , pete

• Like 2

ineedanother
4 hours ago, peter lena said:

@Gary S Minnesota  https://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-pipe-nipple-extractor-set-93822.html?  LIKE THE SHORT TYPE FOR TIGHT SPOTS , HAMMER TAP IN ,  use a breaker bar for leverage advantage , pete

Great suggestion @peter lena , I would go a step further and use one of these (they're typically 3/8" drive) with an impact socket: https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Reversible-Manual-Impact-Screwdriver/dp/B07FDFP6XT/ref=asc_df_B07FDFP6XT?tag=bngsmtphsnus-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80333185695396&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583932713624304&psc=1

• Excellent 2

Wheel-N-It
4 hours ago, ineedanother said:

Those manual impact drivers work pretty good.  I still have the one I bought when I was 15 years old, it was made in the USA. 

My method of removing a drain plug whenever I am changing the transmission oil for the first time (on an old wheel horse I bought) is to use a tight fitting Allen wrench, and at the same time put a good pair of vise grip pliers on the little bit of threads that are exposed underneath. Then I pull on both of them at the same time. I'm certainly not the best mechanic in the world, but that way of loosening a Wheel Horse drain plug has never failed me.

Edited by Wheel-N-It
  • Excellent 2

Gary S Minnesota

Finally got her done and running smoothly!    As mentioned in my earlier post, I ended up drilling out the old drain plug and then tapping new threads to accept a slightly larger drain plug.  I followed the thread tapping with a small magnet on a telescopic rod which I repeatedly inserted into the new tapped hole until I no longer detected any metal particles or shavings.  That was followed by a thorough flush with diesel fuel before finally installing a new Napa 1410 filter and 1030 oil.

I like Supporter’s mention of a tight fitting Allen wrench and a good Vice Grip.  I think the Allen wrench socket I initially used on the end of my impact drill was not as tight of fit as it could have been.  This slightly loose fit , coupled with the hammering of the impact wrench, likely caused the Allen bolt to strip.  Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions.  I (soon to be 77 yrs young)  find myself learning new tricks everyday!!  And that’s great!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2