Pullstart

Earth Day Planting

Pullstart

Last weekend, Rylee’s boyfriend Henry helped me plant a few trees in the yard.  Three 3’ apple trees and a 6’ red maple were plunked into the front yard.  I knew I needed to protect them soon, but I didn’t get them taken care of soon enough.  They’ll come back, but the deer found them to be a tasty treat!

Today, I caged them and hope to give them the protection they need to thrive.  We kept them near the road per Mrs. P’s request, but far enough from the power lines that they won’t be taken down any time soon at least.

I don’t know the apple type, or if they’ll ever produce.  They were given to me, and grown from grocery store apple seeds.

112F0CD2-28A8-49BB-9B05-5ACDD5EF8D6D.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4

Pullstart

formariz

Unfortunately you are in for long fight with the deer. You will have to make a much wider cage when trees start to grow and branches get to fence. Until they are too tall for them it’s going to take constant attention. Hang some Irish Spring  soap on fence. Keeps them away.

• Like 3

formariz

Not applicable to the trees you just planted but if you intend on planting more the thing to do is get a very small sapling. Plant it and put a “pipe” of perforated PVC of about 4” in diameter by 4 To 6 feet in length over it . Bury it on ground slightly. Tree will grow straight and faster reaching for the light. It will only develop branches once it reaches top of pipe. Such pipe is actually sold specialized for orchard planting and when trunk reaches inside of pipe it will break it. This way you also don’t need a cage around it and control height at which branches come out. 

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

We have two other apple trees very close to these that get some attention, but manage to still thrive.  I just want to give them a fighting chance of establishing themselves before they get snacked on too hard.  Ideally I’d love to plant some just for deer to eat (in moderation of course) where I hunt out back.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

939F4C57-63A9-47FA-9032-41345DEE34B0.jpeg

76178E24-7802-4CD5-88C8-48B18F1159E4.jpeg

• Like 1

Pullstart
1 minute ago, formariz said:

Not applicable to the trees you just planted but if you intend on planting more the thing to do is get a very small sapling. Plant it and put a “pipe” of perforated PVC of about 4” in diameter by 4 To 6 feet in length over it . Bury it on ground slightly. Tree will grow straight and faster reaching for the light. It will only develop branches once it reaches top of pipe. Such pipe is actually sold specialized for orchard planting and when trunk reaches inside of pipe it will break it. This way you also don’t need a cage around it and control height at which branches come out. 

I’ve seen those.  Sounds like something I might be able to build out of some 4” drain tile and precut/zip tie the sides for proper removal once established.  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

formariz
Just now, Pullstart said:

I’ve seen those.  Sounds like something I might be able to build out of some 4” drain tile and precut/zip tie the sides for proper removal once established.  

Yes you can do it that way. It works really well and you will have identically sized trees. The pipe also acts as a bit of a “greenhouse” helping it grow faster along with it wanting to reach light. It gives you always a straight trunk. 

• Excellent 3

Pullstart
23 minutes ago, formariz said:

gives you always a straight trunk. 

I had to tie these to the cage, to train them up a bit.  It would be advantageous to have that happen automatically!

I did recently learn, that Native Americans used to use trees as trail markers.  They would train a sapling down to grow 90 degrees towards their village, clean water, etc.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

You may want to put rat wire around those cages . Deer can get their lips between the wire that you have. Just my:twocents-02cents:

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

Take the cage off in November, call to em, and...

image.jpeg.8289171a0d37b89ee41cb4be91d146d8.jpeg

:ph34r:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

WHX??
5 hours ago, Pullstart said:

, Rylee’s boyfriend Henry

Sounds like a good kid... do I need to put the fear of God in him tho? :)

I've got bunches of big wire hoops when I started trees you need them. 

Wished I woulda known about them newfangled pipes Cas mentioned. 

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH
58 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Something like this oughta work:

I only gots one question boy... Youze like :wh: tractors? Good... Cuz you mess up, you gonna see the underside of one up close and personal... comprendee? :angry-tappingfoot:

(Ok, well, two question...)

• Haha 5

WHX??

I was going the other way Sylvia... as in what are your intentions with my niece... guess I'm just an over protective uncle... :)

You are going to need some more protection Kev .... don't ask me how  I know. :hide:

Them buggers will reach and clean off everything.  

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1

Achto

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, Achto said:

There, fixed it for you @Pullstart...

Wisconsin uncles should rest easy now...

:scared-shocked:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

ri702bill
11 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

I only gots one question boy... Youze like :wh: tractors? Good... Cuz you mess up, you gonna see the underside of one up close and personal... comprendee? :angry-tappingfoot:

We have a friend that runs a local Funeral Home - he is the Embalmist, he and his family live in the rear of the establishment. A ways back i saw him, he was really bumming. concerned that boys were phoning the house to call on his 14 year old daughter - he said he was not ready for that. He asked if I had any fatherly advise.....

I told him "Steve, why not take the boy downstairs to the basement and show him YOUR Power Tools?? If he runs off, it was not meant to be. But, if he sticks around and asks questions, you just may have found your future son-in-law....  "  :lol:

• Excellent 2
  • Haha 1

Sailman
16 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Best advice I got from a buddy was this story;

Boy comes around to take Dad's daughter out for a first date. Dad says "son lets take a ride in my truck". Now this truck is a brand new, fully loaded, awesome bit of truckness...The boy heads to the passenger side and Dad says...."no, you drive". So the terrified boy gets behind the wheel and very carefully takes the truck out on the road. After a short drive with the boy being super careful with the truck, they pull back into the driveway. Dad says to the nervous wreck of a boy...."now you were REAL careful with this new truck 'cus you knew how much it meant to me right?" The boy frantically shakes his head yes. "Well", continues the Dad, "that daughter of mine means a WHOLE LOT MORE to me than this truck. So you just keep that in mind." :eusa-clap:

• Excellent 3
  • Haha 2

The Freightliner Guy
On 4/25/2023 at 12:00 PM, Pullstart said:

We have two other apple trees very close to these that get some attention, but manage to still thrive.  I just want to give them a fighting chance of establishing themselves before they get snacked on too hard.  Ideally I’d love to plant some just for deer to eat (in moderation of course) where I hunt out back.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

939F4C57-63A9-47FA-9032-41345DEE34B0.jpeg

76178E24-7802-4CD5-88C8-48B18F1159E4.jpeg

super late reply but i think your trees are working i do see a deere out there in the field

• Haha 1