morePEdal

416-8 with Onan P216 Engine
The good:
*576 hours
*Nice, clean deck (42”)
*Nice Plow
*Wheel Weights
*Chains
*2nd owner. 1st owner sold the house in 2020 and said he was getting too old so he included it with the house.
*Original receipts and paperwork and manuals.
*Receipt showing tune-up and changing from the deck to the plow in November 2021

The bad:
*The last time it was used was the winter of ‘21/‘22. It is currently set up with the plow.
*Had trouble starting, when it started, it died after 4-5 seconds. He had a portable charger and it helped. We got it running, but when I turned it down to idle, it died. 
*I didn’t get a chance to test drive it because of this.
*One front tire goes flat fast, one rear tire has a slow leak.
*He is going to buy a battery before I look at it again on Friday so I can test drive it.

What do you think is the issue? Is it the battery or fuel system?

Do you have a way to verify what year this is with the ID number and serial number? Also, the ID number of the deck. I’ll upload pictures of the stickers.

*He says his driveway has an incline so snow and ice would pool around his door opening so he got tired of his wheels spinning. He decided to pay for plow service. (Home is big and nice with a lot of land.) He also decided to get a zero-turn mower so that’s why this 416-8 wasn’t used since after winter ‘21/‘22.

He’s asking $500.

CBA12F54-C2E9-4C1A-8FBC-BD061ED2156C.jpeg

283AC64E-2D00-434D-8596-1B2AF8093A81.jpeg

2BB1AC33-2C17-4560-B823-A34B90CB0852.jpeg

A6E99E64-7AE8-4027-83B2-56DBACE18C76.jpeg

Edited by morePEdal
Added info
  • Like 1

Pullstart

I would try to knock a bit more coin off the price, if it doesn’t run well enough for a test drive… however my bet is a fuel system cleaning is definitely in order.  Has it been stored inside it’s whole life?  Other than sun damage to the seat, paint, etc… the transmissions are known to allow water to run down the shifter and add to the oil inside the transmission.  Be sure to check all fluids and levels.  Verify that the front end and steering is tight, has been greased, etc. I don’t know a ton about Onans first hand, but I’d highly recommend removing all cooling tins and cleaning the cylinders and air passages before running it too hard.  Good luck!

• Like 4

Bill D

Buy it.  Try to get a lower price if you can.  Carb cleaning is easy to do.  New fuel lines, fuel tank cleaning with new shut off valve.  Change all fluids and filters and you should be good.

Onans P216 are known for three big failure items, the ignition module, governor flyball spacer failure and burnt 9 pin connectors  All are fixable if you're mechanically inclined, just not cheaply.  I've fixed an Onan governor, not a bad job compared to governor repairs in other engines.  Ignition modules are expensive if needed.

Check the 9 pin connector between the engine and tractor for burnt pins.  Good luck.  Hope you get it.

• Like 2

rmaynard

I'd offer $350 and settle somewhere in between. Carb clean is essential. Battery is probably bad and engine dies when battery dies. Onan 16 hp is a great engine. My 416 has over 1000 hours. Only thing I've ever replaced is rectifier and carburetor. 

• Like 3

morePEdal

I’m also looking at a 312-8 on Friday for the first time. Just the deck. He’s asking $500 as well. I’ll make a decision on Friday for either the 416-8 or the 312-8. The 416-8 is a better deal because of the plow, wheel weights and tire chains…

Any thoughts on a 312-8? I know they are great work horses….

thank you

• Like 2

morePEdal

Also, can anyone tell me, based on my pictures, what year the 416-8 is from?

• Like 2

morePEdal

The 416-8 has been stored inside all its life. It appears the 312-8 has been too.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
48 minutes ago, morePEdal said:

Also, can anyone tell me, based on my pictures, what year the 416-8 is from?

• Like 2

pfrederi

I would go for the 312-8 any day.  Much simpler less troublesome wiring.  Parts are easier cheaper for the engine...

• Like 2

midpack

I can't believe no one said get them both yet! 

• Haha 3

JCM

312-8 is a great tractor for most jobs unless you want to blow snow then a larger engine would be a better option. Good luck with your choice.

• Like 2

morePEdal

I’m only interested in cutting grass and plowing snow. My driveway is pretty short. My preference would be a hydraulic lift, especially for plowing, but my #1 focus is mowing my lawn, which will be fine with a manual lift. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

mrc

i'm with midpack.

buy both. here is why: take a look at the original sticker price on the paperwork.   thousands of $$$!!! 

put the plow on the 312

cut grass with the 416, because more hp to the engine pto

and by having two tractors you do not have to swap attachments. 

plus, if one tractor goes down you have a backup

regards

mike

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ohiofarmer

If I were doing a "will it run?" session on the 416, i would disconnect the fuel line at the fuel pump on the side of the engine shroud and remove all the old fuel from the tank and pump the fresh fuel through the [diaphram] fuel pump. If possible crack the carb bowl loose and get the old gas out. put the fuel supply hose on the pump and the new gas might get through and make a difference. You could also test the thing by removing the air cleaner and dribbling some fuel into the throat.  That onan 16 will have electronic ignigtion and you should not have spark issues. Check the little fuses just in front of the battery on the right side. There is a safety switch for the blade engage lever under there that can corrode from the battery fumes as well. If it cannot run with clean fuel I would go with the other one. If it does, I would buy them both. You could always sell one once you picked the favorite.

i dearly love the C-160-8 and the c-160 auto i have, but i picked up a kohler magnum 314 and it is quite a machine as well. That onan will be pretty thirsty and may seem to use twice as much gas per acre [at least forty percent more to my best guess]  Another onan advantage is the oil filter with pressure lubrication. onans are supposed to be run at full throttle, so keep that in mind as well.

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 2

953 nut
3 hours ago, morePEdal said:

My preference would be a hydraulic lift

:WRS:

:twocents-02cents:            312-8 and 416-8 are both manual transmissions and would not have a hydraulic lift.  The 312-8 is what I would go with if you are not too mechanically inclined since it is running and driving.  :confusion-confused:    The plow, chains and weights on the 416 are worth about $ 300 or more by themselves so it would be hard to turn down.

You could  buy them both, get the 416 running and sell it but by time you put the work into it you will be in love with it so probably would keep both.   :ychain:

• Like 2

morePEdal
36 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:twocents-02cents:            312-8 and 416-8 are both manual transmissions and would not have a hydraulic lift.  The 312-8 is what I would go with if you are not too mechanically inclined since it is running and driving.  :confusion-confused:    The plow, chains and weights on the 416 are worth about $ 300 or more by themselves so it would be hard to turn down.

You could  buy them both, get the 416 running and sell it but by time you put the work into it you will be in love with it so probably would keep both.   :ychain:

I know these two options are manual. My preference would be hydraulic lift. I was looking at a 417A, but it looked beat up and had 800+ hours on it. I’m willing to give one or both of these a shot. 

• Like 1

morePEdal
42 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Also, I’m looking at the 312-8 on Friday. I know it’s been garage kept, but don’t know running status, etc.

• Like 2

morePEdal

I bought the 416-8. Paid $470. The guy that had the 312-8 hurt his back so I couldn’t look at it. Thinking about buying it too…. Maybe.

Thanks for all your help. Now the fun begins: cleaning her up, buying two new inner tubes and getting the fuel system cleaned up, greasing the zirks, etc.

C566D29F-5F2D-4067-AFDE-EBA691CD7575.jpeg

D83443AF-0115-4AD6-972B-8FEEEDC2F8EA.jpeg

9694627D-7F4D-4221-8D6D-6F4BFAB38D19.jpeg

Edited by morePEdal
Included more detail
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1