Pete D

New '73 16 HP owner

Pete D

Greetings from PA.

I'm Pete.  I just bought a 1973 16 HP with an ARK500 front end loader, 48" deck, and scraper.  It needs some TLC, but I'm excited to get going with it.

It needs a battery, choke cable, bearings in one blade tower, and an exhaust leak (2, actually) fixed.  It's pretty greasy, so I'm going to start by degreasing the engine, and then power wash (away from all seals, gaskets, and electrical components.)

I presume this uses points; it's been many years since I've dealt with them, and matchbooks are hard to come by these days.  I don't have a dwell meter any longer, but perhaps I can used a DVOM instead.  Research time.

I attached a photo of the little tractor to this post.

I found the forum searching for information on a 1973 wheel horse.  It was a lucky guess for the year before going to see it and talking to the owner.  He said it was 50 years old, so I took him at his word and found the owners and parts manuals and a wiring diagram.  No model# or model name on it anywhere.

I'll probably be posting at some point, picking your brains for information and suggestions as I start to go through it.

Thanks for the forum!

20230407_184429.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 7

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:

That era  :wh: was under new ownership (AMC I believe) and all model names went away.  They are now considered “no names” but had all the strong features of the models before them.  

So, in essence, the 16 Auto was just like a C-160 Auto, which many consider one of the best Horses built!  It was simple, strong, and simple and strong!  No frills, no fancy electronics, just brute strength.

Edited by Pullstart
  • Like 7

Sparky

:WRS:

From Pennsylvania eh…make sure you find time to go the the Wheel Horse Show in your state this June! 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

IMHO that's one of the best rigs Wheelhorse ever made.  

Looks like it's in decent shape overall.   

33 minutes ago, Pete D said:

start to go through it.

Here's a great checklist we've made up.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

wallfish

That's a real nice find and loaders are typically a hot commodity.

Once you start digging into it ask away with the questions. That's why we are all here.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Pete D

Wow, what an active forum!  Thanks for all of the replies.  I've created a shortcut to the checklist in my Wheel Horse folder.

The battery that came with it is an EU1R, but I presume that any battery that fits and has the posts in the proper configuration will work.  I hope to get something a bit bigger.

I'll know more about it tomorrow.

I also forgot - the parking brake lever does not move, and the brake pedal has a lot of throw, but this was pretty fairly priced at $2500, in my opinion, compared to any other available front end loaders I found.  If I overpaid, c'est las vis!  It will do what I want and need and gives me something (else) to work on.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

953 nut
44 minutes ago, Pete D said:

picking your brains for information and suggestions

:hide:                    That can be rather slim pickins some days!                 :text-yeahthat:        Helping people to keep their Wheel Horses in tip top condition is what we are all about.  This service manual for your engine has good information about setting your ignition timing. The owner's manual wil cone in handy too.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Pete D

Still searching files, I'm geeking out so I can prep for repairs.

2023-04-07 19_50_48-Save As.png

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

Looks like a keeper and the fellas have you covered so I'll just

• Like 3

ebinmaine
21 minutes ago, Pete D said:

fairly priced

You did just fine at that. The loader alone is worth most or all the moolahs you got into it. 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:  Pete.     I am about 30 miles South on 74.

Like Sparky said, plan to attend the big Wheel Horse show in Arendstville  this June.   

If you need parts, you'll find them there.   

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

Nice find!!! :clap:

• Like 3

Pete D
7 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:  Pete.     I am about 30 miles South on 74.

Like Sparky said, plan to attend the big Wheel Horse show in Arendstville  this June.   

If you need parts, you'll find them there.   

I'll be in Costa Rica for 2 weeks in June.  Hopefully the show does not overlap.

I live right on 74, greetings, neighbor!

Edited by Pete D
  • Like 3

Ed Kennell

The show is the weekend after Fathers Day.    Enjoy CR, next to Alaska, that was my most enjoyable cruise.

• Like 4

WHX??

Check this out Pete...now you know how these things trip our hammer. 

• Like 4

Pete D

We are coming back from CR on the Sunday after fathers day, so I guess I'll miss the 2023 show. 

Wow, there are a lot of folks with the front end loader.  I bought this tractor because I had just purchased a Craftsman manual bucket for my riding mower which turned out to be utterly useless.  My wife & I just bought a new home with 2 acres and there are quite a few projects that I will need a bucket for. 

I had no idea that there was such a Wheel Horse following.  I'm sure I will be posting a bunch of commonly asked questions, assuming lack of results from forum searches.  I promise no "what kind of oil should I use" or similar posts. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

WHX??
16 minutes ago, Pete D said:

I had no idea that there was such a Wheel Horse following.  I'm sure I will be posting a bunch of commonly asked questions, assuming lack of results from forum searches.  I promise no "what kind of oil should I use" or similar posts. :D

I didn't either back when i joined  but ask away Pete. Stupid questions are the only ones that don't get asked and ther is certainly a wealth of experience on your tractor here. :)

Bonus sounds like your not a novice to things mechanical... that helps us help you alot. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 3

Pete D

Well, at the risk of being chastised for asking technical questions in an introduction thread (I admin a motorcycle forum, so I have no excuse!), I saw that the 16 HP Kohler takes a Champion RH10C spark plug.  I loathe Champion plugs, preferring NGK. 

Can anyone tell me which of the following non-resistor plugs is the correct cross to the H10C? (I googled, and got a list of supposed crosses.)

NGK 3212
NGK B-6L
NGK B4L
NGK B6L
NGK B6LY

WHX??

Good question & I usually run the chump onions just because they are readily available.  @squonk got a cross? Some guys like the Autolite ones too. 

• Like 2

Pete D

I'm unsure what the trailing Y means for NGK, but I think I can avoid the 4 heat range and go with a 6, or the top one (3212).  At the end of the day, I'd bet they will all work, and I can read the plug to ensure it's running properly.

@WHX?? - I turned wrench (automotive) for a number of years, and I do my own motorcycle work.  I also flip old mowers as a hobby.  It's amazing how many good mowers, blowers, trimmers, edgers (etc) are left at the curb that just need the carb cleaned, blade sharpened, and an oil change, or MAYBE a sheared key.  I have about half a dozen mowers in the garage right now that I've got to work on as soon as I get a workbench setup.

The only thing I'll shy away from is a major manual trans overhaul, like on a bike.  All of the gears, spacers, shift forks, etc intimidate me.

EDIT:  It appears that the NGK 3212 and NGK B6L are the same plug.  Question answered.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/ngk-standard-spark-plug-b-6l-3212/19650315-P

Edited by Pete D
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

gwest_ca

ID plate

Tractor 1973 16hp Auto 1-0440 Serial2 SS.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Pete D

@gwest_ca-(File Mod)

Model#?  Going out to look now

EDIT:

1975?

20230407_214739.jpg

Edited by Pete D

squonk
9 hours ago, Pete D said:

Well, at the risk of being chastised for asking technical questions in an introduction thread (I admin a motorcycle forum, so I have no excuse!), I saw that the 16 HP Kohler takes a Champion RH10C spark plug.  I loathe Champion plugs, preferring NGK. 

Can anyone tell me which of the following non-resistor plugs is the correct cross to the H10C? (I googled, and got a list of supposed crosses.)

NGK 3212
NGK B-6L
NGK B4L
NGK B6L
NGK B6LY

3212 is correct.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1