Mike'sHorseBarn

8362 Ignition Switch Conversion

Mike'sHorseBarn

So the ignition switch on my electro 12 bit the big one. I see oem replacements are $100 so I think it's time to add a solenoid and use a cheaper switch. Has anyone done this before and put the solenoid somewhere it didn't look ridiculous? Pics of your conversions would be appreciated! I put a picture below of the oem switch, crazy what the price is!

s-l400-3.jpg.e2c98107352653f8163b0f04dfb927f8.jpg

20230308_174316.jpg.ff367afabfd01af455b73b14949ae135.jpg

Blasterdad

Not a conversion but this is where they mount from the factory...

FSAE7177.JPG.cfe98e74da718819d8d9142c1b668462.JPGIMG_0264.JPG.0897a903ea5184d73bd9533c7bbfcba4.JPG

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:

I bought a Charger that had been converted to a new style switch and solenoid and it was mounter to one of the flywheel cover 1/4-20 bolts and a sheet metal screw as @Blasterdad has shown. It worked great and the cables were very short.

• Like 2

WHX??

If there is room Mike a mounting plate from small blocks. Goes on the starter mount. You could chop the coiI mount off the top and leave the coil where it is.

I got an extra you want to go that route or would be an easy fab.

20230131_112257.jpg

20230129_191021.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ri702bill

While going thru my 854 8 speed build, I added a solenoid to the starting circuit. I fabbed up a plate to mount it to the far end of the starter / generator.

The solenoid is a low amperage primary device to control a secondary large amperage circuit - doing so takes the high amp load off the keyswitch......

Bill

• Like 1

peter lena

@WHX?? like the idea of eliminating a chronic problem , obviousely if your are a purest , this does not apply , would also add a new wire plug in to that switch , did that to all my switch replacements , and stepped up  / verified  grounding , pete 

Mike'sHorseBarn

@WHX?? I didn't even think of that! I like that idea! I think thats the route I'll go! 

squonk

New solenoid and a nasty cable! :teasing-poke:

20230131_112257.jpg

• Haha 2

ri702bill
2 hours ago, peter lena said:

obviousely if your are a purest , this does not apply

@peter lena - Silly me, I'd rather be a realist riding my dependable tractor with the added solenoid than a purist doing the "Ride of Shame" getting towed when the tractor will not start..... :eusa-dance:

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 1

squonk
2 hours ago, ri702bill said:

@peter lena - Silly me, I'd rather be a realist riding my dependable tractor with the added solenoid than a purist doing the "Ride of Shame" getting towed when the tractor will not start..... :eusa-dance:

I had the ride of shame at the WH show a few years back. A screw loosened  up on my 1267 ignition switch and the wire fell off. I ended up pushing it through one of the parts selling barns past @rmaynard  @wallfish and several others chortling as I was huffing and puffing along! :helmet:

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

rmaynard
37 minutes ago, squonk said:

I had the ride of shame at the WH show a few years back. A screw loosened  up on my 1267 ignition switch and the wire fell off. I ended up pushing it through one of the parts selling barns past @rmaynard  @wallfish and several others chortling as I was huffing and puffing along! :helmet:

Hey, I never chortle, I just :laughing-rolling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

wallfish
2 hours ago, squonk said:

Do you mean stuff like this?

"Man that thing is quiet" "Really sips gas huh?"  "If ya need somebody to fix it for ya let us know!" "It's supposed to be ridden, not pushed"  "Did ya miss your pilates class or something this morning?, Working out today Mike?"

Hmm, think I was just sipping on nice cold drink on that blistering hot humid June day enjoying every part of the show! Oh, and The Big Show too! :D

• Haha 2