WH1618speed

1958 RJ-58 (Kohler) Restoration

Lane Ranger
7 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

@WH1618speed I'm going to jump in your thread as I need some Suburban engine drive pulleys (originally WH 1608 2-1/2" OD x 3/4" ID ) which I think possible were the same ones for the RJ that you need.

So maybe this will help both of us. 

I'm wondering if these cast steel pulleys from Surplus Center could be used. 

Question to ya'll RJ/Suburban guys @WHX?? @Racinbob @Lane Ranger @wallfishand others

Did the WH1608 pulley have a side hub with the set screw in it, or was their no side hub and the set screw was in the bottom of the belt groove?

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Power-Transmission/Pulleys/Finished-Bore-Pulleys/2-45-OD-3-4-Bore-1-Groove-Pulley-1-BK24-C.axd

If there was no side hub am I thinking correctly that the hub on this surplus Center pulley could be machined off and a set screw added to the bottom of the pulley groove?

Note: The Wh pulley is listed as 2.5" OD and this one is listed as 2.45 OD so it would make the tractor a tiny tiny bit slower. 

I have used those Surplus Center pulleys but only as a single pulley for a tractor motor. 

The only issue with that pulley as is is that the shaft of the motor needs to accommodate with 1) RJ belt guard and 2) if you want to mow a second one outside shaft on guard for mower belt.  

Many of the Kohler replacement K91 motors have a former shaft on them that RJ peers are using for restorations. 

image.jpg

Edited by Lane Ranger

oliver2-44
4 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

I have used those Surplus Center pulleys but only as a single pulley for a tractor motor. 

The only issue with that pulley as is is that the shaft of the motor needs to accommodate with 1) RJ belt guard and 2) if you want to mow a second one outside shaft on guard for mower belt.  

Many of the Kohler replacement K91 motors have a former shaft on them that RJ peers are using for restorations. 

image.jpg

@Lane RangerWill a pulley like the red one work and fit through the guard to have one on the outside of the guard to use with an mower or sickle?

Or do you need 2 of the single pulleys like in the bottom of your picture 

WH1618speed

Well, i tried to start the motor yesterday, I grounded the switch wire and replaced and gapped the points to 0.020” still no spark. Is it a magneto issue? I also noticed the compression isn’t that great. I think the motor will end up needing a rebuild. 

Edited by WH1618speed

wallfish
2 hours ago, WH1618speed said:

Well, i tried to start the motor yesterday, I grounded the switch wire and replaced and gapped the points to 0.0020” still no spark. Is it a magneto issue? I also noticed the compression isn’t that great. I think the motor will end up needing a rebuild. 

Do NOT ground the switch wire! That's how it is killed for shutting it off. The switch grounds that wire. If it's grounded it's killing the spark

Disconnect it from anything, just leave it loose for starting it.

Assume you meant to write .020 for the points. A good starting point for that but K91 engines tend to need some adjustment off of that for optimum performance.

6 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Will a pulley like the red one work and fit through the guard to have one on the outside of the guard to use with an mower or sickle?

Or do you need 2 of the single pulleys like in the bottom of your picture 

You need 2 pulleys to put the belt guard on and the outside one to run a deck

The issue with using two HUB style pulleys is you run out of shaft.

If you can't find original style pulleys, for a life hack you can cut the hubs off of commonly found pulleys with a hub and thread a set screw down in the groove. If you can get two hub pulleys on there then you can use those

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WH1618speed

Well I couldn’t help myself. She tried it on for size. Looks pretty good I think! 

IMG_3678.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

WH1618speed

What gear oil is the best for these RJ transmissions? I always used 85w-140 or 80w-90 full syn in my newer tractors but what goes in this?

wallfish

Whatever is on the shelf.

Either one of those will do just fine.

• Like 1

953 nut
23 hours ago, WH1618speed said:

What gear oil is the best for these RJ transmissions? I always used 85w-140 or 80w-90 full syn in my newer tractors but what goes in this?

Having been out in the weather you probably will want to drain and motor oil flush the transaxle at the very least. Depending on what comes out into the drain pan you probably should consider taking the transaxle apart and replacing seals.   :twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

WH1618speed

Thank goodness for perfect tank straps and a not rusted out fuel tank🙌

IMG_3687.jpeg

• Like 1

WH1618speed

Haven’t updated in a while but I tore down the motor. The piston had small dents in the top, intake valve is rusted, and there seems to be an issue with the ignition system. So I went and picked up another K91 for her that will work great. I also picked up some front tires and rims that aren’t rusted through. I should be able to start the process of sanding and paint prepping this week! 

IMG_3962.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WH1618speed

Update: got it down the the frame. If it can come off it’s coming off. I should be able to start paint prep this weekend. I’ve ordered a ton of new parts and it should be coming together soon. 

Edited by WH1618speed
  • Like 1

WH1618speed

Primed the transaxle!

IMG_3983.jpeg

• Excellent 1

WH1618speed

Looking to get new exhaust pipes for the muffler… how long is the pipe from the 90° elbow to the 45° elbow I measured 14”. Im just wanting to make sure that’s right?

WH1618speed

By far this thing I’ve bought for the wheel horse has had the highest price to size ratio lol

IMG_4119.jpeg

• Heart 1

WH1618speed

IMG_4121.jpeg

IMG_4122.jpeg

• Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

WH1618speed

Well we got a sand blaster attachment for our pressure washer. Works pretty good. Beats a wire wheel and die grinder. 

IMG_4167.jpg

IMG_4168.jpg

• Like 1

WH1618speed

IMG_4166.jpg

• Like 2

Handy Don

Interesting blaster. Vendor? Kind and rate of usage for medium?

sjoemie himself

:text-yeahthat:

WH1618speed
23 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Interesting blaster. Vendor? Kind and rate of usage for medium?

I got it from Amazon. $33. Thought it would be cool to try out. We started with concrete sand but it kept getting clogged. Going to try pool sand and play sand to see if that helps. 

• Like 1

WH1618speed

UPDATE: 

I used pool sand in the sandblaster. Much better results. Now priming everything and hopefully I’ll get to paint tomorrow! 

IMG_4300.jpeg

• Like 1

WH1618speed

Well, she is finished! Hasn't been sunny out so no outside pics yet, but this is what I've got!

IMG_4315 Large.jpeg

IMG_4316 Large.jpeg

IMG_4317 Large.jpeg

IMG_4319 Large.jpeg

• Like 1

WH1618speed

IMG_4320 Large.jpeg

IMG_4321 Large.jpeg

IMG_4323 Large.jpeg

• Like 1

WH1618speed

IMG_4325 Large.jpeg