Dan.gerous

One sheet of plywood boat.

Dan.gerous

One of the reasons I have been crazy busy was this little project.

As usual my Christmas is spent at work away from family. We are no longer allowed to drink and the last few have been dire affairs.

The three usual suspects onboard (Me, Captain Ian and Ivan the third mate) decided that this year we would entertain the troops.

The format decided upon was a boat race in Lerwick Harbour on Christmas day. We agreed that to keep costs down the boat would be made out of a sheet of plywood. The engine budget was to be £50.

Lots of discussion and debate ensued and then eventually we brought wood and got on with it.

I started with a bottle of rum and some cardboard one evening and made a model to check my ideas worked.

To be continued.....

20221023_160533.jpg

20221023_160602.jpg

• Excellent 5

Dan.gerous

The next stage was a scale model, which I used to build the boat from.

This also allowed me to play with concepts for artwork on the finished boat.

It's also available to make if anyone wants the file :-)

20221031_063504.jpg

20221031_063522.jpg

20221031_063515.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

Pullstart

I see on the cover page that your boat was the winner!  :greetings-clappingyellow: :greetings-clapyellow: :eusa-clap: from ashore!

• Haha 1

Dan.gerous
Just now, Pullstart said:

I see on the cover page that your boat was the winner!  :greetings-clappingyellow: :greetings-clapyellow: :eusa-clap: from ashore!

Annoyingly I lost - will get to that later!

But I am a firm believer in mind games, this was all part of the buildup - beat them before we even start. I also had custom made coffee mugs for the fanclub.

20221103_130550.jpg

20221103_113746.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Dan.gerous

The scale model was built and then there were no more excuses - let's build this thing!

Weapon of choice was a little Japanese pull saw - this project was almost entirely done by hand.

20221028_192910.jpg

20221029_164431.jpg

20221029_180019.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

What’s your wood thickness?  I wood (pun) guess 8-10mm?  @formariz would enjoy your works!  I have an uncle who began building a 20 something foot canoe out of strips of wood.  It’s nearly finished, then he lost interest and became ill.  Lots of clamps, glue, and patience!

Edited by Pullstart
  • Like 2

Dan.gerous
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

What’s your wood thickness?  I wood (pun) guess 8-10mm?  @formariz would enjoy your works!  I have an uncle who began building a 20 something foot canoe out of strips of wood.  It’s nearly finished, then he lost interest and became ill.  Lots of clamps, glue, and patience!

I opted for 5.5mm plywood, and could have used 3mm for the deck but didn't bother as the weight was within allowances.

Completed boat only weighed 27kg which was quite good.

You can see the calculations on my boat building computer - we worked out that the hull could in theory hold 350kg.

I built another model and using scale weights tested it in the ships galley at 3am. The depth the model sat in the water was incredibly accurate when later compared to the real boat.

This was done due to boredom as the actual boat was at home and I couldn't work on it.

20221102_163210.jpg

20221113_074423.jpg

20221113_235436.jpg

20221113_235558.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Dan.gerous
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

@formariz   Lots of clamps, glue, and patience!

I didn't have many clamps so used screws to hold the awkward  bits - rough, but this was a budget build!

• Like 1

Sailman

Very nice! Puts me in mind of the original Optimist Sailboat. All my kids learned to sail on one.

From Wikipedia;

The Optimist is a small, single-handed sailing dinghy intended for use by young people up to the age of 15. The Optimist was designed in 1947 by American Clark Mills at the request of the Clearwater Florida Optimist service club following a proposal by Major Clifford McKay to offer low-cost sailing for young people. He designed a simple pram that could be built from two 4' x 8' sheets of plywood, and donated the plan to the Optimists.

The Optimist is the biggest youth racing class in the world. As well as the annual world championship the class also has six continental championships, attended by a total of over 850 sailors a year.

Opti.jpg

Edited by Sailman
  • Excellent 1

Dan.gerous
5 hours ago, Sailman said:

Very nice! Puts me in mind of the original Optimist Sailboat. All my kids learned to sail on one.

From Wikipedia;

The Optimist is a small, single-handed sailing dinghy intended for use by young people up to the age of 15. The Optimist was designed in 1947 by American Clark Mills at the request of the Clearwater Florida Optimist service club following a proposal by Major Clifford McKay to offer low-cost sailing for young people. He designed a simple pram that could be built from two 4' x 8' sheets of plywood, and donated the plan to the Optimists.

The Optimist is the biggest youth racing class in the world. As well as the annual world championship the class also has six continental championships, attended by a total of over 850 sailors a year.

Opti.jpg

I used to sail them when we were kids, great tool for learning the trade.

We were lucky enough to grow up with the yacht designer John Spencer in my home town. He designed a little yacht called the "firebug" which was similar to an optimist but far superior at sailing. I briefly had the original one as a teenager. The class never quite took off which is such a shame.

2017-hobart-festival3-small_orig.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Dan.gerous

At this point I decided that style and safety dictated another sheet of ply should be used.

A nice deck to stop water getting in at extreme lean angles  (it saved me from a swim) and then a bit of style with a coaming/wind deflector.

20221031_113411.jpg

20221031_113434.jpg

20221031_142339.jpg

20221031_164716.jpg

20221031_165433.jpg

20221101_153351.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Dan.gerous

Finally found a use for the iron - decided on a rounded wind deflector to make my life as awkward as possible!

That was just over two days work, then it was time to head back to work for two weeks - my baby would have to sit idle until then.

The kids call me "Dazzle" because I'm a bit of a showman  - couldn't resist getting in with my motorcycle helmet on :-)

20221102_120747.jpg

20221102_150348.jpg

20221102_151934.jpg

received_655015606201730.jpeg

20221102_152118.jpg

20221102_152019.jpg

• Excellent 3

Sailman
13 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

I used to sail them when we were kids, great tool for learning the trade.

We were lucky enough to grow up with the yacht designer John Spencer in my home town. He designed a little yacht called the "firebug" which was similar to an optimist but far superior at sailing. I briefly had the original one as a teenager. The class never quite took off which is such a shame.

2017-hobart-festival3-small_orig.jpg

Very interesting. Wouldn't take a lot to sail better than the Opti....:twocents-twocents:

Are you using any of the West System epoxy? I have a wooden charter boat that was built "cold molded". The west System is amazing stuff and easier to work with than fiberglass resins. I use it extensively for repairs on wood and fiberglass boats. You might consider a fiberglass / epoxy coating over the hull.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-yeahthat:

West system is great stuff! Easy to work with both as a coating on wood and as a resin for fiberglass...

• Like 1

Dan.gerous
4 hours ago, Sailman said:

Very interesting. Wouldn't take a lot to sail better than the Opti....:twocents-twocents:

Are you using any of the West System epoxy? I have a wooden charter boat that was built "cold molded". The west System is amazing stuff and easier to work with than fiberglass resins. I use it extensively for repairs on wood and fiberglass boats. You might consider a fiberglass / epoxy coating over the hull.

3 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

:text-yeahthat:

West system is great stuff! Easy to work with both as a coating on wood and as a resin for fiberglass...

I didn't use West System, but more or less the same product. It was my first experience of using epoxy, it's fantastic stuff!

Hull is glassed as you will see soon 👍

• Like 1

Dan.gerous

After getting home from my two weeks bouncing around the North Sea it was time to kick thus project into gear.....

Except we had a two week holiday in France first! It isn't often we have a break so this was a welcome chance to be forced into inactivity.

That said, I brought a saw and spent a few pleasant hours chopping firewood - being a tourist doesn't suit me!

Anyway, we got back to a Scotland and project "SeaBestia" went into top gear.

Temperatures had plummeted into the minuses and I needed at least +5 for the epoxy. After a few trials I eventually sourced and installed a wood burner into the workshop.

The little boat then needed dismantling and rebuilding with epoxy resin and epoxy fillets holding her together instead of cable ties. The process reminded me a lot of welding metal together.

The epoxy fillets were then taped and more epoxy applied for an incredibly strong joint.

Epoxy filler (I used Talcum Powder mixed with the resin, for the filler and the fillets - very nice smell) was applied to fair the hull and cover any holes.

The hull was then flipped over and prepared for a sheet of glass cloth to be applied over the entire surface.

20221118_170442.jpg

20221205_143204.jpg

20221205_165529.jpg

20221207_195023.jpg

20221208_144545.jpg

20221209_112036.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Dan.gerous

This bit was terrifying - laying cloth and then applying resin.

I put it off as long as I could, but eventually it had to be done.

The cloth was laid on the hull then cut to shape. A layer of resin was then applied to the wood and the cloth put onto that, smoothed out and then another layer of resin was forced into the weave with a roller.

You hear lots of horror stories about bubbles etc, but it actually went very well with a perfect finish. It was almost enjoyable and gave the little boat a tough waterproof shell.

20221210_112739.jpg

20221210_112805.jpg

20221210_131638.jpg

20221210_143138.jpg

20221210_163917.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

Nice job! :clap:

Thats not easy to do well!!!

• Thanks 1

Dan.gerous
2 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Nice job! :clap:

Thats not easy to do well!!!

Thanks, it was incredibly nerve wracking, but just taking care with laying out seemed to work. I also used the slow hardener which gives more time to work the material.

Despite all that I read, foam rollers were a bust, they just melted so I ended up using fluffy ones which were excellent!

Very pleased with the results, and the skills learnt in this silly project are invaluable.

Oh, I also found out that if you mix up too much resin it generates so much heat that it goes off in minutes....lesson learnt, and it's expensive stuff (see photo).

20221210_143642.jpg

• Like 2

Dan.gerous

Now that I had a waterproof hull curiosity got the better of me. 

We carried her up into one of the fields and a frozen water trough. After a few minutes work with an axe SeaBestia tasted water for the first time!

Enjoy the video 

https://youtube.com/shorts/rTfnsI2ZRvo?feature=share

20221211_123908.jpg

20221211_124051.jpg

20221211_124203.jpg

Edited by Dan.gerous
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Handy Don
On 2/1/2023 at 1:38 PM, Dan.gerous said:

20221102_152019.jpg

Ingenious using the zip ties and PVC stubs to hold the hull pieces together. My boat builder friend used twists of copper wire on his plywood kayaks--tedious.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Dan.gerous
4 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Ingenious using the zip ties and PVC stubs to hold the hull pieces together. My boat builder friend used twists of copper wire on his plywood kayaks--tedious.

The pvc stubs made an incredible difference, pulled everything into line whereas before I put them in the centreline was quite "wavy".

I think the only advantage to wire would be smaller holes, but you have to fill them anyway so it wasn't a big deal.

• Like 1

Dan.gerous

After sea trials and thawing ourselves out it was time to get the last of the fabrication  and resin work out the way.

The windshield, side decks etc all needed epoxying, filling and taping in preparation for the painting and artwork.

The curved front was a complete nightmare - I should have used thinner plywood but time was getting short so couldn't start again.

All the joints were taped, but again in hindsight I should only have taped the insides and left the outside smooth with epoxy filler.

It was starting to look like a real boat now - quite exciting to see my baby taking shape.

20221211_165641.jpg

20221211_165648.jpg

20221211_165718.jpg

20221211_174655.jpg

20221211_174746.jpg

• Like 3

Dan.gerous

Next up is sanding and painting.

I only had two days left before needing to take the boat to work for the Xmas race. This meant the next part was a bit rushed!

Cheap spray paint was the order of the day, not the best but it would do for now.

I had problems masking up as the paint was a bit soft  - really not the time to be rushing!

20221213_093425.jpg

20221213_121549.jpg

20221213_115751.jpg

20221213_151721.jpg

20221213_135737.jpg

• Like 3