ri702bill

Fun and facts with green greases

ri702bill

All:

A while back, I posted regarding finding a suitable replacement for the almost unobtainable Lucas Green X-Tra HD grease that some (most??) here regard to be the best suited product to keep our WH toys alive....

First off a tip of the WH cap to three members - @peter lena, @Handy Don, and our resident YT guy @Pullstart.......

I recently bought 2 late 1960's gear drive cutting decks - a rather nice 32" and a roached 36". I intend to go thru the 32" with a cleaning, new needle bearings and seals. Here is the opportunity to do a side-by-side comparison of the two grease products run under the same conditions and evaluated.

Per Pete Lena's advise. I cleaned out the 2 cross shaft bearings, one repacked with Lucas Green, the other with JD Green.

I will be trading some deck parts with Don shortly to make the deck complete.

I will assemble each side with it's respective grease - bearings, gears, spindles. I intend to gather "before" pictures and free running torque readings, then in MAY or so, mount this unit on a Round Hood , cut the grass, and take temperature readings and repeat the free running torque.

There will only be data presented, NO YT video, Unless Kevin wishes to reinact this exercise and make his own, best done with cardboard cutouts and hand sock puppets !!!

All in fun there guys, just figured why not use one of my own toys for this study. More later, a lot later....

Wheel-Horse-Logo-Embroidered-Solid-or-Mesh-Hat-_1.jpg

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

oliver2-44

Interesting idea, how do you intend to measure the torque readings?

Ed Kennell
4 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Interesting idea, how do you intend to measure the torque readings?

He could strain gage the shafts for torque, radial and axial thrust.    Bring the signals out with a telemetry system.  Easy Peasy.

• Haha 3

ri702bill

I have an inch pound torque wrench - there is a hexnut at either of the #40 cross shaft.Disconnect the #93 double lower belts, remove the blade and drive cup from one spindle and push the shaft and key up thru the spur gear. Remove the spur gear, spin the cross shaft with the torque wrench - it has the movable taletale that stays at the highest reading. Reassemble, repeat for the other side.  Not easy, just peasy....... and a tad greasy.

image.png.e623e91eb3d3a3bada4d00b47451a48f.png

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 2

ri702bill
3 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

He could strain gage the shafts for torque, radial and axial thrust.    Bring the signals out with a telemetry system.  Easy Peasy.

Almost hit it dead on with that method - we had the big buck toys in the Test Lab at my last job... 

• Like 1

peter lena

@ri702bill like the idea of that , from what I  have seen , you could also measure the  wear and tear on the pto clutch face , the collective screaming drag on a clutch face is giving you a sound version of  overall effort . every rotational  part of any set up , has to be free and easy spinning . you can't leave out any part of it . as I  changed  lubricants , the effort and noise stopped . have a lot of collective time and experimentation on my  set up , wish you luck with your  testing . also detail in the pto lever set up , collective drag , is the sled you are trying to  make easy . pete

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Gonna just ask...

Is there not a RED grease that meets the @peter lena standards? :confusion-confused:

I mean, green... really? :scared-eek:

:coffee: Looking forward to the results... 

• Haha 1

peter lena

@SylvanLakeWH   lucas marine  grease is at wall mart , easily meets the  green grease  standards . the hi temp standards is your  drag  salvation , eliminate as many areas as you can . pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1