rmaynard

Electric Fuel Pump for Onan P216

rmaynard

I'm thinking of putting an electric fuel pump on my 416-H. Has anyone had any experience with one of these?

Screenshot_20230128-083009.png.9c26fc8fa1ac6c19ace6bfadc7bab584.png

953 nut

If you get a good one it will last a long time as one of mine has, the others gave up in less than a year and you are never near the barn when that happens.

I have had good results with these over the past five years.

Picture 1 of 10

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

rmaynard

Thanks Dick. The only reason that I suggested the one in my post is that my brother has used these on his Cub Cadets with success. 

All opinions welcomed.

• Like 1

WHX??

Used the same one on a customer's Cub ZT. Worked great and he didn't come back to complain so :confusion-shrug:

• Like 2

squonk

Carbole and Facet same pump with a different tag. It's what I use. I have seen the all metal round ones fail a lot.

pacer

I started out using that 'type' with good luck, but on about the3rd/4th one it failed too quick, tried another with quick failure so I switched to the type shown or this type---- had no more early failures...

Picture 2 of 12

pacer

Something to consider in using an electric pump on an Onan.....

I had the B43m Onan and was having some crappy running conditions and I tried adding a lectric pump chasing the problem. I immediately had the carbs needle not holding and getting flooding, tried another 'Facet' type with same results, ended up using a new pulse pump which the Onan came with. (Problem turned out to be Ignition related)

Now, as mentioned this was the B43 Onan and the P's may not be as sensitive, but if you go the lectric route, be sure and get a low pressure one (Ive never had a problem with the lectrics flooding on any Kohler)

• Like 1

peter lena

@rmaynard  agree with @953 nut  on the pump, years now , no problems , added an LED dash light to verify  on operation , comes on with key switch , also a good opportunity to add a vertical  evil energy  fuel check valve , constantly works and holds fuel from pump to carb , making for  quick starts , pete 

rmaynard

Thanks for all the good information.

lynnmor
8 hours ago, pacer said:

Something to consider in using an electric pump on an Onan.....

I had the B43m Onan and was having some crappy running conditions and I tried adding a lectric pump chasing the problem. I immediately had the carbs needle not holding and getting flooding, tried another 'Facet' type with same results, ended up using a new pulse pump which the Onan came with. (Problem turned out to be Ignition related)

Now, as mentioned this was the B43 Onan and the P's may not be as sensitive, but if you go the lectric route, be sure and get a low pressure one (Ive never had a problem with the lectrics flooding on any Kohler)

Your B43m probably had a fuel pump integral with the carburetor, all bets are off when adding a second fuel pump.  Th Performer series have a separate pulse type of fuel pump.

kpinnc
12 hours ago, 953 nut said:

I have had good results with these over the past five years.

Got a link by chance? I have a Facet, but $70 each is a bit steep.

• Like 1

RED-Z06

Ive removed quite a few electric pumps off customer mowers to return to or add-on a pulse type pump, common problems are lifespan...if you arent spending $60+ on a pump it may not last long.  Going over bumps can cause momentary flooding/sputtering..because of the constant pressure and higher flow behind the seat...if the float drops it can rapidly overfill the bowl for a few moments.  Most onans have a 20a charging system but some mowers only have 3a to 5a charging systems..the 2 to 2.5amp draw can be taxing on some mowers.  

Ive never had any problems with pulse pumps myself, ive added many to swapped engines and they have always performed well for me...you dont even really think about them because they just work.  The original 1993 pump on my 416-H failed in 2020...started dripping out the vent indicating the dry side of the pump was wet.  $25 pump and 2 minutes..back in business.  If i run it dry by mistake its generally fires up in 8 seconds of cranking...nothing excessive.

Oddly though..ive had 5 FD kawasakis that had a factory electric pump and never had any problems out of those..im not sure if they are just designed to work with the pump they have...but they work well.

953 nut
9 hours ago, kpinnc said:

:techie-ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254470209464

pfrederi
10 hours ago, kpinnc said:

Look other places for Facet.  Last one I bought still made in USA. Do not think Carbole are made here

pump.JPG

• Like 1

pacer
14 hours ago, lynnmor said:

B43m probably had a fuel pump integral with the carburetor

My 2 B43's did not have the integral pump, and the particular parts manual I had showed the external pump mounted on the air shroud. ! didnt even know there was an integral type til I started prowling the bay and saw them. The plate was on the carbs, but it served no function.

I've never had one of the P series Onans, but that 43 was VERY picky in tuning - carb just right, points very picky on setting, etc, but when that thing was dialed in just right it was a beautiful thing!!

RED-Z06
38 minutes ago, pacer said:

My 2 B43's did not have the integral pump, and the particular parts manual I had showed the external pump mounted on the air shroud. ! didnt even know there was an integral type til I started prowling the bay and saw them. The plate was on the carbs, but it served no function.

I've never had one of the P series Onans, but that 43 was VERY picky in tuning - carb just right, points very picky on setting, etc, but when that thing was dialed in just right it was a beautiful thing!!

If you want to see a bad carb, look for the accelerator pump carb they used on some P series, it deleted the adjustable Idle bleed screw and replaced it with a diaphragm that on acceleration squinted fuel into the carb.  Meant they ran lean as hell and the squirt kept it from bogging out.

lynnmor
7 minutes ago, RED-Z06 said:

If you want to see a bad carb, look for the accelerator pump carb they used on some P series, it deleted the adjustable Idle bleed screw and replaced it with a diaphragm that on acceleration squinted fuel into the carb.  Meant they ran lean as hell and the squirt kept it from bogging out.

Wheel Horse only used them in the last year or so of production, thank the EPA for that nonsense. The best fix is to find an older carburetor and rebuild it.

RED-Z06
10 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Wheel Horse only used them in the last year or so of production, thank the EPA for that nonsense. The best fix is to find an older carburetor and rebuild it.

Whats funny is, Kohler had to go to a pumper carb on Command Twins because they had such an awful off-idle bog...and those carbs fixed the problem and ran like tops.  The onans didn't like it.  I wish my onans had an adjustable main...ive made adjustable mains for a few engines but never for an onan.