Sign in to follow this  
TractorEd

Taillight Wire Routing

TractorEd

I’m trying to determine the routing that was originally used on the taillights of a rear gas tank mounted model with 2 taillights.  Or advice on how others have routed it from the taillights to the 3-way connector in the cavity below the fender/seat pan.

I’ve never seen this tractor put together.

The most obvious routes for the positive leads would lay against the plastic gas tank in the rear; either across the top of it or against the sides/corners.

Also, the parts diagram shows the ground wire going from one taillight to the other and then runs to a ring terminal, but not sure where that ran to either.

Pics?

I’m working on a ‘79 C-161 but it could be just about any model/year rear tank Horse with dual taillights.

Thanks, Ed

Edited by TractorEd
  • Like 1

Blasterdad

Mine just lay on top of the tank & plug into the connector, you can see it next to the dipstick in the pic.

You can ground it pretty much anywhere...

IMG_0451.JPG.46bb8ad59b0795f5e78ea5bf963777ff.JPG

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

TractorEd
1 minute ago, Blasterdad said:

Mine just lay on top of the tank & plug into the connector, you can see it next to the dipstick in the pic.

You can ground it pretty much anywhere...

IMG_0451.JPG.46bb8ad59b0795f5e78ea5bf963777ff.JPG

Thank you for the info, Blasterdad.

• Like 2

peter lena

@TractorEd  used  TYE WRAP  STICK ON MOUNTS ,  and spiral wire wrap , also did a reroute  of original  wire set up . also enhance  engine grounding , for related   electrical connections . verify as you set it up for function , original ground area s typically  rust /  paint make for  trouble spots , pete

• Like 1

TractorEd
53 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@TractorEd  used  TYE WRAP  STICK ON MOUNTS ,  and spiral wire wrap , also did a reroute  of original  wire set up . also enhance  engine grounding , for related   electrical connections . verify as you set it up for function , original ground area s typically  rust /  paint make for  trouble spots , pete

Thanks for the info!  I’d like to see how you routed it.  I may do the same.

• Like 1

peter lena

@TractorEd  ED  typically  when I  do over any wire set up , l eliminate  tight stressed wiring , chafed areas , set up a  out of the way  area. the wire wrap contains it / protects it , those tye wrap mounts like any clean paint . the added grounding is basically  an added ground cable from battery ground bolt point to frame / engine corner , that insures any related connections to engine are grounded , also on to head lights , a few other  improvements  I  have also added .  note 4 th picture down , yellow electrical lug from rectifier base to headlights . solid bright , because the block is grounded to frame , springs  assist choke and throttle cables , to close . use SUPER LUBE OIL in those cables , smooth / easy . ideas that work , lots of hours , and no failures , pete

• Thanks 1

c-series don

I believe from the factory there’s one wire that runs over the top of the gas tank and the lights are grounded through the fender pan. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TractorEd
15 hours ago, c-series don said:

I believe from the factory there’s one wire that runs over the top of the gas tank and the lights are grounded through the fender pan. 

Thank you c-series don!

• Like 2

peter lena

@TractorEd  regularly  use  https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=mechanical+electrical+lugs&id=46B5B352C3AA85C1343D901346F975C312472B68&form=IQFRBA&first=1&disoverlay=1  only as a type of  connection for reference , but you can easily add to it . would be in the contractor section , especially  good  in a new grounding  layout . easy access  / addition . also regularly go after any , repetitive  issue areas .  example , linkage function areas , fuel issues , charging , starting ,TAKE ADVANTAGE OF A FAILURE  , can you make  it  act up anytime ?  thats how I  go after any issue . but then I  will also  detail it in for function / operation . every one of my chronic problems , is now a strong point , eliminate / improve every stage . this is only my view of  problem solving . make it reliable , pete    

• Thanks 1

TractorEd

@Blasterdad @peter lena @c-series don

Appreciate all your help!

I don’t like running these wires on top of the fuel tank, but that’s the best route to take so I’m going to. 😀

But I’ve just ordered some of this fire retardant and abrasion resistant sleeve material that I’ll run the wire through.

PET Expandable Braided Sleeving 100Ft-1/8 inch Wire Loom, Aibole Braided Cable Sleeve Wire Wrap,Black&Red https://a.co/d/8N3rcF8

I really appreciate all the feedback!

Thanks again,

Ed

Edited by TractorEd
Spelling correction
  • Like 4

c-series don

@TractorEdPlease keep us updated with your progress. 

• Like 1

TractorEd
7 hours ago, c-series don said:

@TractorEdPlease keep us updated with your progress. 

@c-series don

You prompted me to create a thread just for that purpose.

Your collection is awe inspiring!  Really incredible looking machines!

• Like 1

c-series don

@TractorEd Thanks Ed, I’ve added a few more to my collection since I last took a group photo! This summer I hope to take them all out for a new photo. 

• Excellent 1