ri702bill

Possible short term Substitute for Lucas Polyurea Grease

sjoemie himself
2 hours ago, ri702bill said:

- replacement

- readily available

- reasonably priced

In current times that's probably gonna be a 'pick two of the three' situation.

peter lena

@ri702bill   ever wonder why  so many members  burn out their pto clutches ?  the incredible  collective  drag  in a  belt pulley / set up , with all  10  involved bearings  is   showing you what's going on .  that was only my own experience .  kind  of like  dragging a stone sled .  pete    

• Like 1

Digger 66
6 hours ago, ri702bill said:

@Digger 66 They must be very proud of their products - pricey.

The three criteria I referred to were that it has to be a replacement , readily available and reasonably priced.

Sorry

• Like 2

WHX??
1 hour ago, Digger 66 said:

Sorry

Don't be Digger ... I would use that on snowmobile clutch work damn the price. One tube would go a long ways. 

• Like 2

Charbs152

i just use grease, usually the red stuff but ill use whatever they sell. theres nothing on these tractors that requires special grease

Edited by Charbs152
  • Like 3

Sailman

Just found the Lucas X-tra Heavy Duty "green" grease at O'reilly Auto Parts yesterday. Not cheap at $9 a tube but they had several tubes. Might be coming back at other stores.

scWHhauler

I dont know guys; Lucas Red & Tacky seams to work good for me, plus its red. I will have that Beer too

• Like 2

peter lena

@ri702bill  that lucas marine grease will easily take its place , and often available , the sound of a driven unit , will tell you  what's going on , whining bearings  are usually lubrication failure . again its the collective failure and drag on all bearings that is  the problem . those mule drive bearings have a very high side lode failure rate . obviousely you can use whatever you want , from what I  have seen on mower deck issues , its a wonder they spin at all . also that screaming clutch unit , is talking to you about bearing drag . my neighbor  has a real beauty , rusty , frozen linkage , not a clue . prefer to eliminate a problem , pete

ri702bill

@peter lena I am still going on doing my grease comparison - just because...

peter lena

@ri702bill  -7 this am . no problem , let me know what you find , pot bellied wood stove , pete 

ri702bill

@peter lena A small delay here - I ordered a replacement cross shaft - the original had multiple areas of damage - still fixable, not worth my time and effort when a NOS part is still available. a PO had run into something and bent the right front corner of the deck in so badly that the tip of the right blade hit it and gouged a gashed hole thru it. The woodruff keyway for the side gear was wallowed out badly, the key sheared, and the shaft bent away about .010 TIR at the bearing and had twisted about 10 degrees out of position. The crappy 36" parts deck has a cross shaft I could cut a section off, machine it to be a press fit and weld it to the shorteded 32" one, but that is a last resort... It should arrive next week. ironically, the gears and spindles look to be just fine..... along with the cast iron housing plate. If that part was cracked, i would have walked away from it.....

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 1