ri702bill

Possible short term Substitute for Lucas Polyurea Grease

ri702bill

All:

We are all well aware the our beloved Lucas X-tra Heavy Duty Green Polyurea Grease is no longer readily available unless you are willing to pay a scalping premium for it.

I conferred with our local Grease Guru, @peter lena, aka Slippery Pete on what I found as a possible short term substitute, although it it is not the exact formulation. He agrees it is NOT the same - not surprized as both are manufactured by separate companies to the specification given them by the seller.

OK - here goes - don't kill me, Im just the messenger......

Seems the John Deere sells their version of a green Polyurea premium grease that is readily available and "reasonably" priced. The larger quantity ordered, the better the price.

I took pictures of both the products and the labeling for comparison.

By its makeup, polyurea grease does not play well with lithium based greases - the spec sheets for both say so. They do play well with each other though since they share the same base.

They do both carry the highest Lubrication and Grease Institute rating - both are premium greases. The difference is in the working temperature ranges - the Dropping Point for the Lucas is 580 degrees F, the John Deere TY6341 is 380 degrees F. Both would be fine, in my opinion, for low speed applications like front axle pivot and slindles, along with lower steering components.

My only area of concern is the high RPM bearings on cutting deck spindles and snowblower augers. I recall the slindles being warm after use in July, but not to the point of sizzle and fizzle when washed down.

I actually called John Deere's Tech Support 800 number to ask if there were any Technical Service Bulletins issued specifying where their Polyurea grease should not be used. (Got nowhere on that - got shuffled over to a Customer Service Rep - explained my request - she offered no direct answers but two choices. I could ask the large regional JD service dealer for their opinion, or get this - fill out an email request on the main website for Tech Support and they would contact me AFTER I gave a credit card number - they charge for their Tech Support. No - I did not persue that.

Yes, I know there those amongst us that would rather undure the thrill of either gargling double edged razor blades or being the recipient of a crushed glass enema before they consider using a JD product on their Wheel Horses. Your options are few:

1. Pay the scalper price for Lucas

2. Park your Ponies until Chemtool rebuilds after the fire and gets back into production.(IF they do continue to produce this product)

3. Do nothing - no more grease, just run them.

4, Dis-assemble all the greased components, flush them, switch over to a Lithium based grease.

5. Try a tube to grease your Mother-in-law's tractor. :D

All jokes aside - if anyone can offer another worthy substitute, please add it to this post.

Bill

Pictures...

P1010175.JPG

P1010176.JPG

P1010178.JPG

P1010179.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

WHX??

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the slippery one ...what's wrong with the off the shelf farm & barn grease? 

20230114_092254.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

ri702bill

@WHX?? - Jim, are either one of the Polyurea based?? I am looking for a compatible substitute. I got on the Mystik website - seems they do not offer a Polyurea based grease in their lineup......

Edited by ri702bill

ri702bill
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the slippery one

You are on your own now - no Wingman....

Edited by ri702bill

Racinbob
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the slippery one ...what's wrong with the off the shelf farm & barn grease? 

I'll be your wingman Jim. I've never had any issues with what I use. I'll stick with Valvoline products but there's plenty of other good stuff out there. :)

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

peter lena

@ri702bill  no flogging needed , from what  I  have seen  , if any engine driven part , attachment , does not have  a hi temp  recovering grease , it will tell you, with a whining  groaning  song . green color  , is not the spec  of a grease , lots of substitutes out there, to grab a sale . also regularly  check out  auto parts  for their grease supply , still think a multiple shared order  is the way to go  on pricing . also clean out existing beargrease , before  Lucas  X-HD  . any bearing that  gets hot , and  angularly stressed , mule drive /  spindle bearings , needs a lubricant that will live in that zone . pto cone bearings , none of mine make any noise , and spin up without effort , deck I sold to a guy , was stunned at its ease of movement , isn't that what you want ?  anything I  suggest  is what I use / do ,  have many hours  /  years on it .  don't have to win  ,  make the problem go away  , thats what I do ,  pete    

peter lena

@ri702bill  that polyurea  rating is also vital to the  pto cone needle bearing , minimal grease that will not sling off onto the clutch face , pete

ri702bill
10 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@ri702bill  no flogging needed , from what  I  have seen  , if any engine driven part , attachment , does not have  a hi temp  recovering grease , it will tell you, with a whining  groaning  song . green color  , is not the spec  of a grease , lots of substitutes out there, to grab a sale . also regularly  check out  auto parts  for their grease supply , still think a multiple shared order  is the way to go  on pricing . also clean out existing beargrease , before  Lucas  X-HD  . any bearing that  gets hot , and  angularly stressed , mule drive /  spindle bearings , needs a lubricant that will live in that zone . pto cone bearings , none of mine make any noise , and spin up without effort , deck I sold to a guy , was stunned at its ease of movement , isn't that what you want ?  anything I  suggest  is what I use / do ,  have many hours  /  years on it .  don't have to win  ,  make the problem go away  , thats what I do ,  pete    

I forgot about the mule drive bearings - ditto on the cone PTO (probably a more severe higher temp application)....

Maybe Lucas the toasty ones, JD the rest...??

Edited by ri702bill

peter lena

@ri702bill   that would work  ,  use the  hi temp on  hi speed  bearings , j/d  would work on the rest .  initially  when I started on my  deck bearings , was not until  I  looked at every related bearing that I  make the total  changeover . thats why I  regularly  refer to it , that entire set up  can and should  spin up with ease , no screaming / smoking clutch , no  noisy deck ,  pto lever set up , solid / smooth .  probably have very similar stuff  as you , once changed / proven  ,  have it on my 3 units , pete   

• Excellent 1

Racinbob
9 minutes ago, squonk said:

We ain't greasing the space shuttle here. Use a good quality grease. sit back and have a beer! 

Exactly. I've had no issues in over 6 decades with what I use. Keeping things lubricated is 99% of it.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

ri702bill
36 minutes ago, squonk said:

We ain't greasing the space shuttle here. Use a good quality grease. sit back and have a beer! 

Mike - agreed - but the whole purpose of this post was to see if anyone found a good substitute for the Lucas green grease - 100% compatible...

OK, since you offered - what about your homeboys at NAPA - do they sell a Polyurea grease??

The chain of local NAPA stores near me got sold a couple of years back - the usable old website is gone, their new one is a joke loaded with frustration...

Edited by ri702bill

rokon
9 hours ago, squonk said:

What about the space shuttle transporter??? That baby uses tons of grease!

• Haha 3

WHX??
10 hours ago, squonk said:

I was gonna go that route Sqounky but now you get 40 lashes with the grease gun hose.

I'll go another route... what makes this polyican'tspell it grease special to warrant it's use not to mention the price or worse going with green and yello? 

Can I still have the 🍺?? 

Edited by WHX??
  • Haha 4

ri702bill

Jim - yes we both can have a beer or two.

I switched over to the green grease about 6 years ago - @peter lena was absolutely correct - all the ball bearings ran quieter with less heat. Even the gears on the 854 RM-366 were quieter, less heat and the grease stayed put. I even use this on the power feed gears on the milling machine, was using the Red & Tacky, but had to regrease weekly. Cleaned them up, regreased with the green stuff, can go about a month and there is no slung off grease on the inside of the gear guard anymore.....

Time for that beer    :D

Bill

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

sjoemie himself
19 hours ago, ri702bill said:

I recall the slindles being warm after use in July, but not to the point of sizzle and fizzle when washed down

If your spindles do get thát hot (boiling water 212°F or 100°C) there's no more helping them with any amount, or brand, of grease. That means your bearings are either shot or too full of grease. Yes that is a 'thing'..

So IMHO the 318°F rating of the JD grease should be more than enough.

Other grease manufacturers that come to mind:

Kendall, Total, Eurol, Mobil, Kroon, SKF (from the bearings), Liqui Moly etc. etc.

Like others said, it's not the space shuttle, it's a lawnmower :hide:

• Like 2

ri702bill
4 minutes ago, sjoemie himself said:

If your spindles do get thát hot (boiling water 212°F or 100°C) there's no more helping them with any amount, or brand, of grease. That means your bearings are either shot or too full of grease. Yes that is a 'thing'..

So IMHO the 318°F rating of the JD grease should be more than enough.

Other grease manufacturers that come to mind:

Kendall, Total, Eurol, Mobil, Kroon, SKF (from the bearings), Liqui Moly etc. etc.

Like others said, it's not the space shuttle, it's a lawnmower :hide:

The Space Shuttles needed O-rings, my tractors need grease.

Bill

sjoemie himself

I've found a Motorex grease which looks promising.

Droppoint of 250°C or 480°F

Polyurea based grease, developed for high pressure bearings.

See link and PDF for more.. yes it is in German so you might want/have to use Google translate a bit :text-google:

https://motorex.com/de-ch/fett-6400--20500?category=5910

FETT 6400_de.pdf

Edited by sjoemie himself
Added info
  • Excellent 2

Retired Wrencher
18 hours ago, squonk said:

Ditto Mike :orcs-cheers:

• Like 1

ri702bill
1 hour ago, sjoemie himself said:

I've found a Motorex grease which looks promising.

Droppoint of 250°C or 480°F

Polyurea based grease, developed for high pressure bearing

Almost there - it only carries a NGLI 1 rating, not the higher rating of the Lucas & JD. Not sure if it available here in the US....

Bill

• Like 1

sjoemie himself
40 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Almost there

Did you check the others from the link? This was just the first one I looked at to be honest :ph34r:

Digger 66
21 hours ago, peter lena said:

@ri702bill  that polyurea  rating is also vital to the  pto cone needle bearing , minimal grease that will not sling off onto the clutch face , pete

If you're looking for a grease that won't fling off , Isoflex is pricey but is used on ATV Primary clutch One-Way bearings that can spin in excess of 8K revs and not fling off .

https://www.amazon.com/isoflex-grease/s?k=isoflex+grease

Edited by Digger 66
  • Like 1

ri702bill
3 hours ago, ri702bill said:

That means your bearings are either shot or too full of grease. Yes that is a 'thing'..

As a Mfg Engineer, I learned the quantity of grease dispensed into the geartrain of our Actuators was rather critical. Too little is an obvous issue, but too much is bad too. Electromechanical devices get sluggish at -20 degrees . the viscosity of the grease goes way up. Most newer vehicles will throw a trouble code if the Actuator does not complete its task within the specified time...

• Like 1

oliver2-44
2 hours ago, sjoemie himself said:

Did you check the others from the link? This was just the first one I looked at to be honest :ph34r:

Sjoemie

If you find some grease made by KLUBER (a German company). Check it’s ratings. Before I retired we used it in large heavily loaded  rotary actuators that opened floodgates. Very good grease. It was expensive to get to US, but maybe not so much in Europe. 

• Like 1

ri702bill

@Digger 66 They must be very proud of their products - pricey.

The three criteria I referred to were that it has to be a replacement , readily available and reasonably priced.

Edited by ri702bill