That alone makes it a goodun........

• Like 1

ebinmaine
Just now, pacer said:

That alone makes it a goodun........

Yessuh.  

Why I bought a couple.   

ri702bill

The key to A GOOD oil drain pan is how well (or poorly) it can be drained into your larger recycling or collection container without leaving a spill that would rival that of the Exxon Valdez. I have one I use a lot - it has a drain shelf for the used oil filter - nice. BUT it makes a giant mess if you use the corner lip to empty the full pan - the oil runs behind the lip and down the side. I have to place a larger secondary pan on the ground with the smaller recycling container in it. 

• Like 3

davem1111

I have one kinda like this that I've had for many years:

image.png.59fc931887a825196181ff5ddb3bf496.png

Under the big lid is a plastic screen so drain plugs, wrenches, and oil filters won't fall into it. I don't know what the capacity is or where it was made, but I think I can drain 2 cars into it before I have to empty it. Very easy to pour off into another jug, or just take like this to the recycle center to empty into their barrel.

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

I've used the same old steel porcelain coated cooking pan that my 96 year old Dad used ... probably going on 75 years of continuous old oil duties +\-... works perfectly, holds 5 quarts, fits under everything, pours just as nice with used motor oil as it did for Grandma's cooking oil leftovers, cost nothing, will absolutely last forever...

I plan to make it available to my kids in the will... :handgestures-thumbupright:

Not sure exactly how Dad originally borrowed it from Grandma but, I'm sure he had full permission... :hide:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 2

ri702bill
54 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Not sure exactly how Dad originally borrowed it from Grandma but, I'm sure he had full permission... :hide:

Perhaps he could run faster than her - but could he outrun the rolling pin when she chucks it at him??!!

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
49 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

I've used the same old steel porcelain coated cooking pan that my 96 year old Dad used ... probably going on 75 years of continuous old oil duties +\-

This is awesome.   

10 hours ago, davem1111 said:

take like this to the recycle center to empty into their barrel

Therein lies an issue here in Maine and when I lived in Mass it was the same. 

There's NO recycling of used oil in many locations. The state puts guidelines in place but no requirements.  

We have the option of putting the used oil right back in the single qt containers to return to the original seller but not all counties even require or enforce that. Also doesn't help with online sales. 

We have several local garages that take used oil for their own burner  IIFF they have time to dump it for you into their own containers before they dump it into the storage unit.  

This happens because a good many non scrupulous idiots were purposely dumping antifreeze in with the oil figuring it then someone else's problem. Now it's everyone's.  

I've been burning mine some. It can be difficult to start and keep regulated. 

• Excellent 1
  • Sad 1

ri702bill
36 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Therein lies an issue here in Maine and when I lived in Mass it was the same.

Sounds all too familiar. I use a couple of large mouth cat food containers with screw-on lids  - they have a molded in handle, easy to fill and empty.

My town does accept used motor oil, but they do not make it easy. Ten years or so ago they had an "Oil Igloo" outside the Town garage, access to use it was 24/7. That stopped after somone dumped latex house paint into it - the town now had to pay to dispose of it rather than make a modest profit from it.

Today, you can only drop off oil (and used filters) only during normal business hours, M to F, 7:30 AM to 2:30 PM - and NOT from noon to 1PM.

You have to go the Office first, show your drivers license to prove you are a town resident, and my favorite - sign a form allowing them to prosecute you to the fullest extent of the law IF, when sampled, there is anything mixed in with the oil. You have to hang around and wait for a Town Employee do conduct the sampling, if it passes, you get to dump the oil into their 55 gallon barrel. I once went on a Saturday morning on a week that had a Monday Holiday - all Town services were delayed a day. I'm told that there was no one there to sample the containers, so just leave them and pick them up next week - I don't think so!!! - what about the next one to leave containers of tainted oil alondside mine?? Then the "Tinklefest" begins - not!! Too much aggrevation. 

I mentioned they also collect used oil filters - key word is "collect"!! Seems 10 or so years ago the town had an agreement with a 3rd party that would show up to "process" the filters - that meant they were opened, the innards removed - the steel shells were crushed and taken by that guy to be sold as scrap, the innards were compacted to extract the oil - the squashed innards had to be disposed by the town as hazardous waste. NOT worth the effort. The town still collects them - last time I was there there were 2 cargo trailers full outside.....

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Racinbob

I use these whenever I can. A short piece of hose and drain right into a jug and off to recycling. 

554326971_OilDrain.jpg.a6da7f53ba55acc638542a8182c01ea6.jpg

I use this for the vehicles that I don't have a valve on. 

1782712079_OilDrainPan.jpg.a6271fe9cbdd4dbe89e29c2026b96145.jpg

It was totally enclosed and tapered to a hole in the center. The problem was that the oil would splash all over. Not a problem with an open pan but I always dropped the drain plug into the pan of oil. Cutting the side out and screening it solved the problem. Easy to pour into another container. :)

• Like 2

peter lena

@ebinmaine   been using  gallon milk jugs  for quite a while now , flush out , magic marker  your  cut out area , for stand or  on side  holding ability , razor blade  your line .  side  sitting  lets you  take cap off for drainage . originally  did for  small nuts and / bolts as I  was doing something . now just keep a few around  , very handy , pete

• Like 2

pfrederi

Used to take it to my local Toro dealer (also car repair)  he had a waste oil heater.  Even easier now. Neighbor works for GDS  (gas drilling support)  they have a big vehicle fleet and heat their big repair facility with waste oil.

• Like 2

pacer

I use the - always plentiful - 5 gallon plastic buckets and cut them sorta like @peter lena - one short to catch the lawn equip and another to catch the cars/trucks. I live on heavily wooded 5 acres and have a constant supply of fallen limbs/debris, I get a nice pile of that and use the old oil to assist in burning it.

I had a very surprising thing happen a year or so ago - My F150's tranny went out and I only had to remove the pan to replace a valve ... the tranny held 9 qts of MERCON which ford stresses to use it only! Quite expensive too...  Any hoo, as I went to burn the next pile of brush I poured the used Mercon on and ---- whoa, it dang near put the fire out!! did NOT want to burn, had to keep dribbling conventional oil on to finally get the brush burned:scratchead:

• Like 3

lynnmor

I bought some used stainless steel steam table food pans many years ago .  They will last forever and are handy for cleaning parts as well as draining fluids.  They are easy to clean as well.  Look for them at auctions, or online, usually they can be bought for less than plastic trays.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

squonk
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

We have the option of putting the used oil right back in the single qt containers 

Has a customer (teacher) who came into the Napa store and wanted to drop off his used oil. We had a 55 gallon drum out back. I say sure just leave it by the loading dock. I go out back later and there are 32 qt. bottles of used motor oil that I have to dump and dispose of. Next time he comes in I sell him one of those 5 qt. sealable drain pans. He comes back in about another year with the full pan and about 22 qt. bottles of used oil. :rolleyes:

• Haha 3

Brockport Bill
19 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Found these on the fleeeBay. 

Figured I'd share. 

Price is great. 

They feel pretty strong.  

Fit under a Horse.  

Screenshot_20230113-173126-624.png

i just used that triangle shaped rubber tub -- because of its shape,

• Like 1

Brockport Bill

the traingle shaped tub works well under rear axle because of its manuverability

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Brockport Bill

i transfer oil from tub/pan to my empty one gallon clear plastic water/milk containers that have lids - that way i just drop them off leave them at the recycling repair garage and don't have to wait while they empty the other style sealed waste oil container that is mine

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Brockport Bill said:

the traingle shaped tub works well under rear axle because of its manuverability

That's a primary thing that I liked about it.  

• Like 2

Lee1977
On 1/14/2023 at 12:51 PM, ebinmaine said:

That's a primary thing that I liked about it.  

Yes we know you like to be different. can't used a normal round or rectangle oil drain pan.

• Like 1

RandyLittrell
On 1/14/2023 at 6:55 AM, ebinmaine said:

When I was still working, I would get the spacers/cushions out of the plate glass crates and fill a 5 gallon bucket up with those and used oil. Made a great shop heater starter. We called that stuff fatback, don't know why, but it was kinda like thick cardboard but made of a cross between sawdust and cardboard. 

Randy

• Like 1

wallfish
On 1/14/2023 at 7:55 AM, ebinmaine said:

Chinese diesel heater

They're truck cab heaters. Might as well use the heat and fairly inexpensive. You can go cheaper too but it's all the separate parts

You can mix 50/50 used oil with diesel and they burn away. Lots of YT videos. Also a good way to get rid of the diesel wash for transmissions too. Just filter it before loading the tank as you don't want any debris in there.

I've been saving my used oil for the zombie apocalypse or just in case the power is out in winter for an extended length of time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1