Achto

953 Rehabilitation

953 nut
10 hours ago, Achto said:

No room for this. with the way the frame is designed for the hydro lift.

When I put the six speed in "Hot Wheels" ,now owned by @Pullstart, fifteen or so years ago I drilled and tapped a hole in the transaxle mount to line up with the hole near the lift cylinder pivot. Had to slightly elongate another hole in the plate but don't remember which one. The case for the transaxle wass empty when I drilled and tapped it.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
3 hours ago, Achto said:

donor tranny also got put back together, mostly. I put the detent hard ware in a bag & stuffed it inside

Never know when we may need it for parts or if we stumble on some 1 1/8 cases build one for a shelf spare. 

That driver kit is way better that the one I got. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

jeremi3210
4 hours ago, Achto said:

Tranny issues are over.:greetings-clappingyellow: A Special Thanks to @jeremi3210 for hooking me up with a good right hand case. I took a little drive up to his place last week to grab my much needed part. Was great to do some catching up with him.

Happy to help! Best part of this hobby is the friendships you make while doing it!!! 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

Achto

A lot of sand blasting and a little bit of painting today. Painted some of the small pieces that wouldn't pay to hang up for spraying with the gun.

IMG_20230226_170539524.jpg.b929555980b4e6934e26bb34be1625a0.jpg

IMG_20230226_170600234.jpg.8f36f874b38668dd906d6fd725e056f4.jpg

Parts are in so I have the crank shaft cleaned up & ready to go to my machinist to get turned down to .010 under.

IMG_20230226_171218328.jpg.253f1c327d63ca12871430d3fc5487d3.jpg

Unfortunately I have to use different machinists for the crank & block. Block is also ready to head off to get bored out to .020 over.

IMG_20230226_172337533.jpg.f566e7723332c252d5d22fa25fc10a64.jpg  

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

Wild Bill 633
10 hours ago, Achto said:

Unfortunately I have to use different machinists for the crank & block. Block is also ready to head off to get bored out to .020 over.

FYI, I have used Fond du Lac Auto Machine & Parts & Pakes Engine & Machine in Janesville. Both very good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Achto
11 minutes ago, Wild Bill 633 said:

FYI, I have used Fond du Lac Auto Machine & Parts & Pakes Engine & Machine in Janesville

Currently I use Tiry Race Engines in Ripon for the crank work & Mag machining in Pine River for the block. I will check out that Fond du Lac shop. Thanks

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2

WHX??
1 hour ago, Wild Bill 633 said:

FYI, I have used Fond du Lac Auto Machine & Parts & Pakes Engine & Machine in Janesville. Both very good.

I had no luck with FDL auto machine. Took a Clinton block there for work once. They had it for 6 months and never got at it. Finally had to get it back and go elsewhere. Thing that ticked me off is if they couldn't get at just tell me. 

I would stick with your guys Dan or my guy in Columbus. My guy ground crank & 10 over bore for a buck quarter in that motor that Ryan toasted. He does race motors but appreciates us guys doing vintage motors. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Lane Ranger
12 hours ago, Achto said:

While striping the paint off from my gas tank today I noticed that there was a lot of flaking paint on it. This is never a good sign as that usually means that there is a leak some place. Really made me wonder because the inside of the tank looks like brand new. After getting the paint off I found history of a JB Weld repair. :( Sorry but as this tank showed, JB weld is usually not a long term tank repair.

IMG_20230319_090101983.jpg.58fdc70ab6c33f719063de533c62b1d1.jpg

After cleaning things up completely it looks like the seam either rubbed through on something or someone hit it with a grinder.

IMG_20230319_091703160_HDR.jpg.91ac8e108ad0bee33de19651d819b0cb.jpg 

I silver solder the seam, spread a baking soda past on it and put some gas in to see if I had the leak fixed. It was fixed but noticed a leak around the petcock plate.:wacko: Gas was leaking around one of the rivets. Dump the gas out, clean the area well, and silver solder the rivets. Put gas back in and it has been sitting for 4hrs now with no leaks.:greetings-clappingyellow: My solder job ain't real pretty but it's holding.:)

IMG_20230319_123333641.jpg.414b76f2bab989a134a413b0865f9773.jpg

Those tanks can be a problem.  Big and a lot of surface to collect water!

• Like 3

WHX??

I have that KBS kit to use on the Amigo and now the two piece 502 tank.

Last kit I ended up dumping most of it. They send enought to do a five gallon tank.

It really does work if you apply it right. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

squonk

Details on the bearing and seal driver set Daniel! :banana-wrench:

IMG_20230221_195327356.jpg.ad6590fae7fd692bdeb8d323e2a51566.jpg

• Like 2

Achto

WHX??

Way better than the set I got Squonky ... half the price but half the pieces and no sizes that fit our stuff... metric? Going to get one like Dan's . 

20230320_090721.jpg

• Like 2

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, squonk said:

Details on the bearing and seal driver set Daniel

2 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Way better than the set I got Squonky ... half the price but half the pieces and no sizes that fit our stuff... metric? Going to get one like Dan's . 

I'll second that vote for a good kit. 

I have the same as @Achto's. 

All millimeter sized so there's a driver for whatever you need.  

I've used it just a few times and been very glad I bought it.  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Achto

I pulled my HY pump apart so that I knew for sure what I need for parts. After I took the cover off all I could think was "What in the wide wide world of sports is a going on here?!?!?"

IMG_20230327_155836517.jpg.95b7a144b01bc8e1761c4f6f20299ca6.jpg

IMG_20230327_155840594.jpg.24261f39355f8347f7b6941aacbfa760.jpg

Given the fact that this spring does not look in any way shape or form correct. I'm going to guess that this was an attempt to replace the stand up spring that should be in here. I think that I am going to order a stand up style spring to put it back how it should be. Any thoughts on this are welcome.

Edited by Achto
  • Haha 7

Handy Don
39 minutes ago, Achto said:

Given the fact that this spring does not look in any way shape or form correct. I'm going to guess that this was an attempt to replace the stand up spring that should be in here. I think that I am going to order a stand up style spring to put it back how it should be. Any thoughts on this are welcome

I have no idea what it should look like, but it looks like some pretty imaginative hacking there. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Achto
8 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I have no idea what it should look like

The return spring should look like this for a 953 pump.

download.jpg.a51d446d8ce0290d19cf64d2f4fd62e8.jpg

Newer pumps had this style of return spring.

1613278926_download(1).jpg.230c68a90efd4bba8bd80f2a044f5671.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Well ya gotta remember the springs were made of unobtainium for a bit so necessity was the mother of invention. The donor transmission case in point. 

Poor PO prolly went to a dealer to get a :wh: part and dealer says yer nuts but I got a shiny new MTD here... 

• Like 4

Handy Don

Seeing that it’s an 953-style pump it looks like the PO had seen the setup of the newer style and did, IMHO, a pretty clever job of “upgrading” it to the newer style spring. Points awarded for ingenuity and effort. Bonus points if it was functioning as expected. :rolleyes: 

• Like 3

kpinnc
23 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Bonus points if it was functioning as expected.

I should have a t-shirt with that printed across it, front and back! :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Achto

Todays agenda was to get the body work done on the rear fenders.

IMG_20230416_160754954.jpg.221a2dcc0770d88261f5af05a38a64cd.jpg

IMG_20230416_160817775.jpg.61dac1b069f80fb040459aa04ed93cbf.jpg

With this done I am ready for primer & paint. Before I make paint fly on my tractor though, I have a few parts that I need to spray for a friend of mine. @WHX?? gonna need you to get me the rest of the parts for your 701. You've patiently waited long enough.  

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

WHX??
20 minutes ago, Achto said:

a few parts that I need to spray for a friend of mine. @WHX?? gonna need you to get me the rest of the parts for your 701. You've patiently waited long enough

Waited hell... I got alot of other projects that are waiting for me to get off my kester...:lol:

Betting it was a bastage to blast that beast... now you know why I am staying original. Shoulda borrowed @953 nut's rotisserie!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Achto
3 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Betting it was a bastage to blast that beast

Was not real fun, a lot of nook and crannies to get into. Even after a good pressure washing, I still found some grease to push around with the blaster. 

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1