JP56

Axle Sizes on REAR of a 1974 C100 & 1988 312-8 BOTH 8 Speed

JP56

This may belong under a STUPID QUESTION Topic, but here goes anyway.

I have a 74 C100 & a 88 312-8. Both are 8 speed manual trans. Both are leaking at the Axle Seals and also at the Brake Shaft Seals.

I have manuals for both of them which came from this site, and Thank God for the guys here that always reply & the world of info they supply!

I have been well aware that the parts numbering & parts descriptions have changed over the years, & it got even more confusing to many of us trying to find Horse parts vis Toro.

I had no problem finding Brake Shaft and Input seals for both since apparently they both take the same part numbers if I am reading the manuals right, but I have a problem with the Axle seals.

I find them with no problem for the 74, because they only list one, but for the 88, they list 2, but neither of the part numbers come up as the same number as the part number for the 74.

The 74 takes a #100443 or Cross Ref. to #1213, The seals for the 74 measured using a ruler on the new seals shows ID of 1 1/16" & 1 3/8 OD, which I ordered & just got from wheelhorsepartsandmore.

The Problem for the 88 is that they show 2 different Axle Seal numbers for this Model but no indication of which is which. They both have a 1" ID, but they have a 1 1/2" OD on one and a 1 1/4" OD on the other. 

I do not own or have access to any caliper to measure the axel housing to see which one I need so I am wondering if anyone here can tell me if there is a way to tell by the numbers on the tractor, or

if any one might know which size I do need.

Since they are both the 8 speed manual drives, and the seals for the brake shaft and input shafts are the same size on BOTH tractors I find it really strange that the axle seals would not be the same. It also makes me wonder (since I haven't looked them up yet) if the Case Gaskests for both transmissions is the same or different. The case gaskets on both of mine are also leaking & need replacing. 

Edited by JP56
  • Like 1

953 nut

Here is some information @stevasaurus put together.

image.png.28b9f52f0b7d9481d02d9b802b1685f3.png

• Like 3

JP56

Thanks 953 nut . I have to say though, a lot of this PDF makes very little sense to me at this point, because I have no idea which one of the model numbers up top tell me which Tranny I have & in which tractor lol, but it does appear that this time around I was like the blind squirrel that finds a nut, because I just happened to have ordered the #100863 seals after making a guess, when I ordered all the other seals, but they are on back order. I got all the others today and was a bid aggravated that the ones I ordered are not here at the same time, but I guess I can only work on one at a time anyway so.....:D  My biggest headache will be disassembling everything to replace the case gaskets IF I decide to do that. I guess some dripping and refilling isn't the worst thing in the world to deal with as long as I can get the shaft seals all installed ok with no leaks ! I have done every thing on cars & trucks all my life, except for Tranny rebuilds & rear ends. I attempted a tranny job once (on my own car) & once the ball bearings popped from the passage ways, NEVER again lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

gwest_ca

This should be the transmission in the 1988.

The reason more than one seal is listed is because the on-line parts lists are shared with more than one tractor model. Look at the engine ipl to get an idea of the other tractor models included. An original parts list for the tractor model will have the correct parts listed.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
12 hours ago, JP56 said:

own or have access to any caliper

Inexpensive slide rules can be had from MANY sources and are well worth the price. 

Wheelhorse used many "Standard Parts". 

Seals bearings clips nuts bolts shims bushings etc.  

Your seals can be had from a bunch of places that aren't the dealer.  

In the 80s there were 1" axles on some models of 8 speeds.  

All 1974 C-series 8 speeds had 1⅛" axles.  

Brake and input shaft sizes remained the same for decades.  

It's legitimately possible your 1988 tractor could have either size.  

You'll need to measure the axle shaft to determine the seals needed.  

Another option...

Order a set of 1⅛ seals from Lowell at Wheelhorse Parts and More. 

If they don't fit the 312 they will fit the C.  

When you get to removing the seals...

Do NOT use a hammer or 3 jaw puller to remove the hubs.  

There are quite a few threads showing the right options. 

• Like 2

stevasaurus

@JP56 you are making this harder then it is.  If your C-100 transmission is original, you have 1 1/8" axles.  All Wheel Horses have either a 1" or a 1 1/8" Dia axle.  Your  312-8 probably has 1" axles  You can measure that with a ruler across the axle by the hub.  Once you determine which size axle you have, if you read down the left side of the PDF above, it says the bearings and seals for the different axles.  All 1 1/8" axles use their same outside bearing and seal.  All 1" axles use their same bearing and seal.

The reason you see 2 different options in those manuals...one is for 1" axles and the other is for 1 1/8" axles.  Also, if you look at those manuals, it differentiates between the 300 and the 400 series.  The 400 series has 1 1/8" axles.  I know it is confusing, but if you take the time you can see how they listed those parts in the manuals.  :confusion-confused:

@JP56 once you take the time to study the parts pages, you will see how they did things.  Don't be afraid to ask questions...it took me some time to figure this out.  :occasion-xmas:

Just so you know...if transmissions are original...74 C-100 is probably a Raider 10 and has a #5091 8 speed, 8 pinion differential.  Check your model number...1-0390 is a Raider 10.

Your 1988 312-8 21-12K805 probably has the #110996 1" axles, 4 pinion differential...if original.

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Excellent 2