ebinmaine

Opening a Wheelhorse transmission. Video.

ri702bill

Good video - but, me thinks @formariz might get a rash for your "misusin'" a wood chisel on cast iron !! :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Good video - but, me thinks @formariz might get a rash for your "misusin'" a wood chisel on cast iron !! :lol:

If it makes you (or Caz) feel better I really use the wood chisel on a paper gasket... So it's ... Kinda... Wood. Ish....?

:)

:hide:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

stevasaurus

Very well done Eric.  :thumbs:  I use an old wood chisel also to get the case opening started.  I find that a 2' pry bar works good after it is started.  Also, as you found out, it is important to clean all of the shafts and file any burrs on the end and keyways first.  Always open with the shallow side down (input shaft side).  :orcs-cheers:

• Like 4

JoeM

I start the cases open by tapping a razor knife blade held in vise grips. (all my wood chisels are reserved) lol  good multi tool....I know wood chisels make a mighty fine scraper too!

2118324672_Splitinggearcasewithrazorblade1.jpg.64c14ea0418b883617d228f1ae773462.jpg132840006_Splitinggearcasewithrazorblade2.jpg.22b382e4a5ec3290173f1ea6aaec38db.jpg

• Like 3

Jeff-C175
10 minutes ago, JoeM said:

tapping a razor knife blade held in vise grips

Too brittle and 'shattery' for my liking.  Sharp pieces go flying.  I hope you are wearing the required PPE when you do this!  

• Like 5

JoeM
14 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Too brittle and 'shattery' for my liking.  Sharp pieces go flying

Don't go crazy on it just a few light taps. It goes easy.

I know the newer stuff like the kubota case has some kind of rubbery glue sealer that razor edge gets them started. 

If you twist it it breaks. 

I always wear glasses. I've got those cheater safety ones with bifocal lens. :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 2

Jeff-C175
11 minutes ago, JoeM said:

I always wear glasses.

I'd make it a full face and neck shield... maybe I'm overly cautious though.

I don't wan't my jugular lookin' all funny with a piece of blade sticking out of it, cuz that would be my (and @Pullstart) luck!

• Like 2

Pullstart

Hey!  I just processed three deer in a week and had no lost time recordables!  New @Pullstart record!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

stevasaurus

How easy they come apart is because Wheel Horse did not use gasket cement, and they did not have any leaks...that is why I tell members not to use gasket stuff.  Not needed and you would be fighting getting those halves apart.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

How easy they come apart is because Wheel Horse did not use gasket cement, and they did not have any leaks...that is why I tell members not to use gasket stuff.  Not needed and you would be fighting getting those halves apart.  :occasion-xmas:

Definitely been there.  

I've disassembled these with blue and clear gasket sealant and some sort of brown stuff cementing the 2 halves together.  

More fun than a barrel of monkeys.  

One of the 6 speeds I'll be getting into soon has clear-ish splooges all around the seam.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

@ebinmaine, nice job on the video and we will nominate BBT for an Emmy Award for Outstanding Cinematography

image.png.84f0206424cca077be527eb4e4372742.png

When I am opening a transmission I always start at the hitch pin casting because there is no gasket in there and the wider gap is a bit easier to get the chisel started.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

nominate BBT for an Emmy Award for Outstanding Cinematography

:lol:

She says "That's cute, and thank you!" 

8 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

When I am opening a transmission I always start at the hitch pin casting because there is no gasket in there and the wider gap is a bit easier to get the chisel started.

Excellent idea! 

• Like 2

RandyLittrell
On 11/25/2022 at 12:32 PM, Jeff-C175 said:

Too brittle and 'shattery' for my liking.  Sharp pieces go flying.  I hope you are wearing the required PPE when you do this!  

I did auto glass forever and cheap ones are very brittle and the good ones tend to be more ductile. I had one in my hand everyday and you can really tell the difference. We used stanleys mostly. 

Randy

• Like 2

Sailman
On 11/25/2022 at 9:30 AM, ri702bill said:

Owning and operating a wooden boat you can imagine my respect and need for owning and maintaining quality wood working tools (of which I have all sorts!). And that includes not misusing them.

However, I do keep another old set of wood chisels to be abused and resharpened on what ever project they will make easier, wood or not!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1