Snoopy11

Ahoy! Where's my finger tip?

elcamino/wheelhorse

@squonk Why did Dino get the hat first ?

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

squonk
3 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@squonk Why did Dino get the hat first ?

He didn't. I named it after him because of his tree incident. Kind of a tribute! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

What tree accident , must have happened before I joined.

• Like 1

rmaynard
1 hour ago, squonk said:

Maybe @rmaynard knows where the pic of him getting the hat is? 

image.png.5ec50dd1e9b5a13c18ecefd0e9e6a49d.png

• Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

stevasaurus

I did fall out of a tree in 2011.  Very stupid on my part...fractured left wrist, fractured right hip had a walker for 3 weeks...no stairs.  Cut a tree limb and it took my ladder to the left...through the chain saw away and landed on the limb I cut down.  The chain saw had no marks...wish I could say the same.  Anyway, when I read these additions to this "Bumps & Bruises" thread, I cringe every time.  I know that getting older makes it harder to come back.  I used to climb telephone poles and live on a ladder sling all day...the arthurites is taking it's toll.  Guess what...it will happen to you all.  Stop thinking you can keep doing everything you did when you were 18.  I used to jump out of perfectly good airplanes...I don't think I could survive that again.  BTW, I never landed in a small airplane.  :USA:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Sad 1
  • Heart 1

Snoopy11
4 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

I did fall out of a tree in 2011

Ouch...

A couple of years ago, we had a leak in the roof. (You can probably guess how this is going to end before I even tell the story). Well... I decided to climb up onto the 2 story roof to take a peek.

Mistake.

The pitch of the roof is virtually a 55 degree angle...

I ended up sliding off, landing on my back.

I didn't break a bone... but it sure felt like it... :P

Don

• Sad 3

Evguy
20 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Mistake.

The pitch of the roof is virtually a 55 degree angle...

I ended up sliding off, landing on my back.

I didn't break a bone... but it sure felt like it... :P

Don

You’re going to find it takes longer to heal as you age, hence, you will not make the poor decisions that end up injuring you. 
The stories here remind me of poor painful choices I have made in the past.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
50 minutes ago, Evguy said:

poor painful choices I have made in the past.

...and I'm going to guess that your profile picture is the result...? :confusion-confused:

Evguy

BBBBAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :laughing-rolling:

Don

• Haha 3

The Freightliner Guy

That thing still freaks me out if I saw that I’d say dad where’s your pistol 

stevasaurus

Fun thread...kind of??  I hope bringing back some of these memories is a lesson to some to think of being careful when they do things.  Look at what you are trying to do first...think about what could go wrong...make sure you have someone there around you...do not be out there alone.  Live to tell about it !!  :occasion-xmas:  

We have guys that have had running horses fall on them while trying to load them into a truck or trailer.  One bad second is all it takes.  :notworthy:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Snoopy11
3 minutes ago, The Freightliner Guy said:

That thing still freaks me

I see it when I get up in the morning and look in the mirror... :teasing-neener:

Don

• Haha 3

Snoopy11
3 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

I hope bringing back some of these memories is a lesson to some to think of being careful when they do things.  Look at what you are trying to do first...think about what could go wrong...make sure you have someone there around you...do not be out there alone.  Live to tell about it !!

Yessir. You are 100% correct. Just poking a hole in some material with your knife could be a mistake that costs you a finger... a mistake that you will have to live with the rest of your life.

I've gotten pretty lucky in my life with eye injuries, fingers, many other examples. Hopefully my 'luck' never runs out... and if I can help it... it won't!

I will say... I won't use that knife again without wearing some mechanics gloves... it just 'taint worth it... :bow-blue:

Don

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

Evguy
12 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

I see it when I get up in the morning and look in the mirror... :teasing-neener:

Don

That shot is before my coffee…:lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Horse Newbie
6 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

blackening a fingernail

Ever done that and drilled a small hole in the nail to relieve the pressure and stop the throbbing ?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
5 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Ever done that and drilled a small hole in the nail to relieve the pressure and stop the throbbing ?

many a time :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Pullstart
41 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

We have guys that have had running horses fall on them while trying to load them into a truck or trailer.

I saw an elderly gentleman have a ramp slide out while loading a tractor into just an enclosed trailer at the Big Show this year.  Can’t tell you how fast and how many people went running to help!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Horse Newbie
4 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

many a time :handgestures-thumbupright:

What brand drill/ hp did you use?… or did you use a drill press ?

• Haha 2

Pullstart

Tiny drill (1/16” or so?) between my fingers.  Spin the drill a little at a time.

• Excellent 2

Horse Newbie
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

Tiny drill (1/16” or so?) between my fingers.  Spin the drill a little at a time.

Yep… exactly my method ! I will never suffer with that throbbing for 1-2 days again…

Had an emergency room doctor do it once with a “hot” needle…

then she squeezed the crap out of the finger tip to squirt most of the built up pressure and blood out.

I jumped about a foot out of my chair and squealed “You didn’t tell me you were going to do that !”…

she said “If I told you, you would not have let me do it.”:lol:

When I done my first drilling of my own fingernail I actually thought “How am I gonna do this and not drill through my finger?”

I’m SOOOOO glad clear thinking caught me and said “Just twirl a very small bit( brand new, dipped in alcohol) between two fingers.”

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

October 15th ,2006 . After making repairs on roof , threw all tools and left over materials to the ground . Ladder was positioned on the deck so I was only about 8 ft off the deck. Tested ladder everything okay. Placed left foot on ladder , moved right leg and the ladder slipped , landed on top of ladder. Hour later I was in ER , 5 days in the hospital , fractured L2 vertebrate . 6 months later no job. Took me 5 years to fully recover. Been retired since October 12, 2006. People wonder why I am cranky. I have been on pain meds (2 RXs ) since 2006 , just a little dopey 24/7. Every year since something else goes on the fritz.   

• Sad 6

Pullstart
27 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Yep… exactly my method ! I will never suffer with that throbbing for 1-2 days again…

Had an emergency room doctor do it once with a “hot” needle…

then she squeezed the crap out of the finger tip to squirt most of the built up pressure and blood out.

I jumped about a foot out of my chair and squealed “You didn’t tell me you were going to do that !”…

she said “If I told you, you would not have let me do it.”:lol:

When I done my first drilling of my own fingernail I actually thought “How am I gonna do this and not drill through my finger?”

I’m SOOOOO glad clear thinking caught me and said “Just twirl a very mall bit( brand new, dipped in alcohol) between two fingers.”

Same deal, here when I was a young teen maybe, and slammed my thumb in my mom’s car door.  Next time a hammer hit me, zi went to the drill index and got to work :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

The Freightliner Guy

Oofta that sucks I wonder what year and model the dozer is and that doesn’t look like a hill at all

Evguy
1 hour ago, Horse Newbie said:

I’m SOOOOO glad clear thinking caught me and said “Just twirl a very mall bit( brand new, dipped in alcohol) between two fingers.”

Alcohol? Never thought of that….

I just went for it.

• Haha 1

8ntruck

Yup.  I had a dumpster delivered yesterday.  Today, I loaded the beams and joists of the 10' x 30' front porch roof into it.  Used my chainsaw to cut the large wooden beam into manageable pieces.  I had most of it loaded into the dumpster and just had a couple more pieces to go.

I then realized that I was getting tried.  Had an argument with mself - just a couple more pieces, just push through.  No, don't do that, you will trip and fall while carrying one of those things and break something.

In my younger days, I would have finished up.  Now that I am older and supposedly wiser, I decided that those last couple of pieces will be just fine where they are, and I'll load them tomorrow.

• Excellent 5