Darrenw85

RJ Transmission question

Darrenw85

I took my rj transmission apart to clean and rebuild. I've never taken one of these apart. On the brake side there are welds around the where the bearing are located. Are these welds from the factory? Second question, the brake shaft gear has a lot of wear, is this usable or should I try and find a replacement?  Thanks.

IMG_20221009_152438500.jpg

IMG_20221009_152421135.jpg

IMG_20221008_211141845.jpg

IMG_20221008_211129635.jpg

IMG_20221009_164134848.jpg

WHX??

Welds look normal to me but the gear teeth ??? Eich... may be okay for just a show or yard ride. A guy could lay some beads down across those teeth then hand file them to shape?  Just thinking out loud ther. What does the diff gear look like? @stevasaurus?? @Lane Ranger?? 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 2

Pullstart

I’ve TIG welded gear teeth up before, then ground the, back in.  It took quite a bit of work. I’d run that gear.., 

• Like 1

WHX??
2 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

I’d run that gear.., 

:text-yeahthat:If it's just gonna be a putt around. 

• Like 1

Racinbob

Those welds are factory normal, splatter and all. 

I think that gear can be used but I'd definitely prefer to see it replaced. :)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
12 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

Those welds are factory normal, splatter and all. 

I think that gear can be used but I'd definitely prefer to see it replaced. :)

:text-yeahthat:

Here is a picture of another side plate with the same welds. What is the condition of the big bull gear that meshed with the brake shaft gear? Were the bearings on the brake shaft shot?

2.7.thumb.JPG.231084695e04b0ec61915892ff

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I think you would be OK with that mushroom gear.  I would put it back together and look for a better mushroom gear at a show.  Just know that you are looking for an 11/44 tooth gear for #5003 or #5010 transmissions...not the older type with just 8 teeth instead of 11.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

Darrenw85

A couple items I verified, The mushroom gear I have is the 8/44 tooth gear. The bull gear has wear on it too and it's the type that is one piece.  I tore this apart because the brake was froze. The bearing for the brake shaft is froze. Here are a couple more pictures. I hope I can find a replacement gear, I only want to put this together once. Thanks for all the comments. 

IMG_20221010_184050788.jpg

IMG_20221010_184135978.jpg

• Like 1

stevasaurus

That is the wrong mushroom gear for that bull gear.  I am surprised that even works.  The bull gear is easy to find if you want to replace that.  That same bull gear is in the #5025 3 speed transmissions.  Somebody was in that trans and did not know what they were doing.  Page through this thread...everything you need to know about these 3 piece transmissions is in here.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Darrenw85

Thanks, Steve. The wrong gear in the transmission could be the reason the brake was frozen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Racinbob

Edited to avoid confusion. 

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 2

stevasaurus

Page through that thread...Racin'Bob and I put that together along with Lane Ranger.  It is worth it's weight in gold.  Bring in any questions you have.  :orcs-cheers:

Yes, it could be the teeth were not meshing.  :eusa-think:  The service bulletins show the need for both parts if you do a change.  The guy that had this before you did not know about those bulletins??  

Answer me this??  Is the attachment for the brake piece at a 90 degree or a 45 degree on the left side plate.??  Also, do you have a casting date on the casting by where the shifter goes...looks like this.  D14 %8

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Darrenw85

Brake mount is at 90 degrees and the date is L?? 8 (Dec 58). If I remember correctly the person I bought the transmission from bought a tractor that came with an 

extra transmission (I bought) or he changed the transmission in the tractor he bought and I bought this transmission from him. I don't believe I paid too much for it. I knew I needed a transmission for my RJ so I bought that one knowing I would have to rebuild it. 

• Thanks 1

stevasaurus

I am going to send you my phone number in a PM...you might want to give me a call for options.    :orcs-cheers:

stevasaurus

The left side plate with the 90 degree brake shoe mount is the correct side plate for your 1958 RJ.  The casting date is also correct for a 1958 RJ.  

• Like 1

mike avad

I NEED SOME INFO ON MY TRANS. TOW VALVE AM NOT ABLE TO PUSH THE ROD IN IT'S RUSTED IT HAS A BIG NUT ON IT TO HOLD IT PLACE. HOW CAN I FREE THAT AND CAN I PUT SOME HEAT ON THAT THIS IS ON MY 252-H WHEEL HORSE  CAN THAT BE REMOVE FROM THE REAR END.THNAK YOU FOR ANY INFO AND REPLY'S BACK

• Like 1

WHX??

What transmission we workin on here Mike? Sounds like a hydro? Vertical shaft perhaps? By any chance is the tow valve release located on a lever under the seat? 

This was kinda a three piece thread might want to start a separate one and we'll see what we can do to help. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1

953 nut
12 hours ago, mike avad said:

I NEED SOME INFO ON MY TRANS. TOW VALVE AM NOT ABLE TO PUSH THE ROD IN IT'S RUSTED IT HAS A BIG NUT ON IT TO HOLD IT PLACE. HOW CAN I FREE THAT AND CAN I PUT SOME HEAT ON THAT THIS IS ON MY 252-H WHEEL HORSE  CAN THAT BE REMOVE FROM THE REAR END.THNAK YOU FOR ANY INFO AND REPLY'S BACK

Please start your own thread.   This is probably the transmission you have.