Ifixoldjunk

Pullstart explosion?

Ifixoldjunk

0720391F-B18C-438F-B410-FB7F5E6FED35.jpeg.0d0a3e27b51a1aa297d083fbf3cd41f8.jpeg

Hi y’all, I’ve been kinda not on this site lately. I’ve been sucked into the world of antique chainsaws. Haven’t been doing much with tractors unfortunately.

I’ve recently obtained this 1964 Remington SL-9. It ran absolutely amazingly for a week or so, bucking up all manner of firewood. Until the recoil just randomly… exploded?F7C62F68-4B96-45E1-B742-ADCADEB860DB.jpeg.9ccf445bdd73cd23dcde81fdeba8c3b6.jpeg

It appears that a E-clip backed out and just launched the pawls into the spinning flywheel. Luckily, it seems that only the recoil was destroyed. The rest of the saw made out fine. 
I’ve already found a replacement recoil, but what steps can be taken to prevent this? Was it dumb luck? PO tinkering with it? Operator error? Anything I’m overlooking? The recoil was up there in price so I’d like to avoid exploding this one too. Thanks guys.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

E-clips are stamped when they are made so one side has rounded edges and the other side sharp edges.

Install with the sharp edges against the side of the groove that will get the load.

I can see how an E-clip could get flung off at high rpm. Would a retaining ring with two eyes be a better choice?

• Like 1

Pullstart

Gotta be honest… I figured this was a bumps and bruises thread pointed at this guy :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

elcamino/wheelhorse

What about the loose screw ?  Did it drop into the flywheel when you took off the cover or did it cause the problem ?

• Like 1

Ifixoldjunk
1 minute ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

What about the loose screw ?  Did it drop into the flywheel when you took off the cover or did it cause the problem ?

Honestly, I hadn’t had the recoil off the saw until after it exploded. Seems like the only thing amiss was the E-clip

Ifixoldjunk
34 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

E-clips are stamped when they are made so one side has rounded edges and the other side sharp edges.

Install with the sharp edges against the side of the groove that will get the load.

I can see how an E-clip could get flung off at high rpm. Would a retaining ring with two eyes be a better choice?

Perhaps. They originally all had E-clips from what I’ve seen, but a snap ring might be better. Don’t really see the E-clip spinning too fast since it should only move when you pull the rope. I’ll have to do more digging 

wallfish
1 hour ago, Ifixoldjunk said:

I’ve been sucked into the world of antique chainsaws.

Let me know if you're interested in one of these. Homelite XL-100 circular saw. Powered by the same XL-12 chainsaw engine

44403823_ORdisplay9-10-22.jpg.b9cb53aa38494b10aa4d449722af3e02.jpg.3454db52b6a135ea57d404715605a48f.jpg

• Excellent 2

SylvanLakeWH
8 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Gotta be honest… I figured this was a bumps and bruises thread pointed at this guy :lol:

Can’t be of any help with your dilemma, but that is exactly what I thought when I saw the title… “oh boy, he was at @Pullstart’s and, well…  :happy-bouncyredfire: :scared-eek: :auto-ambulance: :law-policeblue: :clap:…”

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

squonk
11 hours ago, Pullstart said:

It's pretty telling when a chainsaw starter blows up and about 200 guys think "what did he do now? " :hilarious:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

squonk
10 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Waldo, this is NOT ABOUT KEVIN!!!! :lol:

• Like 1

JoeM

Only thing I see on this trailer that wood make me feel good is the booze!

44403823_ORdisplay9-10-22.jpg.b9cb53aa38494b10aa4d449722af3e02.jpg.3454db52b6a135ea57d404715605a48f.jpg

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, JoeM said:

the booze

Not sure you would want to drink that stuff Joe!  From what I've heard, it's pretty nasty... even if it does say Wheel Horse on the label.

• Thanks 1

wallfish
5 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Not sure you would want to drink that stuff Joe!  From what I've heard, it's pretty nasty... even if it does say Wheel Horse on the label.

That's from the girls that can't handle whiskey. It's not the best whiskey I've ever had but it's not bad iced. It's the 101 proof that makes it strong compared to most which are 80 proof. Straight warm shots are strong and hard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Stormin
20 hours ago, squonk said:

It's pretty telling when a chainsaw starter blows up and about 200 guys think "what did he do now? " :hilarious:

• Haha 3