hotajax

Coffee Addicts - Where to Get Great Stuff?

hotajax

I like dark roast, and have been drinking Peet's for a couple of years.  It's probably the best thing Costco offers, and I'm getting bored with it.  I'd like to find some of that smoky dark rocket fuel that I used to get in France when I was in the Navy.  That stuff would raise the dead, but you couldn't quit after just one cup.  Do any of you buy your coffee online or mail order?  Any suggestions for where to get it?  Please don't tell me Starbucks.  Their dark roast is nothing more than regular beans burned to a crisp and that doesn't take much skill.  Thanks in advance.  This will earn you a free six pack of fine German dark lager if you drive over and pick it up.   Hot Ajax

Edited by hotajax
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

@ebinmaine ??? 

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Have you ever tried Truck Stop Organics?  They have Big Rig Roast, Rumble Strip Espresso, etc.  I like those.  There’s one called Fog Cutter too I think.  

I have a Black Rifle dark roast but it seems a bit bitter.  I know I can’t judge a company on just one flavor though 

23BA29DF-293C-45DC-ABE9-E33A92230722.png

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Bill D

I like Kauai Coffee.  It's grow in Hawaii.  Gotta love USA products!

I order a medium roast online.  They may have a darker roast that you'll like 

• Like 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, hotajax said:

dark rocket fuel that I used to get in France when I was in the Navy

That brings back some memories, for sure, of being introduced to coffee in France and Italy. Sure made a Continental Breakfast something to look forward to.

Agreed that most "dark" roasts here are either too bitter or too burned. I'm working on a stash of Costa Rican French Roast a friend gifted me--close but not the same. My compromise is Equal Exchange French Roast -- pretty good and supporting a good cause.

hotajax
2 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

That brings back some memories, for sure, of being introduced to coffee in France and Italy. Sure made a Continental Breakfast something to look forward to.

Agreed that most "dark" roasts here are either too bitter or too burned. I'm working on a stash of Costa Rican French Roast a friend gifted me--close but not the same. My compromise is Equal Exchange French Roast -- pretty good and supporting a good cause.

So, Don where do you get Equal Exchange French Roast?  Thanks in advance.  Hot Ajax.

Handy Don
1 minute ago, hotajax said:

So, Don where do you get Equal Exchange French Roast?  Thanks in advance.  Hot Ajax.

A couple I know sells it as a fund raiser for the church, along with the chocolate and other stuff. It's also available online here.

hotajax
1 minute ago, Handy Don said:

A couple I know sells it as a fund raiser for the church, along with the chocolate and other stuff. It's also available online here.

Thanks.  Much appreciated.  It's got some impressive reviews.  I think I'll order a few.  Costco is even getting pricey on their better brews.  Thanks again.

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

@ebinmaine ??? 

Yessuh!

My Bear 🐻 cowboy 🤠 coffee is a home brew made from inexpensive medium size ground medium to light roast. 

It's a sweet boiled cup of deliciousness that's been recently @Sparky approved. 

It'll sure get ya moving too.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

I like the black rifle stuff Kev mentioned but can get abit $$ from some sources.

Edited by WHX??
Speeling
  • Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Boss brought some of this back from his last vacation to New Mexico...it's good stuff...everyone liked it so well its all we make at the shop now, and I regularly drink it at home as well

https://nmpinoncoffee.com/products/dark-pinon?taxon_id=1

AMC RULES

Screenshot_20220927_064049.jpg.c3d7b48dce4cff83c21dde834c62738f.jpg

Screenshot_20220927-063908_Chrome.jpg.a4a4105bd490beb1d4eede9b137506cc.jpg

• Excellent 1

rmaynard

I've always used Folgers Classic Medium roast for my daily morning coffee. I use a drip brewer and put 1-1/2 times the recommended amount of coffee in the filter. For my Keurig I use Peets Major Dickason's Dark Roast.

• Like 1

rmaynard

Back in 2015, we had breakfast at the Kona Cafe in the Polynesian resort at Disney World. They served real Kona coffee, not a blend. It was great, but try to find 100% Kona locally and you might have to take a second mortgage on your house. 

Edited by rmaynard
Spelling
  • Like 1

Horse Newbie
13 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Probably to the porcelain throne after the first cup !   :lol:

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
Just now, Horse Newbie said:

Probably to the porcelain throne after the first cup !   :lol:

Oh no no no no no.  

Absolutely not. 

It's lovely stuff. 

Delicious. Smooth. Sweeter than comparable drip coffee. 

I tried a bunch of different methods to make it when I figured this out a few years ago. 

• Like 1

WHX??

My wife got me a Kuerig for the one cup ease. Trouble is one has a tough time finding cups that are loaded for bear. Never heard of this Peets brand. 

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, WHX?? said:

My wife got me a Kuerig for the one cup ease. Trouble is one has a tough time finding cups that are loaded for bear. 

Agreed. 

I haven't tried any single cup coffee in quite some time. Last I knew it was basically brown flavored water.  

It's great to hear that someone has been able to produce a usable java. 

Handy Don
2 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

My wife got me a Kuerig for the one cup ease. Trouble is one has a tough time finding cups that are loaded for bear. Never heard of this Peets brand. 

You can get refillable Keurig "cups" for using your own favorite blend.

This is an example.

• Like 1

WHX??

I got a couple of those Don and a whole bean grinder so it may come to that if i can find something that will grow hair on yer palms. 

Spoiled by the packaged crap tho. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Haha 1

Wheelhorse#1
On 9/27/2022 at 7:22 AM, rmaynard said:

Back in 2015, we had breakfast at the Kona Cafe in the Polynesian resort at Disney World. They served real Kona coffee, not a blend. It was great, but try to find 100% Kona locally and you might have to take a second mortgage on your house. 

Yes Sir its great coffee.About 10 yrs ago visiting Hawaii we had  Kona coffees at a Cafe,best cup I ever had till this day  Bought some online once $$ ,it was good but not as good as I remembered,pretty sure I got ripped off, serves me right .

Edited by Wheelhorse#1

Wheelhorse#1
On 9/26/2022 at 7:16 PM, ebinmaine said:

Yessuh!

My Bear 🐻 cowboy 🤠 coffee is a home brew made from inexpensive medium size ground medium to light roast. 

It's a sweet boiled cup of deliciousness that's been recently @Sparky approved. 

@ebinmaineSounds good, ya got a recipe for that ?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

@ebinmaineSounds good, ya got a recipe for that ?

I been meaning to make a video of my methodology. 

I'll try to write it out so a human can understand it. 😃

• Like 1

Wheelhorse#1
14 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I been meaning to make a video of my methodology. 

I'll try to write it out so a human can understand it. 😃

That would be great If you could.Be sure to keep it simple for a half wit redneck like myself .😜

• Haha 1