ebinmaine

Backhoe....

ebinmaine
37 minutes ago, Retired Wrencher said:

Looking good Eric. Get that big block 16 back to work.  I like it!

Thanks Gary. 

I moved a bit of stone yesterday. 

This machine is an excellent addition to the Herd. 

@wallfish We had our friend over yesterday while the Backhoe was out. 

This friend is a professional fabricator. 

This friend is extremely impressed with the build quality on your machine. 

Well done. 

• Like 3

peter lena

@ebinmaine thanks for the visual tour of your  work / ideas , can really refer to the verification of how things are working . a lot of your work , is not taking for granted  that something works , found especially that the carb related linkage details are the fix / start answer , like my starts quick / simple / easy . very often it was a slight adjustment , or assist that made the difference . as well known not everyone has the interest or experience , to easily correct a problem . ex, just the rerouting / firming up , lubrication of a choke/ throttle cable , is like slick  instead of a  , rusty / binding control , notice your clear fuel lines , experimenting ?  I  regularly try something else to a chronic problem , add some KROIL to your fuel , for a decarbonation  experiment , really gets after varnish , stay on it , Pete 

wallfish
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

@wallfish We had our friend over yesterday while the Backhoe was out. 

This friend is a professional fabricator. 

This friend is extremely impressed with the build quality on your machine. 

Well done. 

That's clearly a reason you should pay me more? :D

See you next week

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
28 minutes ago, peter lena said:

notice your clear fuel lines , experimenting ?

I started using see-through fuel lines a few years ago. I like to see where in the system the fuel is if I'm having a starting issue.  

I've tried several brands. 

The only thing is... None of it is lasting well. 

Seems like I'm getting maybe 3 seasons out of the lines. 

Likely I'll go back to a good rubber line and/or a metal/rubber combo when this roll is used up.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

wallfish
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

The only thing is... None of it is lasting well. 

Gets hard as a rock and can cause leaks. I was dumb enough to buy 25 ft. Anyone want 20 ft of it?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Gets hard as a rock and can cause leaks. I was dumb enough to buy 25 ft. Anyone want 20 ft of it?

I've never tried true clear vinyl because I knew it do just that. 

That's what I found with the yellow snowmobile line as well though.  

I've been using a blue colored clear line. It's ..... Ok..... 

• Like 1

pfrederi
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I've never tried true clear vinyl because I knew it do just that. 

That's what I found with the yellow snowmobile line as well though.  

I've been using a blue colored clear line. It's ..... Ok..... 

I have about 6 ft of yellow and 20 of the blue stuff.  I have gone back to Gates Fuel line from McMaster. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Retired Wrencher

Eric:   I've been using a blue colored clear line. It's ..... Ok.....  Have used this on sum power equipment it does not break down like rubber and a lot cheaper the black rubber. The good stuff is just crazy $$$ now because of fuel injection.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Just posting this link for future reference.  

We'll be installing a gear reduction steering system and I wanted to see what exactly it looks like.  

1703784776_Screenshot_20231028-0909172.png.38d999dc66b28420305a42fbda02ca32.png

• Like 2

Horse Newbie

What exactly is the difference between a gear-reduction set up and a regular set up.

I can’t see a difference, but maybe there’s a component in there I am missing…

• Like 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

What exactly is the difference between a gear-reduction set up and a regular set up.

I can’t see a difference, but maybe there’s a component in there I am missing…

In the above pic, item 19 steering block carries a cross shaft the mates the gear on the lower end of the vertical steering column which goes to the wheel. 

That cross shaft has an extra gear that doubles the amount of turns for the steering wheel, thereby cutting the required effort of the operator in half. 

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

In the above pic, item 19 steering block carries a cross shaft the mates the gear on the lower end of the vertical steering column which goes to the wheel. 

That cross shaft has an extra gear that doubles the amount of turns for the steering wheel, thereby cutting the required effort of the operator in half. 

Physics…and geometry…?

• Like 2

Handy Don
Just now, Horse Newbie said:

Physics…and geometry…?

Half the force, twice the distance = same work! :P :hide:

• Like 3

Horse Newbie

The extra turns on the steering wheel is worth it… feels like power steering..

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
Just now, Horse Newbie said:

feels like power steering..

That's what we're going for. 

• Excellent 1

wallfish
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

That's what we're going for. 

I still have a complete hydraulic power steering setup from a Simplicity Sunstar that was a thought for that tractor too. Another project that was never achieved! LOL

T off the hydraulics with an adjustable priority flow divider to feed the steering valve, mount the cylinder and some custom tie rods, Viola, power steering!  

• Excellent 2

ebinmaine
33 minutes ago, wallfish said:

I still have a complete hydraulic power steering setup from a Simplicity Sunstar that was a thought for that tractor too. Another project that was never achieved! LOL

T off the hydraulics with an adjustable priority flow divider to feed the steering valve, mount the cylinder and some custom tie rods, Viola, power steering!  

Well that'd be neat too!! 

Handy Don
32 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Did Sunstar use pure hydraulic steering (i.e. no mechanical connection from steering wheel to tie rods) or is it set up to assist the manual steering?

• Like 1

wallfish
18 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Did Sunstar use pure hydraulic steering (i.e. no mechanical connection from steering wheel to tie rods) or is it set up to assist the manual steering?

Full blown hydraulics. Steering wheel rotary valve then hoses to the steering cylinder.

Another option for your blade setup to angle it! LoL

• Like 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

Full blown hydraulics. Steering wheel rotary valve then hoses to the steering cylinder.

Another option for your blade setup to angle it! LoL

I've sketched an idea that put an electric clutch on the tractor end of the frame with its pulley parallel to the ground. Wrap a wire cable around the pulley, run the ends over two garage door pulleys for 90º change and attach one end to each side for roll lock. Kinda like a capstan.

The power steering idea is cool, though. Hmmm. Course if I had hydraulics on the 854 I could go full out for lift, rotate, and roll! 

Getting close to workable for a twist pivot that’ll be strong against the other degrees of motion.

• Excellent 1

Pullstart

@wallfish would you be able to steer it at all with it not running the hydraulic pump?

• Like 2

wallfish
22 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

@wallfish would you be able to steer it at all with it not running the hydraulic pump?

It's set up on a manual transmission so the pump would need to be running. A hydro could be plumbed to that steering valve

Boat style hydraulic steering uses the mechanical power of the steering wheel to push the fluid so that's something I've thought about trying too but again, never got to it yet.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
On 10/28/2023 at 3:37 PM, Handy Don said:

I've sketched an idea that put an electric clutch on the tractor end of the frame with its pulley parallel to the ground. Wrap a wire cable around the pulley, run the ends over two garage door pulleys for 90º change and attach one end to each side for roll lock. Kinda like a capstan.

The power steering idea is cool, though. Hmmm. Course if I had hydraulics on the 854 I could go full out for lift, rotate, and roll! 

Getting close to workable for a twist pivot that’ll be strong against the other degrees of motion.

Don if you don't mind sharing that drawing I'd be interested to see what you have in mind. 

ebinmaine

I'm putting another @cleat creation here as a note for when we rebuild the back half of the Wally Digger Backhoe.